U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 05:36 PM

6,448 posts, read 12,081,849 times

Advertisements

French Guiana actually continues to be part of France and is technically an overseas region! I wonder in this situation, why Guiana is not a separate country yet and not having more autonomous independence? I imagine the culture in South American French Guiana is not having much noticeable similarities to France outside of the official language.

I understand how most of the other overseas regions and collectivities of France is able to be part of the country, and having more similarities to France compared to Guiana, so I don’t have the same view for most of the overseas regions collectivities.

What is French Guiana’s international relations and continental role with South America, especially with Suriname, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Peru?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:42 PM

16,559 posts, read 24,625,013 times
Maybe they don't want to? Sort of like Puerto Rico doesn't wish to change it's status. Well at least last I heard.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,367,959 times
They don't want to change statue, they even voted against.
Inhabitants are french citizen part of big country instead of being an isolated small remote country.
There is more similarity between mainland France and French Guiana than people believe. French Guiana is part of France since centuries.

Note that the culture of French Guiana is more Caribbean (like Suriname) than South American.
So it is quite different of Brazil, Argentina, Chile or Peru.
In this way, its culture is much closer to mainland France than Argentina, Chile or Peru.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 AM

25,058 posts, read 25,520,490 times
Don't forget as well that French Guiana is a départment of France. In other words, French Guiana (along with Guadaloupe, Martinique, Réunion, and Mayotte) is to France what Hawaii and Alaska are to the US while Saint Pierre et Miquelon, French Polynesia, Saint Martin, and Wallis & Fortuna are similar in status to Puerto Rico, USVI, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands. New Caledonia is similar to American Samoa

Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 AM

24,929 posts, read 31,879,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
French Guiana actually continues to be part of France and is technically an overseas region! I wonder in this situation, why Guiana is not a separate country yet and not having more autonomous independence? I imagine the culture in South American French Guiana is not having much noticeable similarities to France outside of the official language.

I understand how most of the other overseas regions and collectivities of France is able to be part of the country, and having more similarities to France compared to Guiana, so I don’t have the same view for most of the overseas regions collectivities.
I would say that French Guiana is no more different/similar from mainland France than the other overseas places that are all also part of France (Guadeloupe, Martinique, New Caledonia), etc. All of them have the own particularities that are unique to them.

Probably the most similar to mainland France (though not the same either) is St-Pierre-et-Miquelon - which I believe is the only one where a majority of residents are made up of people whose ancestors came from France. In all of the other places the population is made up mostly of indigenous people, many of which have been Frenchified.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Maybe they don't want to? Sort of like Puerto Rico doesn't wish to change it's status. Well at least last I heard.
French Guiana in South America is probably not in the same situation as Puerto Rico. French Guiana appears to have an autonomous state status somewhat similar to Hawaii, and Alaska, so less independence compared to Puerto Rico.

Why is Puerto Rico even technically part of USA based on some definitions? Puerto Rico should be an entirely separate independent country, already acts very independent, and having a very different character compared to USA.

The Puerto Ricans I met in USA have mixed opinions about this situation, either wanting it to be an entirely separate country, or being part of USA even while knowing Puerto Rico is very different from USA. They are confused with Puerto Rico’s historical and modern relations with USA.

All of the overseas territories and collectivities of France is very impressive, while continuing to be mostly unknown to people outside of France:

Reunion, Tahiti Polynesia, New Caledonia, Mayotte, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guiana.

These areas technically part of France includes some islands in the Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean, and Caribbean/Atlantic Ocean, Oceania, and South America. France might have up to 5+ Hawaiian islands and this is very impressive.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
They don't want to change statue, they even voted against.
Inhabitants are french citizen part of big country instead of being an isolated small remote country.
There is more similarity between mainland France and French Guiana than people believe. French Guiana is part of France since centuries.

