U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:03 PM

6,508 posts, read 12,315,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, it is not also true of those countries that they became technologically advanced even before WWII . And Singapore has liottle culture of its own now -- Chinese culture survives in Singapore, but there is almost no vestige now of Singapore's Malayan culture that predated WWII.
Taiwan, Hong Kong part of China, South Korea, and Singapore already reached Japan’s level in culture and economy, especially in recent times.

You at least agree technology is not “Western” anymore, and probably never was originally “Western”, even thousands of years ago, China in particular was very innovative in antiquated and ancient forms of inventions in technology. Asia already developed their unique, well established, modern forms of technology a long time ago.

Some areas of Asia might even seem more technologically advanced+ modern right now compared to some areas of Europe: For one example, Japan vs. Italy, Taiwan/Hong Kong/South Korea/Singapore vs. the Balkans, most of Eastern Europe.

There is a similar correlation in the false stereotypes some people have for the level of economic wealth in Asia.

Why are you using WWII in the 1940s around 70 years ago as a point of reference? I know this was just around when you were born, but for people in their Earliest 20s, including me, this is more than 50 years+ before the younger generation was born into the World.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What are you looking for? It's in the sights and smells, especially at the hawker centres. Singapore's cuisine is heavily influenced by Malay cuisine. So is the lingo.
Yes, the cultural wealth together with economic wealth blend is pretty decent and unique in Singapore, with the Chinese, Malay, Indian, Singapore’s separation from Malaysia, central place in Southeast Asia, and becoming even more multicultural cosmopolitan friendly over time, and continuing to preserve most of the authentic culture of Singapore.

Most people know Singapore is economically successful, even if not realizing the actual near world record levels of economic wealth per capita in Singapore.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,879,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Yes, there is some exaggerations and false stereotypes for the economic problems that Italy and Spain have. The economy in Italy and Spain is not nearly as bad compared to reputation. Based on some measures, they might continue to have economic wealth, and might qualify in this topic since they definitely have cultural wealth.

Its just the economic problems causes a paradox near contradiction in economics there, and just having to adjust some of the dynamics of the economic infrastructure, even distribution of economic wealth+ career opportunities.

The economic problems in Italy and Spain is mostly related to a lack of balance in locations for where the economy is successful, a regional discrepancy/divide, depends on exact career, certain levels of corruption for employment, politics/government, and high unemployment, especially for younger people, in some areas of each country.

I agree with you the economic problems is easily able to be solved in Italy, Spain, a brief phase in the economy there, and economic situation at least having some redeeming features in Italy, Spain.
You have no clue what you are talking about. The economic problems of countries like Italy and Spain are not easily able to be solved, nor a brief phase in the economy. They are primarily based on structural current account deficits for which there is no easy solution (and the austerity measures that are being imposed now will likely only worsen things, as they crush domestic demand). Since these countries are constrained in their monetary policy (ECB) and fiscal policy (Stability and Growth Pact), the only viable option to improve their competitiveness is by restraining wage increases relative to productivity growth, which causes an internal devaluation and thus boosts exports. However, the problem is that 1) the wages and welfare systems in Spain and Italy are generally worse than in the "core" EU countries (like Germany, France, Benelux) which gives them less room to cut wages, and 2) Germany has imposed relentless wage restrictions on its workers for years, which makes it extremely hard to compete with Germany.

The trade imbalance caused by unfair wage restrictions on Germany's part is at the root of this crisis. Unless Germany is willing to let their labour-unit costs increase (which would kill their exports, which is what their entire economy thrives on) or to transfer money to countries like Spain and Italy to make up for the deficits that Germany imposes on them (which is not a popular proposal in Germany, I can assure you), this crisis is far from over.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
You have no clue what you are talking about. The economic problems of countries like Italy and Spain are not easily able to be solved, nor a brief phase in the economy. They are primarily based on structural current account deficits for which there is no easy solution (and the austerity measures that are being imposed now will likely only worsen things, as they crush domestic demand). Since these countries are constrained in their monetary policy (ECB) and fiscal policy (Stability and Growth Pact), the only viable option to improve their competitiveness is by restraining wage increases relative to productivity growth, which causes an internal devaluation and thus boosts exports. However, the problem is that 1) the wages and welfare systems in Spain and Italy are generally worse than in the "core" EU countries (like Germany, France, Benelux) which gives them less room to cut wages, and 2) Germany has imposed relentless wage restrictions on its workers for years, which makes it extremely hard to compete with Germany.

