Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:55 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times

Advertisements

Which ones are the most popular surnames/ family names in your country?
Do women change their surname once they get married?
Are there differences of surnames by social status or not any more?

I found this map on the internet about the most popular surnames but it is only from Europe http://twistedsifter.files.wordpress...-in-europe.jpg and maybe not very accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 05:10 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Most common names in Austria are (according to wikipedia):

Gruber
Huber
Wagner
Müller
Pichler
Moser
Steiner
Mayer
Berger
Hofer

Quote:
You can decide during the marriage which family name you want to choose, but usually the bride takes the name of the groom.

Quote:
In Austria not only were the privileges of the nobility abolished, their titles and prepositions were abolished as well after WWI. Friedrich von Hayek became Friedrich Hayek, the son of the last emperor was known as Otto Habsburg-Lothringen and not Otto von Habsburg.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:22 AM

221 posts, read 343,452 times
Top 5 most used surnames in Norway:

1. Hansen
2. Johansen
3. Olsen
4. Larsen
5. Andersen

There is a trend among women to add the husband's name instead of having the maiden name replaced.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
List of most common surnames in Oceania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not surprisingly names from the British Isles dominate.

Yes it's still the norm for women to take on their husband's name but not all do.

No I'm not aware of richer people having different names.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:35 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
In the USA women have the option of keeping their surname, adding the husband's family name to theirs (meaning having 2 last names) or going the traditional route of simply changing their surname to their husband's family name.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:42 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
the Netherlands

1.De Jong
2.Jansen
3.De Vries
4.Van den Berg

5-7:
Van Dijk, Bakker, Janssen

8.Visser
9.Smit
10.Meijer
11.De Boer

12-14:
Mulder, De Groot, Bos

15-17:
Vos, Peters, Hendriks

18-19:
Van Leeuwen, Dekker

20.Brouwer

21-23:
De Wit, Dijkstra, Smits

24-25:
De Graaf, Van der Meer

Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Apparently the most common are these. I included the non-French ones in the top 50.

1 Martin
2 Bernard
3 Dubois
4 Thomas
5 Robert
6 Richard
7 Petit
8 Durand
9 Leroy
10 Moreau
15 Garcia
30 Martinez
37 Muller
47 Lopez

Quote:
You can decide during the marriage which family name you want to choose, but usually the bride takes the name of the groom.
Same here.

I think there are still differences by social status. In rallies (sorry in French), you're more likely to encounter people with a noble surname (de...). Such parties are organized partly for social networking purposes.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
The most common are:

1. Korhonen
2. Virtanen
3. Mäkinen
4. Nieminen
5. Mäkelä
6. Hämäläinen
7. Laine
8. Heikkinen
9. Koskinen
10. Järvinen

The surnames that ends with -nen are of Eastern Finnish origin. The reason is that surnames were common in Eastern Finland already in the medieval times, while in Western Finland common people had only first names, or when needed, a patronym. Patronyms were abolished when surnames became common, and Western Finnish surnames ends with -la/-lä, often abbreviated to the farm/estate the person was based to. Therefore names ending with -nen are so common, as they are the oldest ones by far.
The -nen ending is also used for nationalities, for example the word 'espanjalainen' means a person from Spain.

As there has been a lot of internal mobility, you can't figure out where the person is from anymore. I have a -nen ending surname, but I'm not from Eastern Finland.

---

In 80% of the marriages women take the surname of the groom, or a combined name. For example a bride named Heikkinen marries a Korhonen, she can take the name Heikkinen-Korhonen. Or the groom if he wants, but that's very uncommon. The combined name is not inheritable, so Heikkinen-Korhonen's children will have only one of those. 2% of the males take the bride's name, and the rest keep their own names only.
Nowadays it's also possible to start a new family also in names, and the married couple can choose or invent a new surname, if the surname is not under special protection or banned. So you can't take the names like Hitler or zu Castell-Rüdenhausen.

---

And no, you can't figure the social status from surnames anymore, but of course, having a Swedish, Russian or German noble name most certainly increases the possibility. Among the richest families in Finland are still names like Aminoff, von Rettig, Ehrnrooth, Fazer and von Julin.
But on the other hand, the name Carpelan is one of the oldest nobility families in Finland, but I've bought a telephone subscription from a man named Carpelan, so having a nice name doesn't always mean you're rich...

Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I think there are still differences by social status. In rallies (sorry in French), you're more likely to encounter people with a noble surname (de...). Such parties are organized partly for social networking purposes.
So these are get-togethers and social clubs for prominent families, right? Can anyone join, or are these some kind of invite-only groups? Please explain, I can't understand everything in that article.

But some stereotypes live on in this country as well. When I did my conscription, it was hardly a surprise that all three persons that had a 'von' -starting surname went on the officer course...

Old 10-09-2013, 06:32 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
In Russia - Smirnov, Ivanov ,Popov ,Kuznetsov, Sokolov, Lebedev, Kozlov, Novikov ,Morozov, Petrov , Volkov , Solovyov ,Vasiliev ,Zaitsev, Pavlov, Semenov, Golubev , Bogdanov, Vinogradov, Vorobiev , Sidorov.
Yes, after marriage, she takes her husband's name, but if she wants to, can keep her maiden name. No, the name does not have a social status today.
Today the family name was silly to social status. The origin is possible, but social status is nonsense, because it can change at any moment of life.
For example, my ancestors came from a noble family name as the nobility, After cannibalization it does not matter now, Since the status of the family has changed many times.but today it does not matter, because it just sounds strange.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 10-09-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World