U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2013, 03:43 PM
 
6,508 posts, read 12,314,005 times
Reputation: 3279

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
My choices would be Canada, Trinidad & Tobago, Spain, Colombia, perhaps the Cayman Islands...

Well, perhaps you should start with the major cultural/religious differences between Trinidad and the rest of the Caribbean. Additionally, the other poster may have had a reason for stating Trinidad alone as opposed to both islands. That would certainly be understandable.

In terms of cultural wealth, I would chose Trinidad over many nations in your list, as it is a place were Christians, Hindus and Muslims live peaceably in general. It is a mixtures of Western and Eastern cultures in a manner that is not just unique to most of the Caribbean but to most of the Americas. In how many other places recognize and celebrate Christmas, Divali & Eid-ul-Fitr as national holidays?

Yet you say you don't see how Trinidad would unique compared to other countries in the Caribbean.
For your list, I only agree with Canada and maybe Spain. I definitely don’t view Colombia, Cayman islands, and Trinidad Tobago to qualify or rank well for cultural wealth and economic wealth.

I noticed a significant percentage of Americans have overly idealistic opinions for the Caribbean, and similar countries, mostly just because they have relatively close proximity to USA in geographic distance, and too much attention in the corrupted ignorant news media. That is not an excuse to be enchanted and fascinated with those places in Caribbean or Central America.

I know enough about the Caribbean, even with a justified lack of interest for the Caribbean region of the world, and don't need to know more.

What you said about the Trinidad Tobago might be unique for the Caribbean, not for the rest of the world.



For cultural wealth, this is based on plenty of characteristics and personality traits: Lifestyle, Education, People Scene, Variation of Culture, Unique Culture, Celebrations, Tradition, Festivals, Literature, Philosophy, Food Scene, Architecture, Music Scene, Museums, Art Scene, Theater, Languages, Independent Cafe Bar Scene, Home Decorating Design Items, Spirituality. This is all connected to the vast, intricate amount of variation for the symbols of cultural wealth. Another feature of cultural wealth is related to quality, balance, stability, cultural image, and not just variation, diversity, quantity for the important characteristics and personality traits.


For economic wealth, this is based on job opportunities in the best careers, average per capita annual income, cost of living ratio to annual income: purchasing power, percentage of population being middle class, wealthy upper class, and to what level the economy functions well in a place and positively contributing to some forms of development having to rely on the economy.


These are most countries finding a successful balance for being culturally wealthy and economically wealthy at the same time: 1. France, 2. Switzerland, 3. Austria, 4. Taiwan, 5. Japan, 6. Singapore, 7. Hong Kong part of China, 8. South Korea, 9. USA, 10. Canada, 11. Australia, 12. Norway, 13. Sweden, 14. Denmark, 15. Netherlands, 16. Belgium, 17. UK, 18. Germany, 19. Czech Republic, 20. Israel, 21. Seychelles, 22. Chile

Malaysia, Argentina, Italy, Spain might be able to qualify since they have cultural wealth, qualify of life, well balanced, and plenty to appreciate, like, and respect about those countries. However, it is just based on some economic measures, they might not qualify for economic wealth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 PM
 
14,728 posts, read 4,919,794 times
Reputation: 4950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
For your list, I only agree with Canada and maybe Spain. I definitely don’t view Colombia, Cayman islands, and Trinidad Tobago to qualify or rank well for cultural wealth and economic wealth.

I noticed a significant percentage of Americans have overly idealistic opinions for the Caribbean, and similar countries, mostly just because they have relatively close proximity to USA in geographic distance, and too much attention in the corrupted ignorant news media. That is not an excuse to be enchanted and fascinated with those places in Caribbean or Central America.

I know enough about the Caribbean, even with a justified lack of interest for the Caribbean region of the world, and don't need to know more.

What you said about the Trinidad Tobago might be unique for the Caribbean, not for the rest of the world.



For cultural wealth, this is based on plenty of characteristics and personality traits: Lifestyle, Education, People Scene, Variation of Culture, Unique Culture, Celebrations, Tradition, Festivals, Literature, Philosophy, Food Scene, Architecture, Music Scene, Museums, Art Scene, Theater, Languages, Independent Cafe Bar Scene, Home Decorating Design Items, Spirituality. This is all connected to the vast, intricate amount of variation for the symbols of cultural wealth. Another feature of cultural wealth is related to quality, balance, stability, cultural image, and not just variation, diversity, quantity for the important characteristics and personality traits.


For economic wealth, this is based on job opportunities in the best careers, average per capita annual income, cost of living ratio to annual income: purchasing power, percentage of population being middle class, wealthy upper class, and to what level the economy functions well in a place and positively contributing to some forms of development having to rely on the economy.


