Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least developed "BRIC" nation?
Brazil 10 9.01%
Russia 5 4.50%
India 91 81.98%
China 5 4.50%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, so I wanted to state both Russia and the USSR lest anyone thinks I'm singling out the Soviet period for lack of consumer facing technologies. It seems to have a lot to do with the relatively small affluent and educated middle class and merchant class Russia's had relative to some other nations.
Not only that (although this might play the role as well,) but I have an impression that Russians don't have a penchant for creating "finer things in life" when it comes to consumer goods. The way their national character works I suppose, is "unless its' some kind of a masterpiece I am not going to be bothered."
So they've always had very skillful craftsmen among them, (judging by artifacts in Russian museums,) Russian painters are outstanding - among the best in the world, but when it comes to more "mortal things" - Russians en mass don't seem to care enough, mostly relying on Western Europeans for trendsetting and quality goods in this respect.

Quote:
I don't understand how it's counted as regurgitation. Mathematical and technological progress was never a strictly western affair, and western europe did not reach arguable levels of trchnological superiority until the late 18th or early 19th century. Meanwhile, before, currently, and in the future, technological knowhow was/is/will be the same as usual where ideas get diffused to parts receptive to them and built upon. If this is all regurgitation, then it has always been regurgitation and certainly the West would have fairly little claim to being the original.
It's "regurgitation" when applied in a sense of a modern world. Of course mathematical ( and technological) progress was not an exclusive domain of European civilization; throughout the history in different periods of it, there were different nations/different societies that represented the "cutting edge" of such progress ( Islamic society including,) but the cradle of the modern world as we know it is undeniably in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Not only that (although this might play the role as well,) but I have an impression that Russians don't have a penchant for creating "finer things in life" when it comes to consumer goods. The way their national character works I suppose, is "unless its' some kind of a masterpiece I am not going to be bothered."
So they've always had very skillful craftsmen among them, (judging by artifacts in Russian museums,) Russian painters are outstanding - among the best in the world, but when it comes to more "mortal things" - Russians en mass don't seem to care enough, mostly relying on Western Europeans for trendsetting and quality goods in this respect.

It's "regurgitation" when applied in a sense of a modern world. Of course mathematical ( and technological) progress was not an exclusive domain of European civilization; throughout the history in different periods of it, there were different nations/different societies that represented the "cutting edge" of such progress ( Islamic society including,) but the cradle of the modern world as we know it is undeniably in Europe.
Don't really agree with you in terms of the modern age since that's a constantly moving sort of goal post. The history of technology and mathematical development doesn't seem to bear this one out so well as the steps were still gradual and much of the growth was constant regurgitation and then swallowing the vomit over and over again.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:15 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,163 times
It shouldn't be a debate - it's India! As it stands...l

Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 PM

44 posts, read 92,352 times
Stupid poll... Without a doubt it's India.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:02 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Ranking of the 4 countries according to the HDI (Human Development Index):

Russia - 0.788

Brazil - 0.730

China - 0.699

India - 0.554

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

Ranking of the 4 countries according to the GDP (PPP) per capita (International Monetary Fund):

Russia - 17,709

Brazil - 11,875

China - 9,162

India - 3,830

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...%29_per_capita

Ranking of the 4 countries according to life expectancy (overall):

China - 76

Brazil - 74

Russia - 69

India - 65

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ife_expectancy

Ranking of the 4 countries according to infant mortality rate (United Nations Population Division 2005-2010):

Russia - 11.31

China - 21.99

Brazil - 23.47

India - 52.91

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mortality_rate

Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Brazil is part of the West.
Really both Brazil and Russia have large economies, but mostly based on commodities. None of these countries have a competitive industry and are minor powers when talking about technology - the opposite of what happens in China.
No. Brazil's economy is far less based off of natural resources than Russia. Brazil and Canada are fairly similar % of economy from natural resources:

Total natural resources rents (% of GDP) | Data | Table

Among developed nations, only Australia is higher than Canada.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:04 PM

827 posts, read 865,424 times
India by far.

In a ranking, it would be:
1st = Russia
2nd = Brazil
3rd = China
4th = India

Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 AM

304 posts, read 782,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No I did not. Where was great Brazilian economy when it has been run by Brazilian companies only?
Actually, I'd ask the same about China - where was the "great tiger" until Americans moved there their technologies?

Thanks but no thanks.
When it comes to slums and inequality...(and I didn't even know about the guns.)
where was the "great tiger"? doesn't it take time for it to develop? destructive events/movements like the Cultural Revolution held back an entire generation of potential scientists, teachers, intellectuals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World