Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 4,741,287 times
Reputation: 1272

Advertisements

Canada, US, Australia, UK.

Obviously I'm talking about on average since Newfoundland is not necessarily going to have the same level of friendliness as Vancouver, nor with Seattle have the same level as New Mexico or Cornwall with Birmingham.

I was talking to a British guy from near Bristol who was saying that Americans were way more friendly and nice than English people and he had only been to Seattle and Portland! Which surprised me since we have a reputation for being very reserved when it comes to talking to strangers within the United States. Of course the fact he had a British accent probably has something to do with it since hearing one is such a rarity in the Pacific Northwest people are probably going to be more willing to talk to you, but I still thought it was interesting he found Pacific Northwesterners to be so warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Europe
1,663 posts, read 3,463,408 times
Reputation: 1163
I have been only in UK and USA

So my rank is USA and then UK. I don't know any Canadian but yes some Aussies.

At the firt impression both are friendly, but make British friends is very hard after some time, by the way in USA is easier, but only with white people, sorry but I didn't find black people in USA friendly, it is my experiencie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
 
7,873 posts, read 10,203,950 times
Reputation: 5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Canada, US, Australia, UK.

Obviously I'm talking about on average since Newfoundland is not necessarily going to have the same level of friendliness as Vancouver, nor with Seattle have the same level as New Mexico or Cornwall with Birmingham.

I was talking to a British guy from near Bristol who was saying that Americans were way more friendly and nice than English people and he had only been to Seattle and Portland! Which surprised me since we have a reputation for being very reserved when it comes to talking to strangers within the United States. Of course the fact he had a British accent probably has something to do with it since hearing one is such a rarity in the Pacific Northwest people are probably going to be more willing to talk to you, but I still thought it was interesting he found Pacific Northwesterners to be so warm.
I would view all of those countries as having friendly people although americans tend to appear quite shallow in their friendlieness , that's only a perception on my part most likely though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,606 posts, read 55,673,065 times
Reputation: 11862
I would say Australians and Americans are just different, it's how to directly correlate friendliness. I actually found Americans a bit more outspoken, and more likely to talk to strangers, but Aussies rank well compared to other places in the world in that department. They're more likely to speak their mind and also to be both rude/mean and super nice to you. People gush about customer service in the US but sometimes I find it so fake and phoney. I think the customer service at places like the airport, on public transport, post office was more revealing: a lot of rude, surly and short-tempered people.

Haven't been to the UK yet but yes they are a bit more reserved than Aussies in general, but can be great conversationalists. Canadians are probably in between Brits and Americans, as are Australians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,538 posts, read 2,991,018 times
Reputation: 1747
From most to least friendly

1 UK
2 Australia
3 Canada
4 US

I think it varies a lot more within the countries between different regions than it does from country to country, though. I might be biased, since I'm Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 PM
 
81 posts, read 189,010 times
Reputation: 106
I would say:

1. US
2. UK
3. Canada
4. Australia

Perhaps I should preface everything by saying I am a Black American who has traveled to various parts of the world, and have met enough of each group, in varying parts of the world.

Most of the time, Americans are keenly aware that our country is not the darling of the world, and as such we try, perhaps too much, to prove that we can be just as adaptable, nice, and extroverted as possible. The average American already is, and so this in overdrive is just...a little much at times. However, it does make us nicer amongst the groups. Also, I have noticed as a black man, that the other groups are MUCH more uncomfortable around me as a black man than Americans. Americans are either black themselves or have black friends or are constantly exposed to black people (our culture, if you haven't noticed, has a very noticeable black element) that I, or any other group, don't phase them. The opposite has been true of Australians...ugh.

UK and Canada are mixed bags, but I find the British to be more fun-loving and open to new things. They're pitifully bad at adapting to new things, but I love them for trying. I don't know, but I see a provincialism and a marked inferiority complex among Canadians that's just...pitiful, really. Obviously not all of them, but when they know I'm American, they ALWAYS like to bring up race, trying to goad me into saying how awful and evil the US is and how open and nice Canada is. I've been to the South and I've been to Quebec. Quebec is racist as hell, Canada, and from what I hear, Vancouver isn't exactly some haven if you're not asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 PM
 
81 posts, read 189,010 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I have been only in UK and USA

So my rank is USA and then UK. I don't know any Canadian but yes some Aussies.

