Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Sydney most like?
NYC 20 11.43%
San Francisco 61 34.86%
LA 41 23.43%
Other 53 30.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 02:19 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strasse66 View Post
Then you're being deliberately obtuse and determined.

It's a way for you to handicap America and larger countries than yours in various comparisons.

Population is the biggest factor, but proportional to each respective country's population, if you're making a comparison. There's also complications with how city-proper, metropolitan and CSA's between countries are measured.

The 6th largest city in a large country does not necessarily make an appropriate comparison to the 1st or 2nd largest city in a smaller one.
No, the point makes perfect sense.

Reykjavik won't have a 200-station metro system simply because it is the capital and largest city of Iceland.

Chongqing will, even it's relatively unknown outside China and maybe only the Xth biggest city in the country. But it has millions of people.

Being the capital and/or largest city may add some oomph to a city's transit city, but it only goes so far.

Population is the main determinant by a longshot.

Building impressive infrastructure for prestige reasons as opposed to actual need is so very... Pyongyang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 02:29 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Building impressive infrastructure for prestige reasons as opposed to actual need is so very... Pyongyang.
Uh, it kind of is very American, too...Cities all across the Sunbelt pour billions into light rail that is chronically underutilized.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:34 AM

Quote:
For violent crime, San Francisco proper certainly is not NEAR the worst in the US, certainly not for it's size.
That's why I said PROPERTY crime was awful on SF. In terms of violent crime, SF is just average for a city of its size.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:39 AM

Quote:
This is just utterly, utterly, utterly inaccurate, particularly in regards to your insistence that California in any way has "the densest suburbs in the US". Girl, what?
I guess you know more about Australia. I humbly admit that I have never been to Australia. But I was born and raised in California.

As for California having dense suburbs, take a look at this article:

https://www.newgeography.com/content...d-urbanization

Old 10-19-2020, 01:10 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
America has tons of cities that are as or more vibrant than Sydney or Toronto. That's pretty a pretty deluded thing to say. America isn't the second most visited country on earth because it's cities are "dead".

And you're quite deluded. DC is far better than Sydney at public transit.
I think it'd depend on what you mean by vibrant or by "tons". Yea, metric tons of city sure. From what I can tell, I think there's probably a half dozen US cities that are arguably as vibrant or more so than Sydney or Toronto. They'd be the usual NYC (much more so), and then more similarly Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, SF, and maybe DC and LA depending on how you weight things.

I think Sydney's mass transit system might be hard for some people to understand a proper comparison to coming from the US. DC's Metro system is generally listed as a heavy rail rapid transit system and so is Sydney's recent Sydney Metro which is much smaller and just a single line. On the face of it, it would seem DC has a much larger system. However, the Sydney commuter rail system, Sydney Trains, operates somewhat similarly to DC's Metro rapid transit system rather than DC's two commuter rail systems (MARC and VRE) in that the frequencies of individual lines especially outside of peak hours is much higher than the DC commuter rail system and has extensive interlining where different train services often serve the same stops and tracks once closer to the urban core where it acts much more like a rapid transit system which is how DC's Metro also operates. Additionally, Sydney Trains through-runs in the urban core either through dedicated tunnels or the loop. That's why with a similar metro population, Sydney Trains has a ridership of 377 million a year (2018-2019, one year span) versus MARC at 9 million (2019) and VRE at 4.5 million (2019) and even greater than DC Metro's 237 million (2019). Sydney Trains's ridership is actually about 50% greater than all of those systems's riderships combined. Meanwhile, Sydney's light rail lines are much more extensive and heavily used than the DC streetcar. Sydney also has a pretty cute ferry service system, but that's not really something to ding DC on since Sydney has quite a large body of water it fronts.

Having been to both and having used mass transit of various modes aside from solely trains/subways in both, I have a hard time understanding how public transit in DC is actually far better than that in Sydney. DC's transit system is pretty good though and it'd be great for it to improve to be far better than Sydney's. I think another crossing of the Potomac so there aren't three metro services interlining, a circumferential route (which is sort of being built), and through-running joint MARC/VRE services with higher service frequencies especially for off-peak would all be fantastic.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-19-2020 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-19-2020, 03:58 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Quote:
America has tons of cities that are as or more vibrant than Sydney or Toronto. That's pretty a pretty deluded thing to say. America isn't the second most visited country on earth because it's cities are "dead".

And you're quite deluded. DC is far better than Sydney at public transit.
I suspect you are back, renamed as strasse66. That’s fine but keep in mind the OP asked which city Sydney is comparable to, not which is better.

A general comment on gay vote, in our system defacto and same sex couples have long had mostly the same rights as legally married couples. So perhaps the push for gay marriage did not have the same urgency. Yes, western Sydney had a lot of no votes, it is home to many of our migrants from Asia and the Middle East, who have and are entitled to have a different opinion on many social issues. They also have quite a different attitude to drinking than traditional Aussies. More like the Italian attitude, fine to drink but not to excess.

I have travelled very extensively in North America and I would think the most comparable city is Vancouver. But if course, not climate wise.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

I have travelled very extensively in North America and I would think the most comparable city is Vancouver. But if course, not climate wise.
Interesting. Why Vancouver and not Seattle, LA, or SF? It would seem like Sydney is more prominent and corporate than Vancouver, whose economy is propped up largely by tourism and real estate investment.

Climate wise, Sydney is hard to compare with US locations. It does get a good amount of summer rain (while California is basically rainless during the summer) but it's mostly a dry heat, so in terms of summer dew points it's more comparable to SoCal than the Southeastern US. The microclimates of Sydney also seem to be very varied in a way that you find in California but not the Southeastern US.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:07 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Sydney has the cleanliness and governing of Vancouver. Has the vibes of LA/SF... idk tho

Maybe a hybrd of Vancouver, San Diego and San Francisco?

Old 10-16-2021, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 659 times
People keep comparing size which is ridiculous. The U.S.A. has a 300 year head start. Brisbane IS a mini L.A. geographically and in terms of infrastructure. That is no accident. The Lord Mayor of Brisbane in the 60s (who finally got our toilets inside) went to the U.S. on a fact finding mission to plan our roads. He spent 3 days in New York, 2 days in Chicago and 2 weeks in Los Angeles. Hence we have the same system of highways and byways as well as palm trees everywhere. We have a mountain range that traps smog exactly like LA. In fact, if you turn Qld upside down, South East Queensland is California, the rest is Texas. We have Hollywood on the Gold Coast and therefore Bris Angeles. Welcome to the Badlands������

Old 10-18-2021, 12:17 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYMEY View Post
People keep comparing size which is ridiculous. The U.S.A. has a 300 year head start. Brisbane IS a mini L.A. geographically and in terms of infrastructure. That is no accident. The Lord Mayor of Brisbane in the 60s (who finally got our toilets inside) went to the U.S. on a fact finding mission to plan our roads. He spent 3 days in New York, 2 days in Chicago and 2 weeks in Los Angeles. Hence we have the same system of highways and byways as well as palm trees everywhere. We have a mountain range that traps smog exactly like LA. In fact, if you turn Qld upside down, South East Queensland is California, the rest is Texas. We have Hollywood on the Gold Coast and therefore Bris Angeles. Welcome to the Badlands������
lol, this seems so desperate. like u want so bad for brisbane to be like LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World