U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 PM

6,508 posts, read 12,303,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Do you know anything about Trinidad or the Caribbean in general? If you did you wouldn't say what you did.

Don't speak about places you know little about.
You shouldn’t say something so rude and ignorant to someone you don’t even know, especially because you aren't familiar in the World forum, don't know the World forum, and barely ever going on the website based on join date and number of posts.

Of course I know enough about Trinidad and Tobago, and most of the Caribbean to say my view of this region of the world. They just don’t qualify compared to the most culturally wealthy and economically wealthy countries.

I don’t have an overly idealistic view of the Caribbean, and even criticize some of it. Just because it has close proximity to North America/USA does not mean it is worth any praise or too much attention. I just don’t have interest for the Caribbean, with very few exceptions.

However, don’t confuse the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico being part of the Caribbean because it is technically not part of the same region. I enjoy the Yucatan Peninsula region of Mexico around Cancun, Tulum, Coba, Isle Mujeres, Xcaret, Cozumel. I went there one summer when I was 14 years old for 10 to 15 days, and this was another pleasant, and wonderful international vacation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Anyways, I developed a pretty good set universal standard for what encompasses a place to have cultural wealth, and the separate definition for what qualifies a place to have economic wealth.

I then said there is plenty of countries easily finding a balance for having cultural wealth together with economic wealth, being successful and having vibrancy for culture and economy. They don’t have to be mutually exclusive and they are easily able to unite together for cultural wealth and economic wealth.

For cultural wealth, this is based on plenty of characteristics and personality traits: Lifestyle, Education, People Scene, Variation of Culture, Unique Culture, Celebrations, Tradition, Festivals, Literature, Philosophy, Food Scene, Architecture, Music Scene, Museums, Art Scene, Theater, Languages, Independent Cafe Bar Scene, Home Decorating Design Items, Spirituality. This is all connected to the vast, intricate amount of variation for the symbols of cultural wealth. Another feature of cultural wealth is related to quality, balance, stability, cultural image, and not just variation, diversity, quantity for the important characteristics and personality traits.

For economic wealth, this is based on job opportunities in the best careers, average per capita annual income, cost of living ratio to annual income: purchasing power, percentage of population being middle class, wealthy upper class, and to what level the economy functions well in a place and positively contributing to some forms of development having to rely on the economy.

These are some countries finding a successful balance for being culturally wealthy and economically wealthy at the same time: France, Switzerland, Austria, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong part of China, South Korea, USA, Canada, Australia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, UK, Germany, Czech Republic.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,214,024 times
France, Germany and Japan are probably the countries which better match these criteria. Surely not the only ones, but the first to come in mind.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:32 AM

2,384 posts, read 6,515,290 times
Though Spain and Italy are having some crisis at the moment, I would still consider these 2 countries to be Culturally wealthy and Economically Wealthy at the same time. Both Spain and Italy's culture is very rich and I believe these countries will be able to recover from their economic crisis very soon as they produce many things.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:45 PM
JL

8,192 posts, read 13,280,070 times
I believe Germany is still doing well considering what has been going on economically in Europe for the past several years, so i would say Germany, Japan, and S. Korea right now.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Though Spain and Italy are having some crisis at the moment, I would still consider these 2 countries to be Culturally wealthy and Economically Wealthy at the same time. Both Spain and Italy's culture is very rich and I believe these countries will be able to recover from their economic crisis very soon as they produce many things.
Yes, there is some exaggerations and false stereotypes for the economic problems that Italy and Spain have. The economy in Italy and Spain is not nearly as bad compared to reputation. Based on some measures, they might continue to have economic wealth, and might qualify in this topic since they definitely have cultural wealth.

Its just the economic problems causes a paradox near contradiction in economics there, and just having to adjust some of the dynamics of the economic infrastructure, even distribution of economic wealth+ career opportunities.

Here is some further information and website links that confirms my views for the economy in Italy and Spain:

"Italy and Spain are at a GDP per capita level around the Eu-27 average, being about 5% higher than Cyprus, Malta, Slovenia, and Czech Republic.”GDP per capita, consumption per capita and price level indices - Statistics Explained

“Italy has a highly diversified economy with high gross domestic product GDP per capita and developed infrastructure. According to the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, and The World Factbook, in 2011 Italy has the 8th largest economy in the world, the fourth-largest in Europe, in terms of nominal GDP, 10th best in terms of purchasing power parity. Italy is a member of the Group of Eight G8 industrialized nations, the European union, and the OECD: Economy of Italy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northern Italy in Milan is a lot wealthier compared to much poorer Southern Italy: Economy of Milan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia “Milan is one of the EU’s major financial and business centers, with the Milan metropolitan area having a 2004 GDP of 312.3 billion which means that it has Europe’s 4th highest GDP for cities. That means that, if were Milan were a country, it would the World’s 28th largest economy, almost the size of the economy of Austria. It is the World’s 26th richest city for purchasing power, and 42nd most important in the Global cities index. Milan has one of Italy’s highest average GDP per capita at $ 52,263 annually which is 161.6% of the EU average per capita."

The economy of Spain is the 13th largest economy in the world. Spain is the 23rd most developed country, among the countries of very high human development:Economy of Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Madrid and Barcelona are a lot more economically wealthier compared to most other areas of Spain and has rather similar economic demographics as Milan in Italy: Economy of Madrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Barcelona Economy

The economic problems in Italy and Spain is mostly related to a lack of balance in locations for where the economy is successful, a regional discrepancy/divide, depends on exact career, certain levels of corruption for employment, politics/government, and high unemployment, especially for younger people, in some areas of each country.

I agree with you the economic problems is easily able to be solved in Italy, Spain, a brief phase in the economy there, and economic situation at least having some redeeming features in Italy, Spain.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 PM

42,661 posts, read 81,124,250 times
Japan, leader of the pack. They didn't sell out their cultural traditions while embracing western technology. Even before WWII. Japan was a very well developed economic power eager to adapt modern technology to the Japanese way of life.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Japan, leader of the pack. They didn't sell out their cultural traditions while embracing western technology. Even before WWII. Japan was a very well developed economic power eager to adapt modern technology to the Japanese way of life.
Isn’t this equally true for Taiwan, Hong Kong part of China, South Korea, and Singapore? Japan is not the only Asian country ranking well for culture and economy.

Technology is not necessarily “Western” anymore, since regions of Asia already developed their unique, well established versions of technology a long time ago.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 PM

42,661 posts, read 81,124,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Isn’t this equally true for Taiwan, Hong Kong part of China, South Korea, and Singapore? Japan is not the only Asian country ranking well for culture and economy.
No, it is not also true of those countries that they became technologically advanced even before WWII . And Singapore has liottle culture of its own now -- Chinese culture survives in Singapore, but there is almost no vestige now of Singapore's Malayan culture that predated WWII.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 AM

9,781 posts, read 18,676,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, it is not also true of those countries that they became technologically advanced even before WWII . And Singapore has liottle culture of its own now -- Chinese culture survives in Singapore, but there is almost no vestige now of Singapore's Malayan culture that predated WWII.
What are you looking for? It's in the sights and smells, especially at the hawker centres. Singapore's cuisine is heavily influenced by Malay cuisine. So is the lingo. Ramadan is still a big deal in Singapore even though most people aren't Muslim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World