Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times

Advertisements

I've traveled a bunch. Both by plane and by boat. I have only had issues twice. Once was the first time flying and I arrived from Venezuela to Miami. (I took a boat down and was coming home for Christmas) I was nervous and kept fumbling with my passport. That was the trigger.
Another time was arriving into Philly from a trip to Costa Rica with only a small carry on. He was actually cool about it and when we asked what made him target us he mentioned the fact that it was a last minute ticket purchase to a Central American country for only a couple of days and we had no luggage. Understandable.

Every other time I've had no issues. Some seem to have no personality and its easy to understand that they may have a short fuse because of all the people (many not nice) that they have to deal with. So I just show up, don't cross the line until they wave me in, have my passport and customs form in hand with the page opened, smile and say good morning/afternoon/evening and answer every question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
My only experience with Customs/Immigration was in late 1991 when we drove with my grandad to the Soviet border and my grandad asked if I could enter USSR even for a minute, just so I could say I had been there before it collapsed. I was scared as hell and didn't even want to go, but luckily the request was declined.
I met Soviet soldiers and tanks in Berlin in 1990 and almost sh*tted my pants. The USSR was indeed very scary for a little boy.

I've never been in a country that requires border formalities, even during pre-Schengen no border controls were held in Western Europe.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:19 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I've never been in a country that requires border formalities, even during pre-Schengen no border controls were held in Western Europe.
In 2002-03 I was working for a US software company that had a big project in Svetogorsk (formerly Enso), Russia, which is about 10 km from Imatra. Since the hotels on the Russian side were nasty and unsafe, we all stayed in Imatra. So every morning we'd go through Finnish customs and immigration, and then Russian customs and immigration. Because of the time difference, sometimes we'd have to get up at 5 am to make it to Svetogorsk for a 9 am meeting.

At first the Russian side was a bunch of shacks, then a brand-new EU-funded customs building opened up and they became almost professional. The whole process was a huge pain, but not really scary, except for when the Finnish border guards spoke to me in Finnish (as I have a Finnish last name) and got really disappointed when I explained I didn't speak the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World