Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 AM

44 posts, read 73,745 times

Advertisements

Regarding the poll:

US
UK

Canada
Australia

The US may produce more stars, but there's a reason Britain has been called a cultural superpower.

Canada and Australia don't even come close.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:34 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
More like

USA
UK
Canada
Australia

Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So I take it you don't want to admit we are an awesome neighbor and just focus on everything negative about us?
No, I'm just tempering the " awesomeness " part with a dose of reality from a Canadian perspective.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalFC View Post
Regarding the poll:

US
UK

Canada
Australia

The US may produce more stars, but there's a reason Britain has been called a cultural superpower.

Canada and Australia don't even come close.
Canada does fine for a country of only 34 million, same with Australia.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What good is all this doing the majority of US residents? Why is the economy STILL in the toilet if the US is so popular and so great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Nobody does teen pregnancies and incarcerations as the USA does
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No, I'm just tempering the " awesomeness " part with a dose of reality from a Canadian perspective.
It's okay I know you guys hate it when people say good things about the United States so you have to seek out everything negative.
Interesting how it's okay to say good things about any other country without causing so much butthurt.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
It's okay I know you guys hate it when people say good things about the United States so you have to seek out everything negative.
Interesting how it's okay to say good things about any other country without causing so much butthurt.
You mentioned this a few times before. Here's my take. In Canada we get all the U.S. networks and media. We travel to the U.S. and have friends and family in the U.S. Canadians probably know more about the U.S. than any other people on earth. Heck I've even met people in NYC who didn't exactly know where Seattle was.
So we hear the hyperbole of " America's greatness " over, and over, and over again. We know the reality from the propaganda.
So what you are seeing from Canada is a reaction to this. We are like the good neighbour who tries to reel in some of the rhetoric.
Millions of Americans have woken up to the fact that " the greatest nation on earth " is actually not. A hard pill to swallow for some.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
You mentioned this a few times before. Here's my take. In Canada we get all the U.S. networks and media. We travel to the U.S. and have friends and family in the U.S. Canadians probably know more about the U.S. than any other people on earth. Heck I've even met people in NYC who didn't exactly know where Seattle was.
So we hear the hyperbole of " America's greatness " over, and over, and over again. We know the reality from the propaganda.
So what you are seeing from Canada is reaction to this. We are like the good neighbour who tries to reel in some of the rhetoric.
Millions of Americans have woken up to the fact that " the greatest nation on earth " is actually not. A hard pill to swallow for some.
Ahahahahah
More like an over reaction.
No one here mentioned we are the greatest nation on earth, we just mentioned one good thing and you guys start whining and crying

Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Ahahahahah
More like an over reaction.
No one here mentioned we are the greatest nation on earth, we just mentioned one good thing and you guys start whining and crying
There is more than city-data forums. I'm speaking of your media and a huge portion of your population who have said all the things I've mentioned.
Not whining and crying, but trying to reel you guys in. The reason? Well all one has to do is look at the Iraq war. A nation believing in it's own greatness above all others gets itself into trouble.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
There is more than city-data forums. I'm speaking of your media and a huge portion of your population who have said all the things I've mentioned.
Not whining and crying, but trying to reel you guys in. The reason? Well all one has to do is look at the Iraq war. A nation believing in it's own greatness above all others gets itself into trouble.
Not many people here think we are the greatest nation in the world.
many non-Americans want to think that we run around chanting "we are the greatest nation in the world!"
but in reality your average American probably doesn't care much what goes on outside his or her country.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
I'm not a hockey fan and I'm not a shopper so I don't cross - border shop, but I understand that some border towns in the U.S. were very grateful for Canadian shoppers during your fiscal crisis
Americans do cross - border shop as well, however according to your NY Times

"Lacking a national health care system of their own, thousands of Americans are tapping into Canada's -- illegally."

Also you guys come up by the bus load to purchase prescription drugs.
In San Diego, Americans also cross into Tijuana to get their prescriptions at a much better price and many Mexican-Americans go there for health care. Because Canadian laws regarding contact lenses aren't as idiotic as American laws, I order my contacts through a Canadian site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.