The trade imbalance caused by unfair wage restrictions on Germany's part is at the root of this crisis. Unless Germany is willing to let their labour-unit costs increase (which would kill their exports, which is what their entire economy thrives on) or to transfer money to countries like Spain and Italy to make up for the deficits that Germany imposes on them (which is not a popular proposal in Germany, I can assure you), this crisis is far from over.
I couldn’t care less what you said for now on, especially with how you were in recent posts. You are just failing to see anything related to reality. The economy of Spain and Italy is not nearly as bad compared to reputation.

I already knew what you said about the economic infrastructure in some countries of Europe, and Germany’s attempt to monopolize involvement in EU economy. Anyways, you should know your post is reaching off topic levels, too much about economic wealth, and not enough about cultural wealth, way too much about Europe, and not for other regions of the world.

Read my post to learn more about the economy in Italy, and Spain, and stop being negative:

Quote:
Yes, there is some exaggerations and false stereotypes for the economic problems that Italy and Spain have. The economy in Italy and Spain is not nearly as bad compared to reputation. Based on some measures, they might continue to have economic wealth, and might qualify in this topic since they definitely have cultural wealth.

Its just the economic problems causes a paradox near contradiction in economics there, and just having to adjust some of the dynamics of the economic infrastructure, higher annual wage, even distribution of economic wealth+ career opportunities.

Here is some further information and website links that confirms my views for the economy in Italy and Spain:

"Italy and Spain are at a GDP per capita level around the Eu-27 average, being about 5% higher than Cyprus, Malta, Slovenia, and Czech Republic.”GDP per capita, consumption per capita and price level indices - Statistics Explained

“Italy has a highly diversified economy with high gross domestic product GDP per capita and developed infrastructure. According to the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, and The World Factbook, in 2011 Italy has the 8th largest economy in the world, the fourth-largest in Europe, in terms of nominal GDP, 10th best in terms of purchasing power parity. Italy is a member of the Group of Eight G8 industrialized nations, the European union, and the OECD: Economy of Italy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northern Italy in Milan is a lot wealthier compared to much poorer Southern Italy: Economy of Milan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia “Milan is one of the EU’s major financial and business centers, with the Milan metropolitan area having a 2004 GDP of 312.3 billion which means that it has Europe’s 4th highest GDP for cities. That means that, if were Milan were a country, it would the World’s 28th largest economy, almost the size of the economy of Austria. It is the World’s 26th richest city for purchasing power, and 42nd most important in the Global cities index. Milan has one of Italy’s highest average GDP per capita at $ 52,263 annually which is 161.6% of the EU average per capita."

The economy of Spain is the 13th largest economy in the world. Spain is the 23rd most developed country, among the countries of very high human development:Economy of Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Madrid and Barcelona are a lot more economically wealthier compared to most other areas of Spain and has rather similar economic demographics as Milan in Italy: Economy of Madrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Barcelona Economy

The economic problems in Italy and Spain is mostly related to a lack of balance in locations for where the economy is successful, a regional discrepancy/divide, depends on exact career, certain levels of corruption for employment, politics/government, and high unemployment, especially for younger people, in some areas of each country.

I agree with you the economic problems is easily able to be solved in Italy, Spain, a brief phase in the economy there, and economic situation at least having some redeeming features in Italy, Spain.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-26-2013 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Off topic/personal

Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 PM

42,661 posts, read 81,179,125 times
Quote:

Why are you using WWII in the 1940s around 70 years ago as a point of reference? I know this was just around when you were born, but for people in their Earliest 20s, including me, this is more than 50 years+ before the younger generation was born into the World.
I'm dating it from the time that the nation emerged as an economic leader, which is when its culture was in jepoardy of being sold out in favor of economic progress.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I couldn’t care less what you said for now on, especially with how you were in recent posts. You are just failing to see anything related to reality. The economy of Spain and Italy is not nearly as bad compared to reputation.
Are you kidding me? I study European Studies in University. I've written numerous papers on this topic. I don't need your misinformed posts to learn about the Eurozone crisis. Yes, Spain has experienced an economic boom in recent years, which is why its economic statistics from previous years don't look so bad, but this boom was primarily based on a property bubble which has since burst. Spain and Italy suffer structural current account deficits because they cannot keep up with other countries (esp. Germany) in terms of competitiveness. This is not an easy problem to solve because it requires Germany to make sacrifices, and most Germans are under the impression that this is an unreasonable demand to make.

