Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and/or visit?
WA state for both 11 15.28%
UK for both 27 37.50%
WA for living, UK for visiting 25 34.72%
UK for living, WA for visiting 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 05:58 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times

Advertisements

There is the US vs UK thread, but let's match it up to one state to be more fair. Also to make it more interesting, the poll has separate living and visiting options. So which do you prefer as far as:

- Climate
- Scenery/nature
- Cities
- Culture
- Cost of living
- Safety
- Economy
- Future
- Anything else you'd like to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 04:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 10 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
There is the US vs UK thread, but let's match it up to one state to be more fair. Also to make it more interesting, the poll has separate living and visiting options. So which do you prefer as far as:

- Climate
- Scenery/nature
- Cities
- Culture
- Cost of living
- Safety
- Economy
- Future
- Anything else you'd like to add
It's not going to be much of a comparison.

For instance are you suggesting we compare all UK culture including orchestras, ballets, opera, theatres etc with that on offer in Washington State.

Or should we compare the premier league football clubs, and six nations rugby, or international cricket with the sport on offer in Washington State.

I am aware that Washington state has large companies such as Boeing, Microsoft etc and a lot of tech, but economically it doesn't even match London never mind the UK, although it has a strong economy for it's size and per capita.

Whilst even on the weather front, Seattle doesn't stand out, and even manages a higher rainfall rate than the UK, although high annual rainfall will mean it's a very green and pleasant area to live in.

Other than Seattle most people would be hard pressed to even name a city in Washington State however that's not being unkind to Washington State, as it is a very beautiful area, but it's not comparable to the entire UK.

After Seattle, both Washington State and Canada have a Vancouver, which was named after Captain George Vancouver (22 June 1757 – 10 May 1798) , a British officer of the Royal Navy, whilst George Vancouver decided to name a local mountain after his friend, Rear Admiral Peter Rainier, so there is a Mount Rainier also named after a British Royal Navy officer.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-19-2021 at 05:13 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 07:50 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Whilst even on the weather front, Seattle doesn't stand out, and even manages a higher rainfall rate than the UK, although high annual rainfall will mean it's a very green and pleasant area to live in.
The stereotype of "Washington" as mild, rainy, and green dies hard. The eastern two-thirds of Washington is arid with hot, dry summers and cold, snowy winters. The UK has nothing like it.

I agree that Washington doesn't rival the UK in several of the other categories, but I think it wins in weather for having more variety and an actual summer.

Last edited by saibot; 05-19-2021 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 08:54 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
This seems a bit lopsided given how much larger, and most importantly, more populous the UK is. I think at least make it the Pacific Northwest +/- British Columbia.

Four constituent kingdoms of the Pacific Northwest: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and British Columbia

^that I might take over the UK as a whole, but I think just Washington state is a bit too limiting though I do think the Hoh Rainforest is incredible.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:45 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This seems a bit lopsided given how much larger, and most importantly, more populous the UK is. I think at least make it the Pacific Northwest +/- British Columbia.

Four constituent kingdoms of the Pacific Northwest: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and British Columbia

^that I might take over the UK as a whole, but I think just Washington state is a bit too limiting though I do think the Hoh Rainforest is incredible.
That or limit it to just England to make it at least a little fairer.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:41 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,018,594 times
That's offensive to the UK lol. You're comparing arguably the most popular city in the world (London - competing vs NYC and Paris...) to a state where the only interesting thing is a guy with questionable "work ethic" who somehow got the richest person in the world (Jeff Bezos).

Not only that but you have Scotland, Liverpool etc...

Old 05-19-2021, 10:52 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
That's offensive to the UK lol. You're comparing arguably the most popular city in the world (London - competing vs NYC and Paris...) to a state where the only interesting thing is a guy with questionable "work ethic" who somehow got the richest person in the world (Jeff Bezos).

I don't think it's offensive when you consider the entire question. Personally, I'd rather visit the UK, but live in Washington.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:57 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 10 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The stereotype of "Washington" as mild, rainy, and green dies hard. The eastern two-thirds of Washington is arid with hot, dry summers and cold, snowy winters. The UK has nothing like it.

I agree that Washington doesn't rival the UK in several of the other categories, but I think it wins in weather for having more variety and an actual summer.

The UK doesn't want arid regions or extreme winters, thank you very much.

As for the rainfall I specifically mentioned Seattle, the only really large city with a population above 500,000.

I am however sure that Washington State is very beautiful and has some amazing nature and stunning scenery.

Although as already pointed out it's not comparable with the entire UK.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-19-2021 at 11:07 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 11:01 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
That or limit it to just England to make it at least a little fairer.

Yea, that works as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post

It's also home to uniquely beautiful temperate rainforest that's gorgeous among other natural attractions. There's several notable richest people's in the world within the state which include the Gates as well, but certainly Seattle isn't as vibrant or large a city as London.

The collection of cities in the Pacific Northwest is pretty nice though.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:51 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,018,594 times
^ Oh I'm sure Washington is far more than just Amazon, Microsoft and Starbucks despite my lame joke, in fact now that you mentioned the flora and fauna, a while ago I read somewhere that a little southwards from there (Oregon and California) can be found earth's oldest trees. I personally don't care about plants but it's one of those things you can't debate/object, like if Nepal say they have the highest mountain it's pointless to argue that "yeah but our mountains have more grass" - it's over, Everest is the winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World