These are most countries finding a successful balance for being culturally wealthy and economically wealthy at the same time: 1. France, 2. Switzerland, 3. Austria, 4. Taiwan, 5. Japan, 6. Singapore, 7. Hong Kong part of China, 8. South Korea, 9. USA, 10. Canada, 11. Australia, 12. Norway, 13. Sweden, 14. Denmark, 15. Netherlands, 16. Belgium, 17. UK, 18. Germany, 19. Czech Republic, 20. Israel, 21. Seychelles, 22. Chile

Malaysia, Argentina, Italy, Spain might be able to qualify since they have cultural wealth, qualify of life, well
balanced, and plenty to appreciate, like, and respect about those countries. However, it is just based on some economic measures, they might not qualify for economic wealth.
Well, I've lived/studied in the U.S., the Caribbean and Europe. So I definitely believe that Trinidad & Tobago is in fact culturally unique from most of the rest of the world. Most Americans are not exposed to the type of cultural experience that they will find in Trinidad (whether desired or not), and the same goes for people from many other countries.

So whether or not you feel Americans have an idealistic opinion of the Caribbean matters not to me. In my opinion, the majority really don't know much about the Caribbean. Your comments don't really seem different from many of them, and you even prefer not to learn anything more regarding the region. Of course, it is not a problem if you are not interested, but other people have opinions that differ from yours and are just as valid. Not sure why that bothers you so much.

Glad you have a list that works for you. I'll definitely stick to mine...and perhaps add Seychelles to my list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM
 
6,508 posts, read 12,314,005 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Well, I've lived/studied in the U.S., the Caribbean and Europe. So I definitely believe that Trinidad & Tobago is in fact culturally unique from most of the rest of the world. Most Americans are not exposed to the type of cultural experience that they will find in Trinidad (whether desired or not), and the same goes for people from many other countries.

So whether or not you feel Americans have an idealistic opinion of the Caribbean matters not to me. In my opinion, the majority really don't know much about the Caribbean. Your comments don't really seem different from many of them, and you even prefer not to learn anything more regarding the region. Of course, it is not a problem if you are not interested, but other people have opinions that differ from yours and are just as valid. Not sure why that bothers you so much.

Glad you have a list that works for you. I'll definitely stick to mine...and perhaps add Seychelles to my list.
What is your view for the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico? Is this region of Mexico part of the Caribbean based on your opinions?

I like this region of Mexico around Cancun-Tulum-Coba-Xcaret-Cozumel-Isle Mujeres when I visited. I used to believe it was officially part of the Caribbean and then realized the Yucatan Peninsula, even in Cancun, is not culturally or geographically part of the Caribbean and some people have false beliefs or stereotypes with this region of Mexico vs. the Caribbean.

Well, even if Americans might have an overly idealistic view of the Caribbean, they are not very familiar or experiencing the culture they would find over there.


It is about personal preference too, other than set universal standards, especially for how people view cultural wealth since this is kind of more obscure, enigmatic, multi-dimensional to find out compared to economic wealth being easier to figure out. Most people prefer cultural wealth for loving life because the economy/economics on the contrary can be such a negative, pessimistic, sterile topic.

Yes, people have entitlement to their view and opinions for various important topics, if this is justified, valid, well informed, and being polite to other people not having the same opinions compared to them.

The Seychelles is fascinating, unique, and impressive. I am glad to see if you are going to include Seychelles in your list, and having a new place in the list.

This was a relatively pleasant, useful debate, and I agree with some of the places in your list: Canada and Spain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 AM
 
Location: London, UK
9,992 posts, read 11,349,207 times
Reputation: 3473
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
My choices would be Canada, Trinidad & Tobago, Spain, Colombia, perhaps the Cayman Islands...



Well, perhaps you should start with the major cultural/religious differences between Trinidad and the rest of the Caribbean. Additionally, the other poster may have had a reason for stating Trinidad alone as opposed to both islands. That would certainly be understandable.




Everyone has their own opinion. Let others share their choices. Who said anything about close proximity to North America/USA? As if that means anything. In terms of cultural wealth, I would chose Trinidad over many nations in your list, as it is a place were Christians, Hindus and Muslims live peaceably in general. It is a mixtures of Western and Eastern cultures in a manner that is not just unique to most of the Caribbean but to most of the Americas. In how many other places recognize and celebrate Christmas, Divali & Eid-ul-Fitr as national holidays?