The only thing wrong about Spain's reputation in this regard is that their current crisis is due to government profligacy. Spain actually kept within the deficit and debt limits that were agreed upon in the Stability and Growth Pact prior to the crisis. The main culprit was the private (banking) sector, which contributed to the housing bubble and ended up in major debt. The Spanish government bailed out these banks and that is when it became a sovereign debt crisis. Not saying the Spanish government was completely innocent or responsible in their financial management, but they don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as a country like Greece.

Quote:
I already knew what you said about the economic infrastructure in some countries of Europe, and Germany’s attempt to monopolize involvement in EU economy. Anyways, you should know your post is reaching off topic levels, too much about economic wealth, and not enough about cultural wealth, way too much about Europe, and not for other regions of the world.
If my post is off-topic then so is yours, since we're talking about the same thing. No one said we have to talk about other regions of the world, nor that we can't single out economic wealth. You come up with this excuse whenever you read something you don't like.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to edited post

Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me? I study European Studies in University. I've written numerous papers on this topic. I don't need your misinformed posts to learn about the Eurozone crisis. Yes, Spain has experienced an economic boom in recent years, which is why its economic statistics from previous years don't look so bad, but this boom was primarily based on a property bubble which has since burst. Spain and Italy suffer structural current account deficits because they cannot keep up with other countries (esp. Germany) in terms of competitiveness. This is not an easy problem to solve because it requires Germany to make sacrifices, and most Germans are under the impression that this is an unreasonable demand to make.

The only thing wrong about Spain's reputation in this regard is that their current crisis is due to government profligacy. Spain actually kept within the deficit and debt limits that were agreed upon in the Stability and Growth Pact prior to the crisis. The main culprit was the private (banking) sector, which contributed to the housing bubble and ended up in major debt. The Spanish government bailed out these banks and that is when it became a sovereign debt crisis. Not saying the Spanish government was completely innocent or responsible in their financial management, but they don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as a country like Greece.

If my post is off-topic then so is yours, since we're talking about the same thing. No one said we have to talk about other regions of the world, nor that we can't single out economic wealth. You come up with this excuse whenever you read something you don't like.
You don’t really seem to have a college major in European studies, so this is just very surprising to me. A lack of any original created topics in the Europe forum, forgetting some places in Europe even exist, too much emphasis about European Union EU, Benelux-Germany and nowhere else in Europe, way too much about sterile economics, and not enough about the real authentic soul of Europe, including the cultural wealth in Europe. A lack of vision in European studies.

Well, I already proved to you about the economics in Italy, and Spain, and I know enough about sterile economics in Europe, and don’t need to know more.

I have nothing more to say because I don’t want to debate with someone saying incredibly false, rude, offensive things to me in another recent topic, and not seeing the reality of the world. You have no idea what you said recently was one of the nastiest response I ever seen on this website, and you were being very rude for absolutely no rational reason. I never expected such a response from you. Why would I waste my time debating with you right now or ever reading your posts again? You were talking about yourself.

I am just going to quote an earlier post going very well for this topic relevant to set universal standards for cultural wealth, economic wealth, and most countries finding a successful balance for having cultural wealth, and economic wealth at the same time:

Quote:
Anyways, I developed a pretty good set universal standard for what encompasses a place to have cultural wealth, and the separate definition for what qualifies a place to have economic wealth.

I then said there is plenty of countries easily finding a balance for having cultural wealth together with economic wealth, being successful and having vibrancy for culture and economy. They don’t have to be mutually exclusive and they are easily able to unite together for cultural wealth and economic wealth.

For cultural wealth, this is based on plenty of characteristics and personality traits: Lifestyle, Education, People Scene, Variation of Culture, Unique Culture, Celebrations, Tradition, Festivals, Literature, Philosophy, Food Scene, Architecture, Music Scene, Museums, Art Scene, Theater, Languages, Independent Cafe Bar Scene, Home Decorating Design Items, Spirituality. This is all connected to the vast, intricate amount of variation for the symbols of cultural wealth. Another feature of cultural wealth is related to quality, balance, stability, cultural image, and not just variation, diversity, quantity for the important characteristics and personality traits.

