Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 05:03 AM

95 posts, read 69,331 times

Advertisements

The title of this thread is absurd.You could put on that same title replacing ITaly and Spain with the USA and UK and it would be just as absurd.

-There are even many more people perhaps livingin third world living standard in the USA that in Italy and Spain.-

There are people who confuse the military and Economic Power with the quality of life of the population.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 07:47 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,444,806 times
I feel Naples and Palermo have a second world feel to it.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:10 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
South Italy is something... I loved Naples but I have to admit it's far from Copenhaguen or London or whatever...
I just came back from Milan, it's definitely first world.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:07 PM

21 posts, read 17,076 times
Spain for sure. The others not but still a lot more developed than the countries of the developing world.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:09 PM

21 posts, read 17,076 times
Spain for sure. The others not but still a lot more developed than the countries in the developing world.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:51 PM

95 posts, read 69,331 times
Northern Italy is one of the most developed areas in the World.

Southern Italy is beautiful but its economic and social level is much lower.

In Spain there are more industrialized areas than others as in all Countries but their economics differences are not extreme although are very different geographically and culturally.

But in Italy and Spain social Security the Public health and public education and public transports fairly compensate enough for economic differences a largely balance the differents levels of wealth in different areas.-
Especially in Spain where regional economic differences are not as marked as in Italy .- It is what is called the ,(Welfare State Regional).-

Old 10-20-2019, 03:59 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,303,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Southern Italy is not as poor as it looks. There is definitely an unemployment problem but there is also a huge black economy. Unfortunately the mafia is also still operating and many people hide their wealth from them and from the tax department. So shabby old houses, on the outside, often are immaculate and modern inside. Italians have a high rate of saving, a welfare system that is far more generous than the is good for the country, a good healthcare system, cheap education and excellent food. It is very much a first world country.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,079 times
I've been to Spain once, Italy three times - never had the good fortune to visit Portugal or Greece. There were dodgy areas of Barcelona, Florence, Venice, Rome, and Pisa (Assisi not so much) but that's to be expected in every country on earth.

Who came up with that First World/Second World/Third World nonsense? It only serves to make one group of people feel superior to others.

Parts of London, Paris, Berlin, Washington DC, and several other cities I've been to, look shady as h**l.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:55 AM

603 posts, read 1,630,565 times
Spain and Greece.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:01 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,115,843 times
By nominal GDP Italy is the fourth richest country in Europe, and Spain 6:

https://www.worldlistmania.com/15-ri...ies-in-europe/

If you remove the United Kingdom, they are three and five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World