Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least developed "BRIC" nation?
Brazil 10 9.01%
Russia 5 4.50%
India 91 81.98%
China 5 4.50%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM

263 posts, read 808,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
This chart ends on 2010 though, any idea what happened since then?
Russia is higher up now, it has a GDP(nominal) per capita above 14k. But looking at the data it shows Brazil and Russia have been neck-in-neck for a while. And also Russia started the past decades much lower, and was closer to China and India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Take a trip outside of Moscow, and you're gonna find some extremely under-developed places lol. I lived in a rural area in the Moscow Oblast (99 kilometres from the city) and the most developed thing in our village was a grocery store. We relied on a well for our hydrating needs. Hardly the definiton of "developed"

Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
Russia is higher up now, it has a GDP(nominal) per capita above 14k. But looking at the data it shows Brazil and Russia have been neck-in-neck for a while. And also Russia started the past decades much lower, and was closer to China and India.
I don't know what to believe any more...

Russian GDP Beats Brazil's Even As Investment Slips - Forbes

I am not all that familiar with Brazilian economy, what it's based on and things like that, plus I am not sure what "past decades" you are talking about.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Take a trip outside of Moscow, and you're gonna find some extremely under-developed places lol. I lived in a rural area in the Moscow Oblast (99 kilometres from the city) and the most developed thing in our village was a grocery store. We relied on a well for our hydrating needs. Hardly the definiton of "developed"
That really does not mean undeveloped though, heck, there are plenty of houses in the US that have use well water; the one I grew up in did and it was a brand new built, four bedroom home. Water lines are just not laid out everywhere, and I was only two miles from one of the top ten richest counties in the US.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM

263 posts, read 808,414 times
Quote:
I don't know what to believe any more...

Russian GDP Beats Brazil's Even As Investment Slips - Forbes
You can believe what I just said in the comment you're responding to. Russia is higher up right now, who's in disagreement?

Quote:
I am not all that familiar with Brazilian economy, what it's based on and things like that,
Let me google that for you

Quote:
I am not sure what "past decades" you are talking about.
Take a look at the chart I posted. Russia had a lower GDP per capita at the start of the 2000s.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Brazil looses one position in the GDP per capita and human development each year, thanks to the Workers' Party and its anticapitalist bias.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM

108 posts, read 259,397 times
India the place is a dump I don't think I have been so happy in my life to get on a plane and leave. Whats holding India back is the infrastructure or lack of it when you take a look at China and see the huge road and rail networks which has benefited the economy and helped China to grow much quicker. A fine example was the commonwealth games in India which is much smaller than the Olympics the whole construction phase was full of corruption and wasn't completed on time.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen401 View Post
Yes I saw that, thanks, but I'd be curious to see the chart. The last chart ( that stopped at 2010) showed certain trend, that was pointing at Brazil overtaking Russia as far as GDP goes, so I wondered what exactly happened that changed this trend; was it some sudden bump in Russian economy, or was it some unpredictable slump for Brazilian economy.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
You can believe what I just said in the comment you're responding to. Russia is higher up right now, who's in disagreement?

Let me google that for you

Take a look at the chart I posted. Russia had a lower GDP per capita at the start of the 2000s.
Oh, it's not about disagreeing, and of course I did google up Brazilian economy - I just didn't get a good picture about the distinctive features of it. I mean the production of "millions of tons of steel, 26 million tons of cement, 3.5 million television sets, and 3 million refrigerators" didn't tell me much, particularly that I didn't encounter anything "made in Brazil" in US ( or anywhere else) other than shoes.
But I probably should have paid attention of course to this -

"With increased economic stability provided by the Plano Real, Brazilian and multinational businesses have invested heavily in new equipment and technology, a large proportion of which has been purchased from U.S. firms."

Economy of Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So basically the boom of Brazilian economy is about US firms and "multinationals" after all.

It was surprising for me to see on that chart for real that after the fall of Communism and the nineties the level of life for Russians plunged below Brazil! ( Brazil for Christ sake!) if that's what that chart means.
But then, again, if I put two and two together - the US policies guided by desire to irrevocably turn Russia into typical third world country, while looking for outlet for its market/finances somewhere in Brazil - yes, it all makes sense now.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Oh, it's not about disagreeing, and of course I did google up Brazilian economy - I just didn't get a good picture about the distinctive features of it. I mean the production of "millions of tons of steel, 26 million tons of cement, 3.5 million television sets, and 3 million refrigerators" didn't tell me much, particularly that I didn't encounter anything "made in Brazil" in US ( or anywhere else) other than shoes.
But I probably should have paid attention of course to this -

"With increased economic stability provided by the Plano Real, Brazilian and multinational businesses have invested heavily in new equipment and technology, a large proportion of which has been purchased from U.S. firms."

Economy of Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So basically the boom of Brazilian economy is about US firms and "multinationals" after all.

It was surprising for me to see on that chart for real that after the fall of Communism and the nineties the level of life for Russians plunged below Brazil! ( Brazil for Christ sake!) if that's what that chart means.
But then, again, if I put two and two together - the US policies guided by desire to irrevocably turn Russia into typical third world country, while looking for outlet for its market/finances somewhere in Brazil - yes, it all makes sense now.
You missed the bolding of "Brazilian." There was an "and" next to it which makes the boom also about Brazilian companies. Also, part of the lack of "made in Brazil" is because Brazil has been pretty protective of its domestic industries and has concentrated on developing their own versions of this or that (they also make people crazy fees for importing certain consumer goods into Brazil) rather than becoming a major goods exporter though there are some huge Brazilian multinationals though. You'll also see a lot more Brazilian products in South America and the rest of Latin America than in the US, but that's pretty much to be expected.

Also, there's nothing wrong being behind Brazil--Brazil has a lot of gun violence and inequality, but that doesn't mean it was all a third world slum. It has had substantially better conditions than most of the countries of Asia and Africa for quite a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World