Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:46 AM

299 posts, read 316,875 times

Advertisements

My top picks:

1. New Orleans - the most incredible energy, night life, party atmosphere, super friendly locals and people from all over the US

2. London - crowded, drunk, noisy, people from all over the world, lots of fun

3. New York - speaks for itself but can be very hit and miss if you don't know where to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 10:30 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,417,759 times
Alpha++
London
New York

Alpha+
Paris
Sydney
Tokyo

Alpha
Amsterdam
Los Angeles
Madrid

Alpha-
Bangkok
Barcelona
Buenos Aires
Dublin
Melbourne
Miami
San Francisco
Seoul

Beta+
Berlin
Beirut
Copenhagen
Lisbon
Montreal
Tel Aviv

Beta
Manchester
Rio de Janeiro

Beta-
Birmingham
Denver
Rotterdam
San Diego
Seattle

Old 10-14-2015, 12:13 PM

514 posts, read 471,613 times
On the disclaimer that I can't stand clubbing, strengths and weaknesses considered among world class cities, I would choose New York for the best density of dining, Tokyo for the best quality of dining, London for best atmosphere and intangibles.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:26 AM

502 posts, read 656,255 times
I didn't get New Orleans at all... I had a big feeling of insecurity (even in "safe" parts of town) and the French Quarter is a drunkers theme park. I was there for 4 days and the only part I didn't dislike much was uptown. Even the all-around praised cajun food was nothing that special.

as for the OP question:

- NYC, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona, Brussels, Tokyo, Shanghai, Buenos Aires are high on my "amazing energy" list

Old 10-15-2015, 04:34 AM

10,647 posts, read 16,055,152 times
Large Far East Asian Cities like Bangkok, Tokyo, Seoul, Manila, Saigon etc.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:17 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,360,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
I didn't get New Orleans at all... I had a big feeling of insecurity (even in "safe" parts of town) and the French Quarter is a drunkers theme park. I was there for 4 days and the only part I didn't dislike much was uptown. Even the all-around praised cajun food was nothing that special.

as for the OP question:

- NYC, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona, Brussels, Tokyo, Shanghai, Buenos Aires are high on my "amazing energy" list
I like New Orleans, and think it isn't overrated. It is dirty and not the safest, but still an amazing experience.

To me, a popular city I don't "get" would be Berlin. Hideously ugly, poorest major city in Germany, flat and boring landscape, 99% of buildings destroyed during WW2, and not very dense or neighborhood-oriented. Alexanderplatz is like a commie nightmare. Yes, there are many hipsters and artists and good museums.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 AM

639 posts, read 822,286 times
Quote:

as for the OP question:

A lot of people don't get New Orleans because its so unique and its unlike any other city in America. Most cities in America have a twin New Orleans doesn't. Also I can see why you said the Cajun food is nothing special there that's because New Orleans IS NOT cajun it is creole. The best cajun food can be had in southwest Louisiana in and around the Lafayette/Acadiana area, that's where the Cajuns are and where the best cajun food is which is 2 hours away from New Orleans.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:21 AM

299 posts, read 316,875 times
Quote:

as for the OP question:

I think the problem for some in NoLa is that it can be a tourist trap, I have gone out on Bourbon Street for one night only and I've had enough, it is a place to get drunk, do whatever madness you want to do and hope you won't remember anything in the morning. But once you explore outside of that area NoLa is amazing.

As for your list, I am not getting how could you put Brussels there? It's one of the most boring cities in the world.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,360,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanAnna View Post
As for your list, I am not getting how could you put Brussels there? It's one of the most boring cities in the world.
Yeah, Brussels is super boring. Worse even than Frankfurt or Zurich, and that's saying something.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:33 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,542,251 times
Just come back to Toronto, Europeanbanana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World