Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 PM

71 posts, read 149,412 times

Advertisements

here the forbes list for most visited cities in the world in 2012.

1.london
2.paris
3.bangkok
4.singapore
5.istanbul
6.hong kong
7.madrid
8.dubai
9.frankfurt
10.kuala lumpur
11.seoul
12.rome
13.new york
14.shanghai
15.barcelona
16.milan
17.amsterdam
18.vienna
19.beijing
20.taipei

i would have thought paris to be number 1. and berlin to be there instead of frankfurt. but i vuess there are many ways of doing surveys so who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 PM

484 posts, read 871,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongens View Post
here the forbes list for most visited cities in the world in 2012.

1.london
2.paris
3.bangkok
4.singapore
5.istanbul
6.hong kong
7.madrid
8.dubai
9.frankfurt
10.kuala lumpur
11.seoul
12.rome
13.new york
14.shanghai
15.barcelona
16.milan
17.amsterdam
18.vienna
19.beijing
20.taipei

i would have thought paris to be number 1. and berlin to be there instead of frankfurt. but i vuess there are many ways of doing surveys so who knows?
This is not a Forbes list. It's the same MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index, but from 2012. MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index 2012 | MasterCard Social Media Newsroom. Forbes was merely reporting on it.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:04 AM

71 posts, read 149,412 times
right you are. still tremendous difference from one year to another. i dont think these surveys are very accurate certain cities got a third of tourists the did a year ago while others tripled
the numbers?hard to believe.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:39 AM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
1.With China and India alone having nearly 3 billion people, I can see how Bangkok, a city close to both of these countries, can be a top destination for international tourists.

2.Further, there are several hundred million more foreigners within a few hours flight of the city.

3.International visitors to NYC is very impressive considering NYC over a 6 hour flight from even the nearest European city and over 10 to 15 hours (flight) from several South American and Asian countries.
1.What is close?
Delhi, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Surat, Mumbai, Pune, Harbin, Shenyang, Beijing, Tianjin, Nanjing and Shanghai are all over a 4 hour flight from Bangkok, the most Eastern part of India and most Southern part of China is still 2+ hours from Bangkok.

2.What is within a few hours? for me that's 2 hours, that only leaves Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar (except 2 most Northern provinces), Peninsular Malaysia and the most Northern part of Indonesian island Sumatra... i count around 190 million people, not forget many of them live in poverty.

3.All South American destinations can be reached within 10 hours from NYC except the 2 most Southern provinces of Brazil, Uruguay and like 95% of Argentina and Chile.
Ushuaia, Argentina's most Southern city, only 13 hours and 40 mins. from NYC so i don't know where you get the 15 hours from.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,135,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
3.All South American destinations can be reached within 10 hours from NYC except the 2 most Southern provinces of Brazil, Uruguay and like 95% of Argentina and Chile.
Ushuaia, Argentina's most Southern city, only 13 hours and 40 mins. from NYC so i don't know where you get the 15 hours from.
I guess the OP was including layovers. The overwhelming majority of NYC-Santiago flights include a layover in Atlanta, Miami or Panama City, so unless you want to pay for the 11h direct flight, it will take you around 15-18h with layover(s).

I agree with SouthCali's point -- Bangkok numbers are influenced by its location, that much is obvious. What is also obvious is that it isn't the only reason why it's at the top, otherwise Kuala Lumpur or HK would have the same numbers.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I guess the OP was including layovers. The overwhelming majority of NYC-Santiago flights include a layover in Atlanta, Miami or Panama City, so unless you want to pay for the 11h direct flight, it will take you around 15-18h with layover(s).

I agree with SouthCali's point -- Bangkok numbers are influenced by its location, that much is obvious. What is also obvious is that it isn't the only reason why it's at the top, otherwise Kuala Lumpur or HK would have the same numbers.
The same is even more said for Singapore. Every flight out of Changi International Airport is an international flight. The city is basicly the entire country.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
I wonder how these numbers were affected (or not) by "international visitors" coming to work. This would pretty much just apply to Singapore and possibly Hong Kong, where lots of workers commute from across the border each day. I know lots of people from Johor Bahru, Malaysia work in Singapore and people from all over Southern China (mostly Shenzhen) work in HK. None of the other cities on the list lie on an international border with other large metropolitan areas close by.

Most likely workers traveling from Mainland/Macau to Hong Kong don't count, or tourists from China for that matter, since they're all considered PRC citizens. If they did count, HK's numbers likely would be astronomically far above any other country's. Singapore I'm not sure about, but they certainly don't count commuters every single day because that obviously would have inflated Singapore's numbers well beyond what's listed here.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:37 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Just noticed that this is "overnight" visitors. And then I clicked the link to hear the methodology and it sounds like they measured air travel alone. Anyway, not very certain how they produced these numbers, especially since their title claims to be for "2013" which isn't even halfway over and we haven't really reached travel season yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World