For economic wealth, this is based on job opportunities in the best careers, average per capita annual income, cost of living ratio to annual income: purchasing power, percentage of population being middle class, wealthy upper class, and to what level the economy functions well in a place and positively contributing to some forms of development having to rely on the economy.

These are some countries finding a successful balance for being culturally wealthy and economically wealthy at the same time: France, Switzerland, Austria, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong part of China, South Korea, USA, Canada, Australia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, UK, Germany, Czech Republic.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - response to edited post

Old 08-17-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You don’t really seem to have a college major in European studies, so this is just very surprising to me. A lack of any original created topics in the Europe forum, forgetting some places in Europe even exist, too much emphasis about European Union EU, Benelux-Germany and nowhere else in Europe, way too much about sterile economics, and not enough about the real authentic soul of Europe, including the cultural wealth in Europe. A lack of vision in European studies.
What on earth are you talking about? This is probably the first post I've ever written on the Eurozone crisis (esp. because I can't be bothered to go into discussions like this, with people who lack even basic knowledge about the EU). What places in Europe did I forget? European Studies is about the EU and I come from the Benelux so it makes sense that I write more about that. Unlike you, I don't pretend to be an expert on countries I've never been to.

Quote:
Well, I already proved to you about the economics in Italy, and Spain, and I know enough about sterile economics in Europe, and don’t need to know more.
You proved nothing at all. You copy/pasted some statistics that said the Spanish/Italian GDP per capita is higher than a handful of CEE countries, that Italy is the 8th (actually 9th) and Spain is the 13th largest economy in the world (hardly a surprise with respective populations of 60 million and 46 million), that Northern Italy is wealthier than Southern Italy and that Madrid/Barcelona are the wealthiest parts of Spain (no surprise there either). None of that disproves anything I said. Don't take my word for it, here's a very basic overview of the crisis by the BBC: BBC News - What really caused the eurozone crisis?

Quote:
I have nothing more to say because I don’t want to debate with someone saying incredibly false, rude, offensive things to me in another recent topic, and not seeing the reality of the world. You have no idea what you said recently was one of the nastiest response I ever seen on this website, and you were being very rude for absolutely no rational reason. I never expected such a response from you. Why would I waste my time debating with you right now or ever reading your posts again? You were talking about yourself.
What was so rude and offensive about what I said? I doubt anyone here who is familiar with your posts would disagree with me that you value your own contributions a bit too much. You believe people flock to the World/Europe forums just to read your posts, you describe your posts as "amazing, fantastic, informative, interesting, and wonderful", you regularly quote your own posts as the favourite ones in the thread, etc. I don't do these things so no, I'm pretty sure I'm not talking about myself (another standard response of yours).

Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
What on earth are you talking about? This is probably the first post I've ever written on the Eurozone crisis (esp. because I can't be bothered to go into discussions like this, with people who lack even basic knowledge about the EU). What places in Europe did I forget? European Studies is about the EU and I come from the Benelux so it makes sense that I write more about that. Unlike you, I don't pretend to be an expert on countries I've never been to.

You proved nothing at all. You copy/pasted some statistics that said the Spanish/Italian GDP per capita is higher than a handful of CEE countries, that Italy is the 8th (actually 9th) and Spain is the 13th largest economy in the world (hardly a surprise with respective populations of 60 million and 46 million), that Northern Italy is wealthier than Southern Italy and that Madrid/Barcelona are the wealthiest parts of Spain (no surprise there either). None of that disproves anything I said. Don't take my word for it, here's a very basic overview of the crisis by the BBC: BBC News - What really caused the eurozone crisis?

What was so rude and offensive about what I said? I doubt anyone here who is familiar with your posts would disagree with me that you value your own contributions a bit too much. You believe people flock to the World/Europe forums just to read your posts, you describe your posts as "amazing, fantastic, informative, interesting, and wonderful", you regularly quote your own posts as the favourite ones in the thread, etc. I don't do these things so no, I'm pretty sure I'm not talking about myself (another standard response of yours).
You are completely wrong for most of what you saying to me and sounding like a broken record. It is pathetic this is even happening right now. Why are you even starting this stupid, wasteful conflict or pointless debate?

