Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 12:46 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,069,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Wow Taiwan is above them,lol.
Yeah I get your point,but I feel that cultural aspects should probably also be considered into such ranking,and maybe democracy?The four of them are all quite Western.
It just feels weird that Portugal and Greece are taken down from the list....to me.

And don't they all have very high HDI?
Yeah, I get what you mean. It always feel weird when things change. IMF estimates Greece gdp per capita was 24700 in 1980 adjusted for inflation, today it is 24000. The requirement to be a first world country is not the same as 1980. If we never update what countries are first world and what countries are not, then the term will lose its meaning.

Yes, the HDI of Greece is decently high, but HDI includes a lot of factors that are irrelevant for higher income countries. For instance what you eat is more important than health care for life expectancy.
List of countries by past and future GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw: Taiwan has in the same period increased from 10300 to 39700.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 12:58 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Let's see, Italy is the 8th or 9th richest country in the world. Yea..I think that qualifies as first world.
Except Naples. There is nothing that could convince me Naples is the first world.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Except Naples. There is nothing that could convince me Naples is the first world.
Perhaps the fact that you can enjoy one of the best healthcare in the world? Or nonetheless good roads and infrastructure compared to third world?
I have seen Glasgow for example and it's not that better to give an example.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:32 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Yeah, I get what you mean. It always feel weird when things change. IMF estimates Greece gdp per capita was 24700 in 1980 adjusted for inflation, today it is 24000. The requirement to be a first world country is not the same as 1980. If we never update what countries are first world and what countries are not, then the term will lose its meaning.

Yes, the HDI of Greece is decently high, but HDI includes a lot of factors that are irrelevant for higher income countries. For instance what you eat is more important than health care for life expectancy.
List of countries by past and future GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw: Taiwan has in the same period increased from 10300 to 39700.
Yeah HDI is really inaccurate imo.

And Taiwan's 39700 USD is crazy,that's probably built by the nasty speculation of real estate here.Most people here are not wealthy at all,the Taiwanese corporations have their factories in China or SE Asia,and Ma's administration always takes them into account to create some kind of illusion that we have such a powerful GDP.

And this list estimated us to become the 3rd wealthiest economy from 2030 onward....

Wow seriously?WOW I'm speechless,that's totally impossible.That list looks like a fantasy novel,my jaw hit the ground when I saw we are ranked "that" high.Still laughing.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah HDI is really inaccurate imo.

And Taiwan's 39700 USD is crazy,that's probably built by the nasty speculation of real estate here.Most people here are not wealthy at all,the Taiwanese corporations have their factories in China or SE Asia,and Ma's administration always takes them into account to create some kind of illusion that we have such a powerful GDP.

And this list estimated us to become the 3rd wealthiest economy from 2030 onward....

Wow seriously?WOW I'm speechless,that's totally impossible.That list looks like a fantasy novel,my jaw hit the ground when I saw we are ranked "that" high.Still laughing.
I don't think speculation of real estate is driving the gdp up, but I do agree taiwanese gdp per capita is overvalued.

This is why I think living standards are not so high
1. Taiwan work longer hours (2140) which means their productivity is lower
2. Inequality is quite high compared to countries on similar economic level.
3. GDP does not take into account the quality of infrastructure
4. Property prices are very high. That makes life harder for the average person, but some people benefit.

Taiwan Today - Correct take on Taiwan

Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I don't think speculation of real estate is driving the gdp up, but I do agree taiwanese gdp per capita is overvalued.

This is why I think living standards are not so high
1. Taiwan work longer hours (2140) which means their productivity is lower
2. Inequality is quite high compared to countries on similar economic level.
3. GDP does not take into account the quality of infrastructure
4. Property prices are very high. That makes life harder for the average person, but some people benefit.

Taiwan Today - Correct take on Taiwan
Speculation of real estate would make some contribution to the GDP data iirc.I'm not sure though.

And yeah people work very long hours here,one of the longest in the entire world,the inequality sucks,and due to the taxes of property dealing are as low as it could get,the rich can buy as many houses and lands as they want.The government is not doing anything to improve it because they are those that benefit from it.GDP per capita in Taiwan is definitely massively overvalued.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:25 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,161 times
There are prejudices against southern European countries in that question. That there are economic crisis (in variuous levels) in those countries, as well as in other countries of the Eurozone do not change their status.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
There are prejudices against southern European countries in that question. That there are economic crisis (in variuous levels) in those countries, as well as in other countries of the Eurozone do not change their status.
Your argument makes no sense. Why can't an economic crises change their status? An economic crisis can seriously reduce standard of living.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 AM

48 posts, read 69,398 times
first world = purple and black

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillon View Post
Hell no.By that logic,New Zealand,Italy,and South Korea are not first world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World