Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The country with the richest culture is:
Indonesia 5 3.21%
Egypt 14 8.97%
Denmark 2 1.28%
Iran 11 7.05%
Germany 21 13.46%
Vietnam 8 5.13%
Japan 26 16.67%
Morocco 4 2.56%
Australia 1 0.64%
Israel 13 8.33%
Italy 47 30.13%
United Kingdom 41 26.28%
China 42 26.92%
South Korea 6 3.85%
Philippines 2 1.28%
Peru 3 1.92%
United States 47 30.13%
India 32 20.51%
Thailand 10 6.41%
Spain 25 16.03%
Russia 16 10.26%
Greece 18 11.54%
Netherlands 7 4.49%
Ireland 4 2.56%
Mexico 16 10.26%
France 37 23.72%
Argentina 3 1.92%
Iraq 6 3.85%
Poland 3 1.92%
Turkey 10 6.41%
Other country not listed (explain in post) 20 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol Hollywood is mostly bad. I love American films, but there usually Indy films.
Than why is Hollywood so successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
Walt Disney.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Looking at the parcial results: Greece, Germany, Iraq and Israel are really underrated, in the other hand, India is heavily overrated. The rest are OK.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes, Taco Bell is my favorite.
I'll occasionally eat that healthy crap like Panaera Bread and Chipotle

and remember the richest Americans make jobs for middle and low class Americans.

We have plenty of independent owned restaurants,

Oh please, there is a Starbucks in the Lourve.
Okay, small business owners who used to run independent stores and restaurants finally become employees at WalMart and McDonald's earning minimum wages.

That's the way the richest Americans create jobs for middle-class former small business owners.

Taco Bell is your favorite??? Are you aware of the ingredients they use? or you just don't care?
Taco Bell Beef

Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Great Britain is a slouch compared to maybe a handful of countries out there for classical music; Germany (though split into multiple nations for a good long time), Italy (also split), Austria, Russia, and possibly France. Holst and Handel aren't really that bad.
Handel is really a German composer, he sounds like one, even if he moved to England.
So UK is definitely a slouch when it comes to classical music department.

George Frideric Handel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Art is a weird one. Certainly in the mid to later 20th century, British artists have had an outsized reputation compared to other countries with people like David Hockney, Francis Bacon, and the YBAs. Going further into the past, the only truly great figure is William Blake who was ridiculously idiosyncratic and less than rational.
So... comparably to the French, the Italians, the Germans, the Russians - UK is a slouch in painting department yet again.

How about such category as "dance" ( as it's mentioned in OP) ?
Nope, not again - nothing outstanding in UK as well.

Quote:
Anyhow, yea, British literature and theatre are arts, so it's unfair to not give these arts their dues. Given what you've said about the rationality and rigidness of the British, it seems like you're missing a large counterpoint by excluding some of their poets and writers who sometimes dived headfirst into spirituality and passion. They even had ridiculous figures who lived such (i.e. Lord Byron, the original Byronic hero).
Their poets are not bad, but English language itself is not as fine instrument for poetry as, say, French. Or Russian language for this matter. So that really leaves us with literature, and literature as I've already mentioned is closely related to philosophy. THAT of course Great Britain has, but it sits well with the rational mind, and that's what I've said - British culture is more about the law and rationality than anything else.

Quote:
Additionally, there's more than just the arts. The British had a wealth of philosophers, thinkers, scientists, and engineers that have contributed a great deal to culture.
Yes, yes - but that's the point, while British culture is rather rich in this department, it's clearly lacking points in other departments, and so are other offshoots of British culture - the US, Canada and Australia. You can see there the same traits, ( although up to a certain degree they are even worse off in "rich culture department" than the UK itself.)

