Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Isn't the USA the United States OF America. Meaning it is a part of America and not America itself. The country should never have been named the United States of America it only creates confusion. It would be like Germany calling itself the United States of Europe.. Instead we are having to engage in this moronic discussion about why the USA = America when two continents plus Central America and the Caribbean with dozens of countries in no less than the Western Hemisphere itself are located in the Americas. Of the 1 billion who live in the Americas the USA represents 313 million of those people - therefore The USA unequivocally does not equal America

On a bigger scale - the world has plenty enough fame, billionaires and movies without the help of the United States. This isn't an attack against the U.S other than to put things into perspective for some posters who believe that the most famous player on the team = the team
Like I said to someone else on another topic, you will most likely have to go the rest of your life being confused on the subject. Americans and non Americans alike who refer to the USA as America aren't going to suddenly stop because people like yourself think they ought to.

It's funny when people talk about how stupid Americans are, it's sudden very clear what America means

Old 06-29-2013, 05:05 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Have you not heard of the Beatles? I wager Beatlemania in the states was a lot larger in their time than MJ has ever been.

And many people (myself included- American and in my 30's) still love the Beatles today.
I think you missed the OP. Cali is apparently a huge fan of the "Beetles"

The Beatles are huge in the UK and US but MJ is much more of a global icon and that is a fact. No other artist - past or present - even comes close. It's a shame he's not more appreciated in his own country.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:06 PM

141 posts, read 435,090 times
America is a bundle of two continents with dozens of countries spread on it. You mean, USA, I presume.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I think you missed the OP. Cali is apparently a huge fan of the "Beetles"

The Beatles are huge in the UK and US but MJ is much more of a global icon and that is a fact. No other artist - past or present - even comes close. It's a shame he's not more appreciated in his own country.
I wouldn't go quite that far Linda. He's appreciated here but remember, United Statesians (for those who are still confused) like controversy and MJ offered it. There are also global artist who are known in many countries but unknown, or barely known in the US. Dj Bobo comes to mind. He's been here once only.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That was a nasty thing your professor said

I don't even think he was overly talented, even his famous moonwalk was invented by someone else decades earlier. Nor did he play an instrument. His voice was not exceptional, either. Without Quincy Jones in the background he never would have become the star he became.
I think Stevie Wonder for instance is way more talented, but not only is he blind, he never was handsome, either, which is quite important in view of all the groupies
It was a nasty thing to say indeed because MJ had a skin disorder (Vitiligo) that destroyed the pigmentation of his skin. To make jokes about this is just cruel.

To say MJ was not overly talented is insane, IMO. He wrote most of his songs, including his biggest hits like Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Billie Jean, Beat It, Smooth Criminal, Heal the World, etc. He co-produced almost all of his songs since Thriller. He pioneered the medium of music videos. He is widely considered to be one of the greatest dancers that ever lived (including by people like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly). He may not have invented the Moonwalk (he never claimed he did) but he extended it. He was a huge fashion icon (the zipper jackets, the regal outfits, the arm bands, the white socks, the fedora hats, the penny loafers, the white glove, etc.) - all of which he designed himself. He (co-)composed almost all of his songs (esp. since Thriller) even though he didn't play musical instruments as you said. He was already a huge star before Quincy Jones ever came in the picture. He sold over a 100 million records with the Jackson 5 / Jacksons. But most importantly of all, MJ crossed over to all races, genders, ages, nationalities all over the world like no one has done before or since. He sold more abroad than he did at home. His music still sounds as relevant today as it did 30 years ago. Whether you like his voice or whether you think he was handsome is a matter of opinion. He certainly was unique in both aspects

Quincy Jones gets WAY too much credit for his work with MJ. Here's a demo of Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, recorded at MJ's home before Quincy ever got involved:

It doesn't sound too different from the final version. Quincy Jones didn't even want Billie Jean to be included on the Thriller album. Quincy didn't work on Dangerous and that's considered by many people to be MJ's best work. It's a shame you dismiss everything he did after Thriller because you're missing out on some great music, in my opinion.

MJ was also talented in other areas. He wrote a beatiful book of poetry and reflections (called Dancing the Dream) and he was a great artist in terms of drawing and painting. Here's some examples:

Sorry for the rant You're entitled to your opinion of course and I understand that not everybody is a fan of MJ's music. It just bothers me when people don't give him the credit he deserves as an artist.

Last edited by LindavG; 06-29-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think a some Americans take the widespread reach of their entertainment industry as acceptance of all things American.
The image provided by U.S. media in general is a far cry from reality. A lot of people in poorer countries who see American movies or watch American pop stars get a skewed version of what the U.S. is about. Even poor people on American T.V. shows seem to dress well and live in nice places.
The reality hits some of them once they arrive. Certainly there are immigrant success stories but that exists in all developed countries.
Even tourists, once they move away from the tourist centres get a bit of a shock.
The image provided by US media is not all positive though. We have shows like Jersey Shore and Toddlers & Tiaras here too A lot of stereotypes about the US actually come directly from American media (music, movies, TV shows). I don't think too many people in developed countries still live under the illusion that the US is so much greater than the rest of the world.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 PM

Anyway, I've been away for a few weeks but it doesn't seem like I missed much. Still the same old "US vs. the rest of the world" discussions as usual

Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Anyway, I've been away for a few weeks but it doesn't seem like I missed much. Still the same old "US vs. the rest of the world" discussions as usual
There's been a couple Canada vs ******* threads lately lol We're beating the UK right now.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
if you say so lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Like I said to someone else on another topic, you will most likely have to go the rest of your life being confused on the subject. Americans and non Americans alike who refer to the USA as America aren't going to suddenly stop because people like yourself think they ought to.

It's funny when people talk about how stupid Americans are, it's sudden very clear what America means

Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
if you say so lol
Yes I say so and obviously you can't argue with that so stay confused my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Yes, many people watch American films, listen American music, etc. But..................MOSTY? I don't think so. At least I can name too many films, singers, musicians and millionaires that are not American, not even anglo.
Wonder what country they were talking about here
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Europeans simply love America. Greatest nation in the world.
Obviously this Austrian meant Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yeah I don't live in a basement mate why don't you visit another country and actually learn about something else not America centric.
Does this Brit mean Bolivian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
This person is now going on a rampage and will probably create 100 new threads all about America.
It's obvious this Brit is surely talking about Argentina!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Can't stand the goof in the picture. He is a cut throat opportunist parasite....America has certain controls when it comes to art forms and art that is funded by the status quo..Americans are the greatest propagandists that have ever existed and a nation of idol worshipers. If you have a great motion picture script that might be heal or make the nation more aware...if it does not follow the policy according to a certain type of brain washing the film will never be made.

Motion pictures - certain types of music - art and writing debase America making it easy to rule...Bring the individual down to the lowest common animal denominator - and the country runs like an animal farm...the sheep and their masters who are clever wolves.
This Canadian used the American/America term three times in the same post. Was he talking about his own country or Mexico?

Please, you guys need to give it a rest. This is just from the first 6 pages of this thread. You people know damn well what country America refers to. From this point on, anyone who claims otherwise will be assumed to have been born two days ago and likewise be ignored.

Last edited by Gentoo; 06-29-2013 at 11:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World