Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,326,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
As we drove around the town, I noticed a Gypsy ghetto. It was unattractive because there were people wandering around aimlessly; the neighborhood looked disarrayed.
By the way, this is what a gypsy neighborhood looks like in Romania:
Gipsy palaces | Only in Romania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,356 times
Default Gypsies are treated better in Spain than anywhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempranillo View Post
No they aren't.
I have been rised in a town with more than a 40% of gypsies, I'm not going to write about them becouse if I do I'm going to be banned.
The European Commission, E.U. member countries and the Roma themselves all agree that Spain has become the model for integrating Gypsies.

Of the 10-12 million Roma living in Europe, Spain has the second biggest community, estimated at 970,000, or about 2% of the total population. And the country spends almost €36 million annually bringing them into the fold. In Spain, only 5% of gypsies live in makeshift camps, and about half of Roma are homeowners. Just about all Gypsies in Spain have access to health care.

Almost all Gypsy children start elementary school (although only about 30% compete it), and more than 85% of the country's Gypsies are literate. "Spain's use of European social funds is a good example for other member states," said E.U. Commission Vice President and Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding in an e-mail to TIME. "The Spanish government has shown that it is working on integrating the Roma population, and we've seen some positive results."

Read more: While France Deports Roma Gypsies, Spain Integrates Them - TIME

Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,760,764 times
In the case of Gypsies, I have sometimes seen defenders of them argue that they live that way because of discrimination. They also argue that they are discriminated against because of the way they live. I think that is called "circular logic".

Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,576,281 times
The only self-identified Romani person in Australia I've ever known to exist is a fortune teller my Mum used to go to at a local weekend market. There isn't a distinct/visible group of Romani or travellers here, those who did immigrate seem to be well integrated or at the very least not well known.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 AM

872 posts, read 1,382,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
In the case of Gypsies, I have sometimes seen defenders of them argue that they live that way because of discrimination. They also argue that they are discriminated against because of the way they live. I think that is called "circular logic".
Reasoning of that kind is not fallacious if it is describing an actual positive feedback cycle. ie. P causes Q, and Q causes P, leading to a vicious circle. I can't, however, comment whether or not this is reflective of reality and Gypsies are actually caught in a vicious cycle of this kind.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Is this group integrated? Are they very different from the rest of people? All the info. can be interesting.

Discuss.
in rural South Carolina, they've been here for about 200-300 years. Many fought in the American revolution, were granted large tracts of land, and never left. they aren't "gypsies" in the sense that they're nomadic, but they look ethnically different from most people here, and they tend to stick to themselves in geographically isolated communities. One side of my family has land that abuts a "gypsy" family.

they're known for scams, like offering to repave your driveway (and just painting it instead.)

they're also known for fighting. in fact as a teenager I was in a big brawl with a bunch of gypsys in the middle of the swamp on a saturday night, where one of them hit me across the head with a metal fold-up chair. So I kind of laugh when people say they're "harmless." They don't seem to be the type to shoot you or murder you, they just seem to view fighting as 'good clean fun.'

For me, i'm really intrigued at this idea that they (maybe) have maintained some kind of unique culture across the Atlantic.

Last edited by le roi; 06-13-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM

857 posts, read 1,653,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The Romani Gypsies you see begging in Paris can be seen in New York City.
there is very few of them in the rest of the country.
They are probably invisible in the U.S.

Few people are aware of their existence at all.

I don't even know how to classify them. White? Non-white Hispanic? Asian and pacific islanders? Black? Asian Indians? American Indians? I am clueless.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 AM

2,358 posts, read 7,072,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
They are probably invisible in the U.S.

Few people are aware of their existence at all.

I don't even know how to classify them. White? Non-white Hispanic? Asian and pacific islanders? Black? Asian Indians? American Indians? I am clueless.
Gypsies are mostly in Europe. They are also white with dark hair and eyes. Women grow their hair up to their waist and they just wear long skirts that reach their ankles, they don't wear trousers at all.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,760,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
in rural South Carolina, they've been here for about 200-300 years. Many fought in the American revolution, were granted large tracts of land, and never left. they aren't "gypsies" in the sense that they're nomadic, but they look ethnically different from most people here, and they tend to stick to themselves in geographically isolated communities. One side of my family has land that abuts a "gypsy" family.

they're known for scams, like offering to repave your driveway (and just painting it instead.)

they're also known for fighting. in fact as a teenager I was in a big brawl with a bunch of gypsys in the middle of the swamp on a saturday night, where one of them hit me across the head with a metal fold-up chair. So I kind of laugh when people say they're "harmless." They don't seem to be the type to shoot you or murder you, they just seem to view fighting as 'good clean fun.'

For me, i'm really intrigued at this idea that they (maybe) have maintained some kind of unique culture across the Atlantic.

There is a colony of Irish Travelers in North Augusta, South Carolina.

I'm not sure that the folks you describe are actually "gypsies".

Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There is a colony of Irish Travelers in North Augusta, South Carolina.

I'm not sure that the folks you describe are actually "gypsies".
yup. North Augusta is one of them. The ones in my hometown were colloquially called 'turks'.

I am also not sure if either of these groups are "actually gypsies." I'm not clear on what exactly what qualifies a group of people as such, and I'll leave it up to others to figure that out.

I just know that when it comes to these American groups, (A) Some of them share the same stereotypes as gypsies, and (B) People here sometimes refer to them as gypsies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanichal

Melungeon DNA Study Reveals Ancestry, Upsets 'A Whole Lot Of People'

Last edited by le roi; 06-14-2013 at 04:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World