Last edited by erasure; 06-07-2013 at 11:34 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Okay, small business owners who used to run independent stores and restaurants finally become employees at WalMart and McDonald's earning minimum wages.
Idk about that, all i see is teenagers working at WalMart and McDonald's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Taco Bell is your favorite??? Are you aware of the ingredients they use? or you just don't care?
Taco Bell Beef
You know Doritos locos tacos is one of the most amazing things on the face of this earth.
the only food better is the Boca Chica's Taco House in Saint Paul.
if you are ever in MN you have to stop there.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Yes Russia is a beautiful country.
Remember - those are your words, not mine. I would never call Russia a "beautiful country," since I am all too aware about her dark side, but when it comes to a "beautiful side of Russia" - yes, it sure has it as well; it's rich in culture, it's profoundly deep and very original.

Quote:
I have some REAL matryoshka dolls from Saint Petersburg!
but how many Russian show do you see when you turn on the television? how many Russian restaurants are in your city? Russian music on your radio stations?

there are 1 plus billion televisions in the world, i wonder how many of them show US tv shows or movies?
Hollywood International: the Film Industry by the Numbers
That's precisely because Russian culture ( as French, German or Italian) does not have a universal appeal.
When you are watching Russian ballet, you are getting an idea that it's something for the connoisseurs, a strive for something extraordinary, where not everyone can reach those heights. When you look at some other "things Russian," "things German" or "things French" - again, you are getting the idea right away that you have to belong to the club.
But American culture is a simplified culture comparably to the old European cultures, and that's why it has a mass appeal. This simplified culture is specifically designed for it.

Last edited by erasure; 06-08-2013 at 12:29 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Than why is Hollywood so successful?
For the same reason why children prefer candies to broccoli))))
Hollywood is entertaining - it's that simple.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
You may not like fast food but look how much money McDonald's, BK, Subway, etc... are making.
What does how much money they're making have to do with culture, or cultural value? Some of the greatest painters and composers were ignored or despised during their lifetime. Money isn't a measure of anything but herd taste and the influence of marketing. If you want to stick up for American culture, talk about America's celebrated architects, sculptors, writers, painters, designers and philosophers. Everyone else is discussing the equivalent of Thoreau, Hemingway, Frank Lloyd Wright, etc. and you're talking about McDonalds and Coca-Cola. What about gang warfare? Were you aware that that's one of the US' most successful exports to Central America? I haven't heard you mention that.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:18 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Handel is really a German composer, he sounds like one, even if he moved to England.
So UK is definitely a slouch when it comes to classical music department.

George Frideric Handel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So... comparably to the French, the Italians, the Germans, the Russians - UK is a slouch in painting department yet again.

How about such category as "dance" ( as it's mentioned in OP) ?
Nope, not again - nothing outstanding in UK as well.

Their poets are not bad, but English language itself is not as fine instrument for poetry as, say, French. Or Russian language for this matter. So that really leaves us with literature, and literature as I've already mentioned is closely related to philosophy. THAT of course Great Britain has, but it sits well with the rational mind, and that's what I've said - British culture is more about the law and rationality than anything else.

Yes, yes - but that's the point, while British culture is rather rich in this department, it's clearly lacking points in other departments, and so are other offshoots of British culture - the US, Canada and Australia. You can see there the same traits, ( although up to a certain degree they are even worse off in "rich culture department" than the UK itself.)
You don't know what you're talking about! British literature and music is known throughout the world! Turner and Constable are revered the world over instead of spouting rubbish show some proof that they are 'sub par' Elgar is a renowned composer, English sports are played all over the world (the EPL is the worlds most popular sports league) English actors and actresses are known all over the world - the English language IS the worlds language, The UK had an Empire that covered 1/4 of the worlds population and during that time British culture was exported worldwide. The world knows about Robin Hood, the nights of the round table, Sherlock Holmes and god knows what other historical stories. Shakespeare is the worlds foremost literature figure and he is studied all over the world. Now lerts talk about music, Britain has contributed more to music in the last 80 years than the whole of the rest of Europe put together, if you want we can compare lists of world famous musicians, groups like The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Elton John etc etc etc I could go on for pages. As for youre bizarre statement on dance Im afraid I dont know much about that - is the foxtrot a British dance? The quickstep? Perhaps you would be kind enough to list dances and their 'inventors for me if you sre such an expert? You proclaiming that Britain is culturally poor is just making you look silly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World