Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 12:32 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
What surprises me is that the US and Mexico are just as unequal in income distribution.
And the US and Canada, which is even more surprising given they are so similar in many ways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagus Crows View Post
I don't think that as got anything to do with the size of the country. Actually i don't consider Portugal a tiny country, at least in European terms it's a medium size country (the 19th largest in a continent with 50 countries).

The main reason Portugal is doing so well in certain areas, like the ATM and internet services, for instance, is because the country departed so much later than others, thus allowing better services with better technology.

The ATM is excellent and benefited from the demand and pressure of the internal consumption since the mid 1990's (and the easy access to credit) that allowed information technologies to be highly adopted by the banking system.

It's not about the time and effort to link up the country, but the time, effort and money one saves with using this system that allows more than 60 services in a blink of an eye.

Actually it's one of the great achievements in Portugal in the quite recent society of consumption. This one not even the Troika wants to change anything.
I always buy my train tickets on the ATM Haven't seen that option in other countries, yet, if I remember correctly.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM

242 posts, read 368,768 times
I consider them second world countries, kind of in the same place as Russia and parts of eastern Europe.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
I consider them second world countries, kind of in the same place as Russia and parts of eastern Europe.
and parts of the US and Germany...

Old 11-27-2013, 01:37 PM

50 posts, read 101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
Meantime the income and regional gdp is higher than some regional areas of Germany, France, UK, Finland...
People work there too, you know? You remind me of someone who thought that most of the population of Portugal were fishermen and sailors.

International propaganda to attribute bad reputation (like that pigs bs) to some countries.

Dangerous stuff.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,838 times
Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain have a better Quality of Life compared to USA.
Should we consider USA to be a 3rd world country too?

Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 AM

84 posts, read 225,008 times
Yes first world

Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastor View Post
Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain have a better Quality of Life compared to USA.
Should we consider USA to be a 3rd world country too?
That data is from 2011, I do think those four countries (and Ireland etc.) slipped a few spots during the economic crisis there, but they have certainly not dropped out of the 1st world ranks...

Old 12-14-2013, 09:22 AM

667 posts, read 939,972 times
In my opinion, they are still first-world countries.
However, some of them are "firster" than others.
So, Greece is probably a "first-"-world. First with the minus.
I think it's still more developed than so-called "2nd world", i.e. ex-communist countries and such.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 PM

169 posts, read 293,911 times
These countries are definitely first world although they do certainly have parts which are impoverished just like in every country in the world. It is true that southern europe has been hit particularly hard by financial crisis (oh please it's been 6 years now lets name the puppy) DEPRESSION but that doesn't mean that all the services of a typical 1st world nation are not available. Where I lived in Abruzzo it is teaming with brand new construction (they cover the condos here with slabs of marble!!), shopping malls, night clubs, beach establishments. Again, nothing is missing here that i didn't have in NJ growing up except....the money has been recently taken out of the equation. Besides the fact the Euro was an all around bad idea for southern Europe because Italy's buying power was halved there is also a lot of corruption (which you can read all about in my previous posts).
The thing is though with Italy it is such a shame to see just how corruption corrodes everything that was once good. The italians are known the world over for their craftsmanship and quality made products. The country on paper shouldn't be in such shambles but it is due unfortunately to indifference and Italy's incapacity to face the future. For instance there is a phenomenon I call the Italian paradox.
Italy produces some of the worlds best scientists and researches however Italy is the industrialized country which spends the least on research and development so by default many of it's brighter are forced to go overseas. This is also called "scappo die cervelli" which means literally "escape of the brains!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World