Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,573 times

Advertisements

I think Japanese should be on the top of the list.

I am not sure about the Turks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 01:15 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

For me, the most polite people I've ever experienced are the Turks, followed closely by the Swiss and the Japanese.
The most polite I have met are those from Norway, Montreal and Naples. Turks??? what a laugh!!!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:00 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Where would you suggest instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke81 View Post
I think you picked the most impolite people in the world Born and raised in Austria I've never been anywhere where people easier get into fights with people they don't know (driving the tram is sometimes like watching a talk show), waiters are impolite and especially bus and taxi drivers, the most unfriendly people in the world! Maybe they are nicer to tourists though.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:18 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
The most polite I have met are those from Norway, Montreal and Naples. Turks??? what a laugh!!!
Naples? In person yes, but not while driving....

Norway, yes if you remove the air of sanctimony.

Montreal, yes - very nice people.

The Turks are very polite. I say this from experience in Turkey and in woking with many Turks over the years.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 PM

In that case those are probably different from the kind of Turks who have immigrated (most are from poorer patriarchal eastern Turkey) to northwest European countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post

The Turks are very polite. I say this from experience in Turkey and in woking with many Turks over the years.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:13 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
... I think to me politeness is about hospitality and thoughtfulness and always trying to put people at ease. It's not necessarily about being prim and proper and knowing etiquette.
Mooseketeer I agree with you. But actually etiquette is supposed to be for the very purpose of putting people at ease and making things comfortable. Regarding this thread, however, is politeness the same as friendly? Also, what is friendly in one culture is not in another. The standard for friendliness to strangers and polite behavior varies among cultures and therefore how can one make such a judgement at all?
Asians find Americans smiling all the time quite strange and particularly when it is directed at total strangers. Does that make them unfriendly? Japanese have behaviors of politeness that result from the culture's not approving of showing one's feelings in public or "rocking the boat". Does that make them superficial if they show respect and agreement when actually they feel disdain and disapproval? They are following their cultural mores. Arabs will offer you something in their home if you admire it and will give you a feast if you are their guest even though they hardly know you. Americans don't do this. Does that make them less polite or friendly? It gets real complicated. Perhaps it would be more useful to discuss characteristics such as loyalty, helpfulness, or concern for the weak? But then again these may not be universal values, though they might be more measurable than that elusive term "friendly".

Old 12-26-2007, 02:21 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
From working in a very busy airport and speaking to many people from different countries i'd have to say that:

Canadians are the most polite people though with Americans you either really like them or hate them, you get alot of rude ones that expect a Scottish airport to be run exactly like an American one...boy do they criticize. But on the most part, the majority are friendly and love my accent and talk about how good Scotland is..

I find Eastern Europeans and Russians to be very rude and derogatory towards me (being a woman) so no good experiances there.

As far as the English go, it all depends on the social class, alot of the yuppy types just get on my nerves and speak to you like your a complete idiot but lets not go there...

I find Scottish people to be helpful and friendly too. Alot of passengers would agree too

But i must say when I travelled to the US I found the people there to be very friendly and outgoing.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 PM

22 posts, read 111,945 times
Turks and Croats. I also had great experience with Poles

Old 12-26-2007, 02:37 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I sort of skimmed through this whole thread, so I'm not sure if someone touched on this, but I think there's a difference between politeness and friendliness, at least in the way I think of them. When I think of "polite", I think of people with manners, perhaps a bit reserved, people who say "please" and "thank you" and who will go out of their way to offer help. With "friendliness", I think of people who are perhaps more gregarious, who initiate conversations, show interest in you, who are maybe a bit touchy-feely. In these regards, I think the Japanese are the most polite people I have seen. However, if we're rating friendliness, put another check in the column for the Turks for me

I will also say, while I've never been there, I have found Africans in this country, especially those from West Africa, to be among the most exceptionally polite and friendly people.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 PM

I have explained the difference in other threads. Read //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ne-nice-2.html

Polite people are more introverted. Friendly people are more extroverted. One can generalise ethnic groups too. The English and Swedes tend to be polite. The latter are a little less formal in their encounters with people.

American tourists in Europe are known for being extroverted (loud) and friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I sort of skimmed through this whole thread, so I'm not sure if someone touched on this, but I think there's a difference between politeness and friendliness, at least in the way I think of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World