Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 PM

21 posts, read 24,855 times

Advertisements

Which countries have made you feel welcome and treated you well? Japan, South Korea, Hongkong, Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Romania
Which countries have treated you poorly? Italy, France and Greece.

I went to Zurich and Geneva in Switzerland and people are pretty friendly over there.
French, well, they understand what I'm saying and still response in French. same goes to Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,368,709 times
most welcome = portugal , spain , england , new zealand , thailand

least welcome = hungary

Old 04-04-2015, 08:43 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,187,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
I have met quite a few French people and plenty of them have had racist and hateful things to say about Arabs and Asians. Going by personal experience on that.

Coupled in with online discussions and having talked to some Arabs that have lived there, I can say it is a statement that many who know about the situation can agree on.
Whatever.

I'm half Middle Eastern, and I had no problems there. But yes, I made the effort to speak their language.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:58 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,187,467 times
But I will say, the country where I felt most unwelcome is probably Japan. Weird dichotomy. On one hand, people came up to me telling me that I was beautiful, on the other hand, I was laughed at several occasions when trying to speak Japanese. :/

In every other country I've been to, and that's a lot of them, nobody has ever made me feel embarrassed for not speaking the language perfectly.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:42 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,830,809 times
1. What is your nationality?

Italian

2. What is your ethnicity/heritage?

Italian

3. Which countries have made you feel welcome and treated you well?

Spain, France and most places in my country

4. Which countries have treated you poorly?

I'm quite young and haven't had many chances to travel abroad, i've spent 5 days in Barcelona with my family four years ago and a weekend in Lyon two years ago.
The only place i had a bad experience in was here in my own country. It was in Calabria at the seaside, most of our stay we were made to feel welcome in every possible way but on the last day we were treated poorly, it was at a lido in Sellia Marina, a seaside place along the Ionian Coast.
Another place where i was disappointed was Trieste, we were asking directions but almost no one stopped, they were all in a hurry, it may have had to do with the weather though, it's a thing i didn't even experience in a city like Milan where most people took the time to stop and help us out.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:07 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,365,939 times
1. American 2. White

3. Syria, Iran, Colombia, Ghana, Sudan, France, Myanmar, Paraguay, India, Laos -- all treated me exceptionally well. Also China, but I've heard that in the past 20 years, there has been a complete turnabout, and foreigners there are now treated very badly. In Islamic countries in general, both the people and the government officials go out of their way to treat foreign visitors well.

4. Treated poorly in Vietnam, Thailand, Argentina, Egypt.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:14 PM

18,674 posts, read 18,968,413 times
1. What is your nationality? British
2. What is your ethnicity/heritage? mix of Irish Scottish and Spanish
3. Which countries have made you feel welcome and treated you well?Greece , the US and Ireland
4. Which countries have treated you poorly? Turkey.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:56 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,543,658 times
Brazilian

Portuguese, italian and brazilian indigenous

Austria, Germany, France

None

Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,543,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I am curious about Switzerland being more negative toward travelers. Is there any difference between the different regions of Switzerland, that is: are the French, German and Italian Swiss pretty much the same in their attitudes toward outsiders?
Visited Switzerland once, didn't have any problems with them. I noticed that they don't like to speak English. I talked in German with them (Hochdeutsch, not the swiss-german), and because of this they appeared to be welcoming. However, I noticed that they love talking about money all the time, and have a lot of fear of illegal inmigrants. Two taxi drivers asked me if brazilians need visa for visiting Switzerland.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM

213 posts, read 299,792 times
Brazilian
German-Polish (70%), Italian (Italian Grandma part of father 25%), Portuguese (5%)
Uruguay, Argentina
None

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World