Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 AM

7,873 posts, read 10,229,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameX View Post
Which nationalities are soo similar that they hard to tell apart from each other. And what makes em so similar.

Here's a list of nationalities I think are extremely similar.
Americans and Canadians.. similar history and culture
Mexicans and Guatemalans
British and Irish
Spanish and Portuguese
Jamaicans and Bajans
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans
Salvadorans and Hondorans
Panamanians and Costa Ricans
Haitians and French West Africans
Italians and French
Greeks and Turkish
Trinidadians and Guyanese
North Korean and Chinese
South Korean and Japanese

the bulk of those countries don't come close to America and Canada in terms is similarity , ive relatives in BC and they sound and act like americans in every way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,263,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Errrr.......what?

I think the people of Quebec kind of fall into the AM/CAN category....no? lol
You are probably right. I am just speaking of the few Quebecois, which weren't many who were always mistaken for French people on the west coast and we see more French people here actually. I know that this is something that Quebecois really don't much appreciate.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
US - Canada
France - Wallonia
Sweden - Norway
Finland - Estonia
The Netherlands - Denmark
Australia - New Zealand
Scotland - Ireland
Morocco - Algeria
India - Bangladesh
Singapore - Malaysia
Chile - Argentina - Uruguay
Japan - South Korea
Serbia - Croatia
Russia - Belarus
Monaco - Liechtenstein
South Africa - Zimbabwe (when it was still Rhodesia)
Germany (Bavaria) - Austria
Romania - Moldova
Greece - Cyprus
Colombia - Mexico
Czech Republic - Slovakia
Croatia - Slovenia

^ For some reason, I always group these countries together in my mind. They seem very similar.
A Colombian would slit your throat if they heard you say that. Having worked with both I can tell you that while the two speak the same language (and not even in the same way), they have little else in common.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
Despite the fact they were at war in 1991-1995?
Yes despite that. They were still part of the same country for almost a century and despite the fact that they now have specific names for their language dialects, Serbs in Croatia "speak" like their Croatian neighbors and vice-versa for Serbia.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM

I'm going to add:

Filipinos-Guamanians

Old 07-12-2013, 12:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,438,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yes despite that. They were still part of the same country for almost a century and despite the fact that they now have specific names for their language dialects, Serbs in Croatia "speak" like their Croatian neighbors and vice-versa for Serbia.
Really, a lot of Bosniaks don't look much different than Serbians and Croatians as well... And the language is basically Serbo-Croatian. Travelling around the region you find that Serbian, Croatians, Bosnians, and Montenegrins are pretty close to each other with the exception of religion...

Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,438,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameX View Post
North Korean and Chinese
South Korean and Japanese
North Koreans and South Koreans are the same people. They're just all Koreans separated by a border and governments.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:42 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,694,491 times
Latin American countries are kinda difficult because there is a mix of people in every country. They have mestizos, mulattos, whites, blacks, Native Americans. So for instance, a mestizo from Mexico won't look different from a mestizo from Argentina. A mulatto from Venezuela won't look much different from a mulatto in Cuba. So that's why I laugh when Latin Americans think that the rest of us are supposed to be able to differentiate them by looks. It's not like other places like Asia, Europe, and Africa where most people have been there for thousands of years. Most of the population of Latin America has ancestry from relatively recent arrivals (Europeans, Africans). The only group that will look different from country to country in Latin America are the Native Americans because they've been there for thousands of years and have evolved to look different based on where they live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm going to add:

Filipinos-Guamanians
Yea. Guamanians (Chamorros) could be one of the many ethnic groups in the Philippines.

Last edited by Smtchll; 07-12-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Really, a lot of Bosniaks don't look much different than Serbians and Croatians as well... And the language is basically Serbo-Croatian. Travelling around the region you find that Serbian, Croatians, Bosnians, and Montenegrins are pretty close to each other with the exception of religion...
I'm aware of that but as I didn't mention Bosniaks...

Old 07-12-2013, 05:12 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,509,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Latin American countries are kinda difficult because there is a mix of people in every country. They have mestizos, mulattos, whites, blacks, Native Americans. So for instance, a mestizo from Mexico won't look different from a mestizo from Argentina. A mulatto from Venezuela won't look much different from a mulatto in Cuba. So that's why I laugh when Latin Americans think that the rest of us are supposed to be able to differentiate them by looks. It's not like other places like Asia, Europe, and Africa where most people have been there for thousands of years. Most of the population of Latin America has ancestry from relatively recent arrivals (Europeans, Africans). The only group that will look different from country to country in Latin America are the Native Americans because they've been there for thousands of years and have evolved to look different based on where they live.
Argentina has very few mestizos, most of the people in Argentina is purely caucasian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World