Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should host the 2020 summer Olympics? Istanbul, Madrid, or Tokyo?
Istanbul 37 50.68%
Madrid 15 20.55%
Tokyo 21 28.77%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,478,308 times

Advertisements

We'll know tomorrow from Buenos Aires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 PM

21 posts, read 35,745 times
hi from istanbul.. its already so crowded here we dont need extra roads and more hotels and more buildings, i hopewe dont get that olympics.. we should do it when IOC come and asks us if Turks are willing to hold this event..

i dont like the way our president going through oceans and begging votes from bunch of bribed seniles.
its not Turkish style. i hope it goes to Tokio

i m living here for 8 years and been to Grand bazaar only twice. i dont understand grandbazaar obsession of western people
you guys should visit anatolia, if you like old style bazaars .

Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I voted for Tokyo but I can see Madrid also.

I am personally against Istanbul, not because of the city but because of the bizzare attitudes of the Turks. Apparently they do not like anyone else. Here is the positive favorability results of Turkish voters on the Pew Research Global Attitudes poll:

15% favorable - the United States
15% favorable - NATO alliance (even though Turkey is part of it!!)
16% favorable - Russia
17% favorable - the United Nations (only 17% favorable for the UN!!!)
21% favorable - the European Union
22% favorable - China
26% favorable - Iran

Opinion of the UN (Unfavorable) (2012) - Indicators Database | Pew Global Attitudes Project

This is the website that shows the latest polls. If you notice, Turkey is usually at the bottom of the list for favorability of other countries and near the top for unfavorable. This is not new, this is something I have noticed for several years now.

I guess you can sort of understand the various reasons why some Turks may be upset with countries like the United States, Russia, the EU and Iran. But by these numbers? And what did China ever do wrong to the Turks? 61% of Turks do not like the United Nations? Most do not like NATO which helped preserve their independence from the Soviet Union during the Cold War? I have even seen polls where the Turks are against Hamas and other Muslim groups.

Sorry about the long rant. I just cannot figure the Turks out LOL. Maybe there are some Turkish people here who can explain this.
let me explain china issue first, china tortures Turks that live in middle asia. east Turkistan area.
Turks are mostly positive for japanese and south korea, but not for chinese . Good thing we dont understand the difference when we see one :P

we never ever needed NATO to preserve independence against Soviet Union .. Turks and russians have faught between 1500-1900.. way before NATO.. russians cant even invade finland. your comment was funny.. but no surprise coming from an American. You guys "save" every nation at the end, dont you..

Turkish do not like Hamas.they are terrorist and killed our citizens as well.
we have very little in common with arabians and iranians so they are not popular or favorable as you said either.i prefer americans to them
we have a saying in Turkish, The only friends of Turks are Turks
but whatever polls say, you ll see Turks are friendly if ya come around . agree with bizarre comment tho

Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 AM

940 posts, read 3,185,233 times
the vote is under way.... winner to be announced....

Old 09-07-2013, 02:40 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,517,076 times
Tokyo gets it.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:05 PM

5,781 posts, read 5,082,960 times
I would have supported Istanbul, except of the Turks' support of that ridiculous "East Turkistan" business....never! So Tokyo wins because Istanbul is so weak. Even with a potential nuke leak disaster, Tokyo won because Istanbul's candidacy is so weak.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:26 PM

6,464 posts, read 8,155,008 times
Congrats, Tokyo.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM

940 posts, read 3,185,233 times
I'm confident the conflict in Syria and the exacerbation of middle eastern instability contributed to Istanbul's dull chances. Spain is suffering from a great depression and Japan is growing again. Tokyo already has world class infrastructure, so I guess the vote makes sense. Congrats Japan.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:23 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,658,949 times
Tokyo!!!!!
now, I can't wait to see what their olympic logo will be? Perhaps a Hello Kitty themed one>?

Old 09-07-2013, 04:25 PM

2012 london
2016 rio
2020 ?
2024 =>Rome and Paris will be candidate.. as well as chicago . most of europeans voted Tokio today, so olympics would come back to europe in 2024. if istanbul had won today's poll, 2024 would go to chicago..

this decision has notin to do with syria, nuclear radiation leak, or economy..

its ALL POLITICS ..

Last edited by Rozenn; 09-08-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World