U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 05:54 PM

6,910 posts, read 12,625,869 times

Advertisements

What is your view or experience with this area of the World? How would you rank these countries from favorite to least favorite, including for important country personality traits such as scenery, culture, people, tourism, economy, and how interesting or exotic the culture appears to you.

This is for the Caucasus Eurasian countries: Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Central Asia countries of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 PM

14,870 posts, read 20,108,198 times
Borat.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 PM

10,524 posts, read 14,609,068 times
I heard these countries are very popular with Russian weapon dealers, Iranian opium smugglers and potential terrorists.

From most to least favorite?
Kazakhstan, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan.

Found this on wikipedia...

Tajikistan is the only country in the world where polio is on the increase. From zero cases in 2008 and 2009, 458 confirmed cases have been reported for 2010 (of 976 cases worldwide).

If find it interesting that Uzbekistan people in general look much more East Asian than the people in Tajikistan while being located more Western.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM

730 posts, read 825,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
This is for the Caucasus Eurasian countries: Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Central Asia countries of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
Georgia: most preferential of all for tourism. There are mountains for skiers and Black sea with recently builded beaches and hotels.

Azerbaijan: the oil recovery has made this country very divided on rich and poor. Tourist appeal below average.

Armenia: speak there very good kitchen. Tourist appeal average.

Kazakhstan: the leader of the Central Asia, there is regions with seats for mountain hunting. Tourist appeal average.

Uzbekistan: the country is famous for colour and rich bazaars. There are historical palaces and other places. Tourist appeal average.

Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan: very poor countries, especially Tajikistan through which there passes drug-dealing from Afghanistan. Not safe for tourists.

Turkmenistan: very strange country, receives greater incomes of sale of gas but does not contact to any other country. The Level of development not high.

The general remarks: people of all these countries can be very hospitable, but go alone risky enough, it is better in group and under the permit. Availability of the translator is necessarily.

Armenia and Azerbaijan are at war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Borat.
If to say this name in Kazakhstan - Kazakhstan becomes the unsafe country for separately taken tourist.

Last edited by Wadym; 06-25-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM

24,447 posts, read 18,967,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I heard these countries are very popular with Russian weapon dealers, Iranian opium smugglers and potential terrorists.

From most to least favorite?
Kazakhstan, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan.

Found this on wikipedia...

Tajikistan is the only country in the world where polio is on the increase. From zero cases in 2008 and 2009, 458 confirmed cases have been reported for 2010 (of 976 cases worldwide).

If find it interesting that Uzbekistan people in general look much more East Asian than the people in Tajikistan while being located more Western.
The Central Asia is a mess since Russians left the area after the S.U. fell apart.
The only part which is doing more or less OK is Kazakhstan with all its oil, where Russians built a solid infrastructure during Soviet times, and where a lot of Russians still reside.

PS The "Upper class" in Uzbekistan looked less Asian from what I remember; at least the look was not as pronounced as among the lower class.
Originally those lands were of Persian background ( and you see a leftover of that stock particularly among the Tajiks,) but later it was overrun by Asian tribes.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 PM

24,447 posts, read 18,967,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
What is your view or experience with this area of the World? How would you rank these countries from favorite to least favorite, including for important country personality traits such as scenery, culture, people, tourism, economy, and how interesting or exotic the culture appears to you.

Georgia, bar none.
In terms of richness of the culture, traditions, climate, food, people - it's all there.
Their only misfortune is that Georgia ( and Armenia, actually,) are too remote from Europe. If those countries were on the border with Europe, ( instead of trouble-ridden Russia,) they'd be both thriving by now.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:39 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,043,099 times
I live in the Kyrgyzstan.
This country is safe enough for tourists, Bishkek (the capital) at least.
Avoid policemen, they can take away your money. I don't mean that every policeman can do that, but be careful.
Don't go to the market without your local friend(s). Sellers can cheat (shortchange) you.
Our people are friendly to the foreigners from the West, especially our girls
There is a national sport in my country - the 'revolutions', demonstrations, riots. Don't afraid. Just stay at home for a few days when it ends. Even if you are on the street at this moment - don't worry, all these people have their own business - police vs demonstrators.
At the rest time our country is calm enough.
There is a beautiful lake - Issyk-Kul, snowy mountains and beautiful nature.
Wadym, you are right, our people are poor, but when I see expensive cars on the streets and huge palaces, I realize that not all.
We have many problems - lawlessness, crime, corruption and bad roads.
And about drugs - you can't buy them everywhere and anytime The situation is not so bad.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM

33,671 posts, read 32,576,165 times
I haven't had much exposure to this region, save for some of the communities in Brooklyn (almost worked on a feature in Kyrgyzstan but had to back out). I do like Georgian cheese breads a lot though. Does anyone have some recommendations for relatively easy to find Georgian or Armenian wines?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 AM

231 posts, read 338,521 times
From favorite to least favorite:
Georgia
Armenia
Kazakhstan
Kyrgystan
Turkmenistan
Azerbaijan
Tajikistan
Uzbekistan

Although I generally find Central Asia uninteresting

Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,043,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofi32 View Post
From favorite to least favorite:
Georgia
Armenia
Kazakhstan
Kyrgystan
Turkmenistan
Azerbaijan
Tajikistan
Uzbekistan

Although I generally find Central Asia uninteresting
Agreed, even the sun doesn't want to shine above us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World