Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 10:55 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 3 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times

Advertisements

GAWC has just released their 2020 list!!!

DOWN
Miami, Washington D.C., Houston, Bogotá dropped from Alpha- to Beta+

Minneapolis, Wuhan, Lagos, and Caracas dropped from Beta to Beta-

Lot of Alpha cities dropped to Alpha- like Zurich, Istanbul, Bangkok, Melbourne

HCM City, Hanoi, and Athens dropped from Beta+ to Beta

UP
Beirut and Berlin jumped from Beta to Beta+

Osaka, Zhengzhou, Detroit jumped from Gamma+ to Beta-

Austin and St. Petersburg Russia jumped from Gamma to Beta- (skipped Gamma+ entirely)

Seattle and Panama City jumped from Beta- to Beta

Boston and Bangalore jumped from Beta+ to Alpha-

Nagoya jumped from Sufficiency to Gamma- (skipped High Sufficiency entirely)

Birmingham UK huge drop from Beta- to High Sufficiency (dropping 4 levels)

Idk guys I'm not gonna give my full analysis I just wanted to report the news!

Almost all of these moves make sense.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2020t.html

Last edited by elnina; 09-01-2020 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Added source per OP. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 11:30 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Clarification:
GaWC = Globalization and World Cities (Rankings Research Institute)
is a think tank that studies the relationships between world cities in the context of globalization, a bi-annual categorization of world cities into "Alpha", "Beta" and "Gamma" tiers, based upon their international connectedness

and source:
https://www.spottedbylocals.com/blog...-gamma-cities/

Old 09-02-2020, 02:30 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
The reshufflings mostly make sense to me except for DC. Alpha- seems like an appropriate place for it given what else is in Alpha- and Beta+.

Still think it's odd that Seoul is in Alpha- instead of Alpha. Is the rubric still heavily slanted toward how well-connected these cities are to London or am I mistaken about that?

Old 09-02-2020, 06:52 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
I realy don't understand why DC was dropped to Beta+

I can understand why Houston and Miami wre... but DC? its definitely on par with Boston. Soemthing seems a bt fishy about that.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:17 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

I can understand why Houston and Miami wre... but DC? its definitely on par with Boston. Soemthing seems a bt fishy about that.
I remember reading somewhere for at least previous gawc ratings that the methodology was strongly based on business done with London area companies. DC being strongly tilted towards the public sector probably means a lot less of an emphasis on international corporate going-ons than Boston. That being said, if that’s the methodology, then it still shakes out pretty close to how I’d rank things for a lot of cities. I’d also put DC in the Alpha- and Seoul in Alpha and maybe shift several more cities like some of the Swiss ones down.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:06 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
I couldn't find anything about methodology on the GaWC site.
It's based at Loughborough University between Leicester, and Nottingham, UK.If as claimed, cultural and political relevance weigh heavy, Washington might not measure up culturally, but find me a city with more political influence than Washington.
Dulles Airport has 35 international airlines with direct connections to every continent except Australasia.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:44 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I couldn't find anything about methodology on the GaWC site.
It's based at Loughborough University between Leicester, and Nottingham, UK.If as claimed, cultural and political relevance weigh heavy, Washington might not measure up culturally, but find me a city with more political influence than Washington.
Dulles Airport has 35 international airlines with direct connections to every continent except Australasia.
It’s all on their website, but the modeling isn’t simple:

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/rb/rb23.html
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/rb/rb300.html

Old 09-05-2020, 03:22 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

I do think some kind of explanation as to why cities have been moved up or down might at least offer some insight.

I find it strange that Birmingham has plummeted at a time when HS2 is under way and will offer an extremely fast train service in to London, although perhaps this is the reason why it's been downgraded.

Homepage | High Speed 2

Birmingham has also just extended it's Airport runway and is inmvesting in a new terminal, and the airport will have a direct link to HS2 and a number of companies have relocated to the city in recent years.

Birmingham is also home to a massive Convention Centre, the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) as well as large indoor entertainment and sports venues, which are also within easy reach of the airport.

It just seems strange and without any explanation you are just left to wonder.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:30 AM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
Both are not full of intercontinental flights.
Shenzhen should had more non naturalised foreigners than Montreal. Montreal has more immigrants but immigrants do not mean foreigners, they are mostly naturalised Canadians.

Nagoya is just big but not international.

Seoul is not very top in the list because it is not an important international transport hub and is a mostly domestic financial centre. But K pop is more popular globally than other Asian pop. South Korea is a smaller economy than a few other developed countries and China, India and Russia.

The largest cities of the largest economies are always listed in the top, with the exception of cities in Germany listed below London and Paris. Germany is bigger than the UK and France.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastwanted View Post
Montreal in the same group as Shenzhen?

Well, IMO Shenzhen beats Montreal in all ways except "reputation" maybe.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 09-05-2020 at 07:42 AM..

Old 09-08-2020, 02:09 AM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
D.C. getting dropped is the biggest ?? for me, below a number of less deserving cities in the Alpha category. Also means it's below Boston which I'm sure will trigger a few on the forum.

A few interesting additions have shown up in the Sufficiency index that weren't there previously, including a handful of Japanese cities such as Sendai, Kobe, some cities in Oceania such as Suva and Port Moresby, and some more smaller regional cities such as Novosibirsk, Honolulu and Saskatoon. I feel like it's a bit of a coming out party for these places when they eek into the botom end of this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World