Note that the culture of French Guiana is more Caribbean (like Suriname) than South American.
So it is quite different of Brazil, Argentina, Chile or Peru.
In this way, its culture is much closer to mainland France than Argentina, Chile or Peru.
I remember you said you lived in Reunion! How was your experience with Reunion?

How would you rank all of these French overseas territories and collectivities from being most French European to least French/most local indigenous in culture, inspiration, and modern connections: Reunion, Tahiti Polynesia, New Caledonia, Mayotte, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guiana.

This is very interesting for all of these places technically being part of France, very surprising, and not known to most people outside of the country of France.

French Guiana in South America having Caribbean influence is intriguing news, and being more French European than South American: Argentina, Chile, Brazil.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would say that French Guiana is no more different/similar from mainland France than the other overseas places that are all also part of France (Guadeloupe, Martinique, New Caledonia), etc. All of them have the own particularities that are unique to them.

Probably the most similar to mainland France (though not the same either) is St-Pierre-et-Miquelon - which I believe is the only one where a majority of residents are made up of people whose ancestors came from France. In all of the other places the population is made up mostly of indigenous people, many of which have been Frenchified.
I wouldn’t generalize all French overseas territories and regions to be the same.

I would group them into at least 5 separate categories: 1. Tahiti Polynesia, New Caledonia 2. Reunion, Mayotte 3. Martinique, Guadeloupe, Saint Martin 4. Guiana 5. Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon. They are all unique.

I imagine St-Pierre-et-Miquelon to be the most different compared to the other overseas regions, being smallest in population, and geographic size. All of the other overseas collectivities are tropical, while St Pierre is the only exception and borderline subpolar.

All of the other regions are in near proximity to more exotic lands compared to St Pierre.

Maybe Quebec would continue to be part of France if history or recent times went differently and took another course. However, I know Quebec relatively well for an American, and Quebec being part of Canada. There was an active separatist movement not too many years ago and Quebec almost becoming an independent country separate from Canada.

I wonder how most Quebecois people feel about Canada vs. France, and if they would ever want to be technically part of the country of France.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I wouldn’t generalize all French overseas territories and regions to be the same.

I would group them into at least 5 separate categories: 1. Tahiti Polynesia, New Caledonia 2. Reunion, Mayotte 3. Martinique, Guadeloupe, Saint Martin 4. Guiana 5. Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon. They are all unique.

I imagine St-Pierre-et-Miquelon to be the most different compared to the other overseas regions, being smallest in population, and geographic size. All of the other overseas collectivities are tropical, while St Pierre is the only exception and borderline subpolar.

All of the other regions are in near proximity to more exotic lands compared to St Pierre.

They are not all the same, and I am sorry if I gave this impression. St-Pierre-et-Miquelon does stand out in terms of geography and climate, but the demographic element as I said is significant. They are almost all descendants of European Frenchmen. This is not the case in any of the other DOM-TOM.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Maybe Quebec would continue to be part of France if history or recent times went differently and took another course. However, I know Quebec relatively well for an American, and Quebec being part of Canada. There was an active separatist movement not too many years ago and Quebec almost becoming an independent country separate from Canada..
Had Quebec remained aligned with France it would be institutionally and culturally more French than it is today. By virtue of its long colonial period under British rule and also being part of Canada for the past 150 years, Quebec is actually more British instutionally than it is French. The main exception being its legal system which has a French-inspired Civil Code.

As most people know as well, Quebec has really developed into its "own place". It's not really like France and it's not a copy of the rest of North America either. In a sense it's similar to US vs. UK, Spanish speaking Latin American countries vs. Spain, or Brazil vs. Portugal.

Quote:
I wonder how most Quebecois people feel about Canada vs. France, and if they would ever want to be technically part of the country of France.
There has never been any serious discussion of this. If Quebec were to become independent, the general sense is that ties with France would be reinforced (note that they are already fairly strong at the moment and have been gradually growing in the past 30-40 years) but not to the point of actually being part of France.

As I said: think UK-US, Brazil-Portugal, Argentina/Mexico, etc.- Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World