At the firt impression both are friendly, but make British friends is very hard after some time, by the way in USA is easier, but only with white people, sorry but I didn't find black people in USA friendly, it is my experiencie.
Hmm...Do you mind expanding on the bolded part? I'm not angry or anything, just interested in knowing what exactly your experiences are that caused you to think that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,606 posts, read 55,673,065 times
Reputation: 11862
^ I'm sorry you had bad experiences with Australians, DginnDoctor, would you care to share some experiences/examples? On the whole I don't think Aussies are racist, but we're not really used to seeing real life African Americans. Africans from Africa are a lot more common, and they tend to keep to themselves. I visited the US and interacted with blacks, and have to say had both good and bad experiences. They just have a very different way of relating than the rather reserved Anglo-Saxon British/Australian culture. They tend to be at either extreme: met some who were very friendly and some who were downright rude (like one bus driver who yelled at me because I was a bit slow getting the correct fare, yes raised his voice in anger). They're more direct and will tell you what they think of you (of course there were exceptions). For sure, many Aussies are like that, but I think Americans speak their minds to a greater degree which can be rather confronting to those who aren't used to it. Perhaps how you were treated depended as much on your own personality as your race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 PM
 
81 posts, read 189,010 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ I'm sorry you had bad experiences with Australians, DginnDoctor, would you care to share some experiences/examples? On the whole I don't think Aussies are racist, but we're not really used to seeing real life African Americans. Africans from Africa are a lot more common, and they tend to keep to themselves. I visited the US and interacted with blacks, and have to say had both good and bad experiences. They just have a very different way of relating than the rather reserved Anglo-Saxon British/Australian culture. They tend to be at either extreme: met some who were very friendly and some who were downright rude (like one bus driver who yelled at me because I was a bit slow getting the correct fare, yes raised his voice in anger). They're more direct and will tell you what they think of you (of course there were exceptions). For sure, many Aussies are like that, but I think Americans speak their minds to a greater degree which can be rather confronting to those who aren't used to it. Perhaps how you were treated depended as much on your own personality as your race.
Um...I don't have a bad personality. This is know. Hell, I was even told by an Aussie that I was so nice and well-spoken "for a colored man"...

I'm from New York and went to school in DC. I've worked in both places, primarily in the service sector. As I worked in very tourist-heavy cities, you meet all types. It is VERY noticeable that Aussies have no experience with African-Americans. Even your post highlights this:

we're not really used to seeing real life African Americans.

I'm sorry, are we unicorns or something? You make it sound like I'm a friggin' leprechaun! The first time I met an Australian, do you think I went thinking he was the Crocodile Hunter? No, because he happens to be a PERSON. I don't really get that excuse. Not having much contact with someone doesn't give you the right to talk and treat them in any sort of way that would leave them uncomfortable.

I will tell you one experience.

I worked in a clothing store in Manhattan as a teen, and met many people who came to the US primarily to shop. I still remember an Australian man (the men are the worst. The women just try and screw as many black guys as possible, which I guess is equally offensive) coming in and kept using the word "ni**er." After being told by our manager that we don't condone such words within the store, he turned to her (white woman) and said, "Well, crikey, you're probably fu**ing him! That's why you're so pissed!" He pointed at me.

He was escorted out.

The only other people that I have had equally trying experiences with are the Argentines. I really don't like to stereotype, but whenever I hear an Argentine or an Australian, I have my guard up immediately. If you want, I can tell you other stories, but I don't want to derail the thread.

I'm very sorry you had problems like that with some African-americans. I do agree with you that Black Americans tend to be much more up-front than other groups in the states (the exception being Caribbean Latinos, but they have an enormous amount of black influence. Could be a cultural spillover from Africa...?), and this causes mixed results. Bus drivers in general, however, tend to be jerks. You sit on your ass all day driving people around the city, day-in and day-out. I'd probably be a little salty if you held up my dreary day too!

At the same time, I have also been told that Blacks tend to more emotional than other groups in the states. I tend to agree. When we like you, we love you. When we don't...we don't. There is a phrase used in the Black community called, "Keepin' it real," which essentially translates to be honest and cut the bs. This has made us much more up-front than a typical white american, I think. It's a double-edged sword, as you yourself have said you experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
 
85 posts, read 134,114 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Canada, US, Australia, UK.

Obviously I'm talking about on average since Newfoundland is not necessarily going to have the same level of friendliness as Vancouver, nor with Seattle have the same level as New Mexico or Cornwall with Birmingham.

I was talking to a British guy from near Bristol who was saying that Americans were way more friendly and nice than English people and he had only been to Seattle and Portland! Which surprised me since we have a reputation for being very reserved when it comes to talking to strangers within the United States. Of course the fact he had a British accent probably has something to do with it since hearing one is such a rarity in the Pacific Northwest people are probably going to be more willing to talk to you, but I still thought it was interesting he found Pacific Northwesterners to be so warm.
There is huge difference in terms of visiting somewhere and living somewhere. People may be polite and friendly to visitors but very difficult to crack on a personal level. I think all the countries you mentioned are friendly places to visit. In terms of actual living, that may be a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top