Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 04:13 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,920,456 times

Advertisements

The country I've been to that showed the strongest combination of good service for travelers and genuine amiability is Vietnam. I've been other places that had nice amenities and other places that were friendly, but Vietnam had both. Really underrated destination, IMO. I was there for work, which I'm sure helped, but I'd happily go back for vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 11:12 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,067,674 times
For people from eastern europe any country where the vast majority of the population are non-whites will be very hospitable, even more so when they discover that you aren't really from the west (former colonizing countries...).

The worst will be Greece and western europe though Greece seems to get along well with russia or romania.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:20 PM

358 posts, read 415,932 times
Pakistan. Locals will refuse to take your money even if you try to pay for something and invite you over to their house to have tea and dinner.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:46 PM

1,153 posts, read 572,509 times
New Zealand the best. Thailand the worst.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:06 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,342,110 times
Turkey is the best, followed by New Zealand. Egypt is the worst.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:39 AM

587 posts, read 429,788 times
Asian-American (gay) male

Treated best: Texas & Southern States & Midwestern States (very friendly & good manners).. London (surprisingly polite for a big city), Amsterdam (people more cheerful than other Europeans) ..Thailand & Japan (no explanation needed)

Neutral: Rest of the USA (hit or miss depending on variables)...Canada (helpful but reserved)...Germany (quite stand-offish but not exactly rude either)....Malaysia/ Singapore (bad slow sloppy service but not quite rude either)..Spain...Mexico

Worst (rude encounters with strangers multiple times): France (rudest people by far!!! in agreement with OP), Greece & Italy (rough edged), Australia (Aussies can be pretty abrasive & kinda racist imo), Hong Kong (brusque)...Florida (the rudest in the USA by far- will avoid that state like the plague!)...Morocco (abrasive and sneaky encounters)

Old 08-11-2019, 07:38 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,770,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Can't really place the other countries i've visited (Colombia, England, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria), very mixed feelings, would have to put them between 3. and 4.
You can only Technically say you've been to Colombia because a passing day in tourist trap Cartagena looking for blow and prozies isn't exactly experiencing Colombia because:

1. You're in prime tourist trap territory.
2. Cartagena is only Colombia's 5th city.
3. Being Caribbean, the city is not representative of dominant Colombian culture.
4. You looked for the dodgy side even if it was just the superficial underbelly on a stop over.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:59 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,770,010 times
1. What is your nationality?
British

2. What is your ethnicity/heritage?
Hispanic

3. Which countries have (made you feel welcome and) treated you well?
-Greece: They love Colombians for some reason.
UAE:Same as above.
-Italy: Same as above but not so bothered, do like their eccentric energy though.
-USA: Back in mid 2000's being a young, strapping hispanic guy with a "British" accent I got a lot of positive reaction (and tail ). Who knows nowadays.
-All LatAm countries Ive been to, I find most like Colombian culture and being slap bang in the middle of LatAm has a bit of every Country so some sort of affinity in culture, music, sport, etc is easily found/admired.

4. Which countries have treated you poorly?
Brusels: Not treated me poorly per se but the place is a tip, lot of riff-raff and on 5th trip to country this year got racially profiled flying back from Aruba. Apart from that everywhere else has been pleasant.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 4,951 times
I wouldn't say there is the most friendly place on the planet for travelers or it all depends only on specific territory. However, I felt I'd been well-treated in Greece mostly. The region has nice people.

You know, talking about residence permit, Greece is also definitely favourable country to obtain Greek golden visa https://tranio.com/greece/residence/ There're no residence restrictions. You can live outside Greece. I already have a citizenship application in process

Last edited by Blackmoon; 08-15-2019 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 04:43 PM

17,914 posts, read 24,512,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

-USA: Back in mid 2000's being a young, strapping hispanic guy with a "British" accent I got a lot of positive reaction (and tail ). Who knows nowadays.
99.999% the same despite what media might tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World