U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM

6,508 posts, read 12,312,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ Sri Lanka is especially unique...I feel it's often ignored, kinda like Taiwan, being so close to India. It has it's own ancient unique culture (civilisation dating to over 1000 BC), lots of ancient ruins/buildings and a culture very distinct from India as well as related. Buddhism is a big influence on Sinhalese culture.
Yes, I see the few similarities between China vs. Taiwan, and India vs. Sri Lanka. However, there is probably more differences than similarities between Taiwan vs. Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka is amazing, and unique for the ancient temples, and relations with India. The Sri Lankan people I met are very friendly, and even friendlier than Indians. I wonder why Buddhism continues to be very popular in Sri Lanka while the original home for Buddhism was from India, and then disappearing from India to be replaced with Hinduism.

Taiwan is becoming more prominent, and one of the most underrated tourism destinations in the world, so it’s not nearly as much ignored compared to Sri Lanka. Taiwan might be my number 1 favorite Asian country when I consider everything, especially for overall quality of life. However, I have plenty of favorite Asian countries.

Sri Lanka definitely has some positive tourist attractions, and interesting to visit. However, Sri Lanka does not qualify for this topic for having a successful balance of cultural wealth together with economic wealth, even if the equality might be better compared to India with less extreme economic disparity.

Taiwan most definitely qualifies for being one of the most culturally wealthy and economically wealthy countries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM

9,781 posts, read 18,689,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Yes, I see the few similarities between China vs. Taiwan, and India vs. Sri Lanka. However, there is probably more differences than similarities between Taiwan vs. Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka is amazing, and unique for the ancient temples, and relations with India. The Sri Lankan people I met are very friendly, and even friendlier than Indians. I wonder why Buddhism continues to be very popular in Sri Lanka while the original home for Buddhism was from India, and then disappearing from India to be replaced with Hinduism.

Taiwan is becoming more prominent, and one of the most underrated tourism destinations in the world, so it’s not nearly as much ignored compared to Sri Lanka. Taiwan might be my number 1 favorite Asian country when I consider everything, especially for overall quality of life. However, I have plenty of favorite Asian countries.

Sri Lanka definitely has some positive tourist attractions, and interesting to visit. However, Sri Lanka does not qualify for this topic for having a successful balance of cultural wealth together with economic wealth, even if the equality might be better compared to India with less extreme economic disparity.

Taiwan most definitely qualifies for being one of the most culturally wealthy and economically wealthy countries.
Yes the Sri Lankans are indeed very friendly, and not only in the 'hello sir, where you come from? You want to buy...' way that you often see in Asia, although of course there are touts and beggars. People there also seem to always have a smile on their face, young and old. I haven't been to India but it's hard to imagine them being friendlier than Sri Lanka. A lot of middle aged Indian women I see here also have rather severe looks a lot of the time lol.

I think it's because Sri Lanka was immune to the wave of anti-Buddhist, pro-Hindu campaigns as well as the Mughals attempt to eradicate Buddhism (as well as Hinduism), especially in the north of the country. Buddhism was introduced to Sri Lanka as early as it was around, and there are old stupas there that date to almost the time that Gautama was alive. There are also bo trees that are the descendants of the original tree the Buddha meditated under. Anuradhapura, which I've visited a long with many others, is a historically significant place to Buddhism and Sri Lanka's first city almost 3000 years old!

Of course Sri Lanka is still poor, but it's quite good compared to India (relative terms), comparing well with the richer states. I don't know if Taiwan is much more visited than Sri Lanka, but offers quite a different experience. It has beautiful natural landscape, spectacular too (mountains, gorges, forests) as well as a unique culture (Taiwanese aborigines) and of course very modern technological cities and delicious food. It's cultural relationship to China can be compared to Australia and Britain. Personally I believe they've forged their own identity and should be recognised as a sovereign nation.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 PM

6,508 posts, read 12,312,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes the Sri Lankans are indeed very friendly, and not only in the 'hello sir, where you come from? You want to buy...' way that you often see in Asia, although of course there are touts and beggars. People there also seem to always have a smile on their face, young and old. I haven't been to India but it's hard to imagine them being friendlier than Sri Lanka. A lot of middle aged Indian women I see here also have rather severe looks a lot of the time lol.

