U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:55 AM

84 posts, read 207,313 times

Advertisements

Some Africa countries and Asia.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,858,806 times
South Asia, Indonesia, Papua-New Guinea

Old 06-01-2013, 11:13 AM

10,524 posts, read 14,532,594 times
Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh in India.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 AM

23,851 posts, read 24,615,148 times
I'm an American, but my family is originally from India. So, that country doesn't seem as exotic to me. Still fascinating though.

I think of Brazil as exotic. Some countries in Africa too.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM

6,732 posts, read 12,536,292 times
There is positive, neutral, and negative versions of foreign/exotic some people might be forgetting to realize, showing a variation of opinions and viewing in the foreign exotic reality to people.

Based on my personal preferences:

Positive, good, encouraging kind of foreign/exotic: Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan, some areas of India, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia, Fiji, Tahiti Polynesia, Argentina, Austria, Bhutan

Neutral form of foreign/exotic:
New Zealand, Some of Central Asia: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan Eurasian region: Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, some of Middle East and Maghreb: Israel, UAE, Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco, Indonesia

Negative, bad, discouraging form of foreign/exotic: Most of Africa: Nigeria, Angola, Cameroon, Some of the Middle East: Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Syria, Qatar

Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 AM

24,682 posts, read 52,049,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh in India.
Why those states in particular?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,795 times
Bali is the most stereotypically exotic place that I've visited. I tend to associate exoticism with being poor and tropical with an interesting culture. Burma was probably the most foreign place I've been to, but largely due to the lack of development.

Places in South Asia like Rajasthan and Varanasi in India, as well as Nepal and Sri Lanka also come to mind, which is why I'd like to go there once I have the time and money.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,960,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why those states in particular?
Because Uttar Pradesh is the most historic state in India, also the state with Varansi. It has the largest collection of cities in India as well (Kanpur, Lucknow, Ghaziabad, Agra, Meerut, Allahabad) and has the Taj Mahal in Agra. If these cities had the lax definitions for metropolitans like the United States, all of them would be metropolitans of 4-5 million.

If it was a country, it would be one of the most populated in the world and one of the densest (5th most populated country, just ahead of Brazil). It's the most populous state in India with 200,000,000 people and on the cusp of surpassing 4th most populated country of Indonesia.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 06-06-2013 at 05:12 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 06:53 AM

24,682 posts, read 52,049,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenner116 View Post
Bali is the most stereotypically exotic place that I've visited. I tend to associate exoticism with being poor and tropical with an interesting culture. Burma was probably the most foreign place I've been to, but largely due to the lack of development.

Places in South Asia like Rajasthan and Varanasi in India, as well as Nepal and Sri Lanka also come to mind, which is why I'd like to go there once I have the time and money.
Burma has an evocative name and is musterious. I find it as exotic as Thailand, although Cambodia seems very exotic to me, i mean they eat tarantulas like French fries for crying out loud lol.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM

6,732 posts, read 12,536,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Burma has an evocative name and is musterious. I find it as exotic as Thailand, although Cambodia seems very exotic to me, i mean they eat tarantulas like French fries for crying out loud lol.
That is surprising if this is an occurrence in Cambodia. Where did you encounter this speculative observation about Cambodia?

Well, I expect most people in Cambodia to be mostly vegetarian, or at least just never eating anything with tarantula spiders. Lol The Cambodian food cuisine appears to never allow the use of something not edible in the cuisine. I rather never associate Cambodia with people eating something not edible.

The temples/historic architecture in Cambodia, Buddhism spiritual cultural customs, and being very connected to a foreign/exotic kind of life appears to go with Cambodia’s cultural image much more.

Yes, Burma is exotic, but in my opinion a more negative version of foreign/exotic, mostly just because of how the recent oppressive government regime attempted to ruin Burmese society over there. However, maybe Burma/Myanmar at least is having some hope for a better future and eventually changing the government system and allowing this country to become more pleasant and welcoming to the majority of the population and tourists.

Thailand is a much better and more positive version of foreign/exotic compared to Burma for plenty of reasons.

The cultural image and ideas related to being foreign/exotic is multidimensional and having certain easy to figure out indicators about it vs. the more obscure/mysterious components about foreign exotic.

There is the positive, good, encouraging kind of foreign/exotic: Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan, some areas of India, China. Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia, Fiji, Tahiti Polynesia, Argentina, Austria, Bhutan vs. the neutral in between form of foreign/exotic: New Zealand, Indonesia, some of Central Asia: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Eurasian region: Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, some of Middle East and Maghreb: Israel, UAE, Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco, and also a negative, bad, discouraging form of foreign/exotic: Most of Africa: Nigeria, Angola, Cameroon, Some of the Middle East: Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahran, Syria, Qatar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.