This is very surprising if you have a college major in European studies. A lack of any original created topics in the Europe forum, forgetting some places in Europe even exist, too much emphasis about European Union EU, Benelux-Germany and nowhere else in Europe, way too much about sterile economics, and not enough about the real authentic soul of Europe, including the cultural wealth in Europe.

I already proved mostly everything to you about Italy and Spain’ economy appropriate for the topic. Time to move on. I dont care anymore to have a debate with you anymore.

What you said was horrible in another recent topic and there was no excuse. I never said anything to you before the delusional insult from you. Don’t be in denial or pretend you forgot all of a sudden. I don’t even want to refer it right now. You must have been talking about yourself since it was a completely ridiculous false accusation.

I was just politely defending myself from someone else being completely rude, offensive, and saying false accusations to me for no reason. Another person I didn't even say anything to before to receive such a stupid response, and this stupid series off topic, insulting posts showed up from a few people for no reason. I never wanted to respond to any of it.

I am usually modest, humble, and I appreciate, like, and respect plenty of other people’s posts and always say this to other people.

You don’t know me, and you were falsely interpreting my posts, and just manipulating, distorting the situation for yourself for no rational reason.

How about you read this information in quotes and learn something in the World forum today:

Quote:
Anyways, I developed a pretty good set universal standard for what encompasses a place to have cultural wealth, and the separate definition for what qualifies a place to have economic wealth.

I then said there is plenty of countries easily finding a balance for having cultural wealth together with economic wealth, being successful and having vibrancy for culture and economy. They don’t have to be mutually exclusive and they are easily able to unite together for cultural wealth and economic wealth.

For cultural wealth, this is based on plenty of characteristics and personality traits: Lifestyle, Education, People Scene, Variation of Culture, Unique Culture, Celebrations, Tradition, Festivals, Literature, Philosophy, Food Scene, Architecture, Music Scene, Museums, Art Scene, Theater, Languages, Independent Cafe Bar Scene, Home Decorating Design Items, Spirituality. This is all connected to the vast, intricate amount of variation for the symbols of cultural wealth. Another feature of cultural wealth is related to quality, balance, stability, cultural image, and not just variation, diversity, quantity for the important characteristics and personality traits.

For economic wealth, this is based on job opportunities in the best careers, average per capita annual income, cost of living ratio to annual income: purchasing power, percentage of population being middle class, wealthy upper class, and to what level the economy functions well in a place and positively contributing to some forms of development having to rely on the economy.

These are some countries finding a successful balance for being culturally wealthy and economically wealthy at the same time: France, Switzerland, Austria, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong part of China, South Korea, USA, Canada, Australia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, UK, Germany, Czech Republic.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:48 AM

14,730 posts, read 4,922,395 times
My choices would be Canada, Trinidad & Tobago, Spain, Colombia, perhaps the Cayman Islands...

Quote:

You seem to have an overly idealistic view of the Caribbean and forgot to say the entire name for the country: Trinidad and Tobago. I don’t see how this Caribbean country would be unique compared to other areas of the Caribbean.
Well, perhaps you should start with the major cultural/religious differences between Trinidad and the rest of the Caribbean. Additionally, the other poster may have had a reason for stating Trinidad alone as opposed to both islands. That would certainly be understandable.

Quote:

Of course I know enough about Trinidad and Tobago, and most of the Caribbean to say my view of this region of the world. They just don’t qualify compared to the most culturally wealthy and economically wealthy countries. I don’t have an overly idealistic view of the Caribbean, and even criticize some of it. Just because it has close proximity to North America/USA does not mean it is worth any praise or too much attention. I just don’t have interest for the Caribbean, with very few exceptions.

Everyone has their own opinion. Let others share their choices. Who said anything about close proximity to North America/USA? As if that means anything. In terms of cultural wealth, I would chose Trinidad over many nations in your list, as it is a place were Christians, Hindus and Muslims live peaceably in general. It is a mixtures of Western and Eastern cultures in a manner that is not just unique to most of the Caribbean but to most of the Americas. In how many other places recognize and celebrate Christmas, Divali & Eid-ul-Fitr as national holidays?

Yet you say you don't see how Trinidad would unique compared to other countries in the Caribbean but claim you know enough about it. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World