Yet you say you don't see how Trinidad would unique compared to other countries in the Caribbean but claim you know enough about it. LOL.
Trinidad and Tobago isn't really unique in the caribbean, other islands have very similar cultures and tend to come under the same cultural group.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 07:04 AM
 
14,728 posts, read 4,919,794 times
Reputation: 4950
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Trinidad and Tobago isn't really unique in the caribbean, other islands have very similar cultures and tend to come under the same cultural group.
Yes, it actually is unique amongst them. None of the other islands have the dynamic that Trinidad and Tobago does. For example, sometimes people from other islands have little underhanded things to say about the Indian population in Trinidad because they are not accustomed to the same mixture of people. Not saying that there are not similarities, but other islands feel significantly different and differ culturally in many ways. Places most similar to Trinidad are Grenada and Guyana, latter being in South America. The further up you go, the more different it is. To say anything different is disingenous, imho.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 18,694,953 times
Reputation: 2833
I think carnivals are popular in Trinidad and Tobago moreso than the other Caribbean islands.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 AM
 
14,728 posts, read 4,919,794 times
Reputation: 4950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
What is your view for the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico? Is this region of Mexico part of the Caribbean based on your opinions?

I like this region of Mexico around Cancun-Tulum-Coba-Xcaret-Cozumel-Isle Mujeres when I visited. I used to believe it was officially part of the Caribbean and then realized the Yucatan Peninsula, even in Cancun, is not culturally or geographically part of the Caribbean and some people have false beliefs or stereotypes with this region of Mexico vs. the Caribbean.

Well, even if Americans might have an overly idealistic view of the Caribbean, they are not very familiar or experiencing the culture they would find over there.


It is about personal preference too, other than set universal standards, especially for how people view cultural wealth since this is kind of more obscure, enigmatic, multi-dimensional to find out compared to economic wealth being easier to figure out. Most people prefer cultural wealth for loving life because the economy/economics on the contrary can be such a negative, pessimistic, sterile topic.

Yes, people have entitlement to their view and opinions for various important topics, if this is justified, valid, well informed, and being polite to other people not having the same opinions compared to them.

The Seychelles is fascinating, unique, and impressive. I am glad to see if you are going to include Seychelles in your list, and having a new place in the list.

This was a relatively pleasant, useful debate, and I agree with some of the places in your list: Canada and Spain.
To answer your question, it depends on how the people in that area perceive themselves. I have not visited those areas, but generally, I respect how the local population identifies. So if the people living there generally consider themselves Caribbean, then yes. If not, then no.

Actually, Seychelles is somewhere I've long been interested in visiting. The reason I did not include it in my list initially is because I did not know enough about its economic status. My reason for wanting to visit the place is because of the cultural mixture of the islands reminds me of Trinidad & Tobago to a significant extent. Few places in the world seem to have a similar makeup. It would be nice to see how the cultures have come together there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think carnivals are popular in Trinidad and Tobago moreso than the other Caribbean islands.
Carnival in many other islands is just as much a part of the culture as in T&T. It is just that T&T's Carnival has become more popular for a number of reasons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 PM
 
6,508 posts, read 12,314,005 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
To answer your question, it depends on how the people in that area perceive themselves. I have not visited those areas, but generally, I respect how the local population identifies. So if the people living there generally consider themselves Caribbean, then yes. If not, then no.

Actually, Seychelles is somewhere I've long been interested in visiting. The reason I did not include it in my list initially is because I did not know enough about its economic status. My reason for wanting to visit the place is because of the cultural mixture of the islands reminds me of Trinidad & Tobago to a significant extent. Few places in the world seem to have a similar makeup. It would be nice to see how the cultures have come together there.
Well, the eastern Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico does technically have Caribbean sea coastline in terms of geography. However, this region of Mexico seems culturally separate from the real Caribbean in terms of culture. Geography and Culture are not synonymous in definition and not being the same.

When I visited the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico in Cancun-Tulm-Coba-Cozumel-Isle Mujeres, most of the local people being asked about similar questions don’t feel they are Caribbean in culture compared to Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Aruba, and Saint Lucia.

In retrospect, I now realize I should not ignore the Caribbean, maybe appreciating this region more, and having some more positive opinions.

However, I continue to not view any place in Caribbean to qualify for this topic with Being The Most Culturally Wealthy and Economically Wealthy countries at the same time compared to France, Switzerland, Austria, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong part of China, South Korea, USA, Canada, Australia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Germany, Czech Republic, Israel, Seychelles, Chile, Malaysia, Argentina, Italy, Spain.

Yeah, the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean is amazing, and might even qualify for this topic. Some people or most people completely forget about the Seychelles even existing, and not knowing the Seychelles is very unique. The islands of the Indian ocean are interesting: Reunion, Mauritius, Seychelles, Maldives, Sri Lanka.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 18,694,953 times
Reputation: 2833
^ Sri Lanka is especially unique...I feel it's often ignored, kinda like Taiwan, being so close to India. It has it's own ancient unique culture (civilisation dating to over 1000 BC), lots of ancient ruins/buildings and a culture very distinct from India as well as related. Buddhism is a big influence on Sinhalese culture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,399 posts, read 5,039,968 times
Reputation: 4423
Def Myanmar, Haiti, and Greenland
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:21 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top