Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
under 25,s only get 100 euro per week here but over 25,s get 188 euro per week , their is no time limit on benefits unlike most mainland European countries , you could be on that amount for forty years

if you have kids , you also get allowances for that
if your in rental accommodation , you get allowances for that

old age pensioners get 230 euro per week which is around double what pensioners in the uk receive on the state pension
In the UK, you have to actually prove you are actively looking for work, which is done via the direct.gov website. You can't really be picky about which jobs you do either, unless it's something stupid, like one of my friends who was offered a job at a supermarket for 1 hour and a half a day, 5 days a week, which would be less money earned than what he would get via jobseekers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It seems you don't have children then?

Another observation: Americans do not really want to spend money on their children. They live a big house and own three cars, but ask their children to attend a cheap state university and apply for loans..
And only international students on scholarships go to Ivy League universities:>)

Quote:
In China, all parents pay their child's college tuition in full (except they are too poor, like unemployed), and also help with the down payment for their child's apartment. It is also a Chinese tradition to contribute a significant amount of money to their child's new family, when s/he gets married..
It is not any different in the US.

Quote:
I'm not saying either way is better or worse. However, Chinese parents do save for children.
If you have one to put through college this may work. Try three or four!

Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM

242 posts, read 368,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ok, that's about 270€ a month, 344€ with the higher. That's nothing in a developed country. To call these people misusers of the system or parasites just at hand is only wrong. To think you would live like a king with that amount of money is ridiculous.

In any case, I hardly think someone could buy a sports car with social benefits...
Are you best friends with Ameriscot, sometimes I cant even tell the difference between your comments...

Old 11-27-2013, 04:09 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
So, you're saying that one income wasn't enough to live on back then? You're saying that wages have kept up with the cost of living? You're saying that the loss of manufacturing and other good paying jobs from those days had nothing to do with it? Please tell me more about your struggles.
It was.
But my parents (the generation you speak of) did not buy things like the middle class and poor of today buy things. My mother has clothes that are 35 years old. Most of their appliances are from the 1980s. They bought in bulk, didn't own property till they were older, used one car (or at times no car), kept a tv or over a decade, kept a car 20 years, etc.

People do not act like that now. And my folks were upper middle class!!!

I do not deny high col today, but open your eyes. People could far better make do with a pinch of frugality. People of all income levels demand to own what only rich people had when I was a kid (like I remember big screen tvs being so awesome...) and industry has made that accessible through off-shoring jobs.

Now your idiot American wants the jobs back here AND to live the same inflated lifestyle? That is a no go.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
its a bit misleading but still very sobering, the stats i mean, since only 46% of americans actually work, that means that of 76%, 30% of your quote are on some sort of public assistance. there was no economic recovery, the just all went on some sort of public assistance permanently.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It was.
But my parents (the generation you speak of) did not buy things like the middle class and poor of today buy things. My mother has clothes that are 35 years old. Most of their appliances are from the 1980s. They bought in bulk, didn't own property till they were older, used one car (or at times no car), kept a tv or over a decade, kept a car 20 years, etc.

People do not act like that now. And my folks were upper middle class!!!

I do not deny high col today, but open your eyes. People could far better make do with a pinch of frugality. People of all income levels demand to own what only rich people had when I was a kid (like I remember big screen tvs being so awesome...) and industry has made that accessible through off-shoring jobs.

Now your idiot American wants the jobs back here AND to live the same inflated lifestyle? That is a no go.
You are cherry picking who are over spenders. There are plenty of Americans today who don't go anywhere other than work. Clip Coupons, rent in less than desirable areas, eat lower quality food because it's cheaper and still can barely make ends meet. Now I don't know if your beliefs in general are right or left but your logic is typical of the right on this issue; rich people paying other rich people to tell the middle class to blame poor people while they laugh all the way to the bank.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You are cherry picking who are over spenders. There are plenty of Americans today who don't go anywhere other than work. Clip Coupons, rent in less than desirable areas, eat lower quality food because it's cheaper and still can barely make ends meet. Now I don't know if your beliefs in general are right or left but your logic is typical of the right on this issue; rich people paying other rich people to tell the middle class to blame poor people while they laugh all the way to the bank.
I have spent 20+ years working with the poor.
In different places.
I think I understand how a great deal of them think.
With despair, there often comes a short time horizon.

Your average Joe, not a poor person, does not want to return to the time when only the rich got the good toys. That fact is undeniable.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 PM

317 posts, read 474,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
There's too much shame in being poor to live that way in the US. As usual Americans in here blame the victims (the poor themselves). This country is the poster child of rub it in your face materialism. Besides many people are in debt because of student loans or medical bills which isn't their fault.
Yep. There's no way for poor people to win, really. If you go out and are seen having nice things, you're vilified for "living like royalty off the system." If you go out in shabby clothes and junky cars, you're vilified for "daring to go out in public that way" while "respectable" people shrink away from you. It's completely ridiculous.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have spent 20+ years working with the poor.
In different places.
I think I understand how a great deal of them think.
With despair, there often comes a short time horizon.

Your average Joe, not a poor person, does not want to return to the time when only the rich got the good toys. That fact is undeniable.
And I've worked with the rich, doesn't mean I understand what being that well off is like

Old 11-29-2013, 01:44 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
And only international students on scholarships go to Ivy League universities:>)

It is not any different in the US.

If you have one to put through college this may work. Try three or four!
Why 3 or 4 if you can't afford it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World