I think it's because Sri Lanka was immune to the wave of anti-Buddhist, pro-Hindu campaigns as well as the Mughals attempt to eradicate Buddhism (as well as Hinduism), especially in the north of the country. Buddhism was introduced to Sri Lanka as early as it was around, and there are old stupas there that date to almost the time that Gautama was alive. There are also bo trees that are the descendants of the original tree the Buddha meditated under. Anuradhapura, which I've visited a long with many others, is a historically significant place to Buddhism and Sri Lanka's first city almost 3000 years old!

Of course Sri Lanka is still poor, but it's quite good compared to India (relative terms), comparing well with the richer states. I don't know if Taiwan is much more visited than Sri Lanka, but offers quite a different experience. It has beautiful natural landscape, spectacular too (mountains, gorges, forests) as well as a unique culture (Taiwanese aborigines) and of course very modern technological cities and delicious food. It's cultural relationship to China can be compared to Australia and Britain. Personally I believe they've forged their own identity and should be recognised as a sovereign nation.
Yeah, there is a noticeable difference between Indian people and Sri Lankan people, including the countries. The differences are even more obvious between Indians vs. Pakistanis/Bengalis, even if Pakistan, and Bangladesh used to be part of the same country of India a long time ago, and then mostly split up because of the majority religion, and the independence movement unification process happening for India right after brief oppressive sovereign foreign British rule a long time ago. http://www.flowofhistory.com/units/eme/18/FC123Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka was actually almost never officially part of India, and some people falsely categorize and group these countries together, and thinking they are completely the same when they are not for plenty of reasons.

Fiji might be another intriguing destination related to this, for an island nation in Oceania actually having a substantial amount of Indian cultural connections happening there, and even some Indian style Hindu temples. It is only 3 hours away from Brisbane Australia to Fiji.

Taiwan should finally be officially recognized as a completely separate country from China, and this is ridiculous the United Nations is not corresponding to the real events happening in Taiwan.

Taiwan is much more progressive, ecologically friendly, equally or even more culturally wealthy, and economically wealthier compared to most of mainland China. However, Hong Kong might actually compare well to Taiwan for having some similar characteristics separate from mainland China.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 PM

9,781 posts, read 18,689,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Yeah, there is a noticeable difference between Indian people and Sri Lankan people, including the countries. The differences are even more obvious between Indians vs. Pakistanis/Bengalis, even if Pakistan, and Bangladesh used to be part of the same country of India a long time ago, and then mostly split up because of the majority religion, and the independence movement unification process happening for India right after brief oppressive sovereign foreign British rule a long time ago. http://www.flowofhistory.com/units/eme/18/FC123Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka was actually almost never officially part of India, and some people falsely categorize and group these countries together, and thinking they are completely the same when they are not for plenty of reasons.

Fiji might be another intriguing destination related to this, for an island nation in Oceania actually having a substantial amount of Indian cultural connections happening there, and even some Indian style Hindu temples. It is only 3 hours away from Brisbane Australia to Fiji.

Taiwan should finally be officially recognized as a completely separate country from China, and this is ridiculous the United Nations is not corresponding to the real events happening in Taiwan.

Taiwan is much more progressive, ecologically friendly, equally or even more culturally wealthy, and economically wealthier compared to most of mainland China. However, Hong Kong might actually compare well to Taiwan for having some similar characteristics separate from mainland China.
Definitely. Sri Lanka was actually never a part of any Indian kingdom, surprisingly, even though it's of course very Indian culturally in many ways. Religion is the main thing that separates the majority Sinhalese, although Tamils have been in the island for probably as long as the Sinhalese and remain similar to Tamils in Tamil Nadu. The northern half of the island is overwhelmingly Tamil. The British colony of Ceylon gained independence around the same time as India.

Yes, it's just because the PRC won't recognise either the ROC or an independent Taiwan. Maybe this will happen in the future. The Taiwanese people themselves need to be more united in wanting a separate Taiwan, though...unless there's a catastrophic collapse of the PRC then the ROC will never realise it's dream. Taiwan probably actually share more with Singapore, due to the fact that a lot of Singaporeans are Hokkien/Fujianese, while HK is Cantonese. 'Taiwanese' might be the best bet to preserve the Hoklo dialects of Fujian province as they're decreasing in Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World