Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 09:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 16,004,911 times

Advertisements

1. What is your nationality?

Canadian

2. What is your ethnicity/heritage?

Scottish/Irish

3. Which countries have made you feel welcome and treated you well?

Typically S.E Asian nations. Of those i'd have to give the nod to Indonesia. In Yogyakarta I literally had locals on the street thanking me for visiting. Lots of smiles too. Good people and good vibes there but yeah, typically all throughout S.E so Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore, I've had really fond memories of based on how the locals made me feel. In Europe i'd have to say the Azores of Portugal. Very friendly locals and just a beautiful part of the world. I think being far from the mainland they weren't tinged by the snobbishness - Sri Lanka was awesome too. Beautiful country and not so overrun with tourists and locals generally very friendly and welcoming and curious. It is really too bad about the recent acts of terrorism - it really is a gem of a nation.

4. Which countries have treated you poorly?

So one S.E Asian nation and I was surprised but Vietnam. I just felt the locals generally treated me like a fountain of money wanting to extort as much from me as possible. This permeated through so many levels and so many exchanges. You get that in a lot of developing countries as the 'rich' westerner, but in S.E it was by far most prevalent in Vietnam for me. Egypt was similar in this manner with the never ending expectation of baksheesh for practically anything. I was expecting it from Egypt though, not Vietnam. Morocco also gives me a bit of bad taste in my mouth based on experiences there. Just a feeling that even though your tourist dollars are welcomed - you are truly not.

These are of course, generalized feelings. Every country has its good and bad people and that goes for every country I've visited.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-15-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 10:25 PM

525 posts, read 456,913 times
The only place I’ve ever really felt like I’ve been treated poorly was actually at my (American) college (although there were some wonderful people there too). Other than that, people have treated me quite well everywhere I’ve been, both in and outside the country!

Having said that, I think I vibe best with Canadians because I tend to be shy and introverted, and Canadians tend to be reserved enough to leave me alone when I need space, polite and gentle enough for me to not feel intimidated by them, and helpful enough to help me when I need it.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 4,949 times
I wouldn't say there is the most friendly place on the planet for travelers or it all depends only on specific territory. However, I felt I'd been well-treated in Greece mostly. The region has nice people.

You know, talking about residence permit, Greece is also definitely favourable country to obtain Greek golden visa .There're no residence restrictions. You can live outside Greece. I already have a citizenship application in process

Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 AM

330 posts, read 298,620 times
American
Haven been to Canada(Vancouver BC, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec), Japan, Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea and Singapore. I have been treated well in all of these places. But I love the friendliness of the Canadians the best. Many of the Canadians I have met are not only friendly but also down-to-earth.
None

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 09-06-2019 at 09:48 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 10:19 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,800,718 times
Nationality: Canadian

Ethnicity: Irish and Polish

Countries that I have been to that treated me well: Brazil. People very friendly and always wanting to make sure I was having a good time and was safe. The UK was also great too once they found out I was Canadian. They seem to really like Canadians over there.

Countries that I have been to that treated me poorly: None in a very bad way but Switzerland and Australia stood out as countries with poor service to me and some of the locals were a bit standoffish.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:06 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,582,211 times
Canadian.

Best treatment; Netherlands first, all parts of UK ( yes, Ireland as well) and Germany second, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, and some other caribean islands a close third.

Worst treatment; France, Iceland, Mexico, Dominican and Jamaica which, quite a few years in the past, was the worst of the lot.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:57 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,484,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
[b]

So one S.E Asian nation and I was surprised but Vietnam. I just felt the locals generally treated me like a fountain of money wanting to extort as much from me as possible. This permeated through so many levels and so many exchanges.
Why did that surprise you? I have never been to Vietnam but there are hundreds of thousands of them here in Canada, they treat people like that here.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:44 PM

10,523 posts, read 7,146,364 times
1. US

2. Caucasian

3. I've traveled to Europe, Africa, Asia and the Caribbean and really have been treated politely in all those countries. I've found that learning a few words of the local language and understanding local manners goes a long way towards kind and respectful treatment. That being said, I have to call out New Zealand, Canada, and the Netherlands as above and beyond in terms of hospitality. Mind you, some places are more straightforward than others, but humility and a simple knowledge of the culture helps a great deal when it comes to connecting with people.

4. The only place I have been treated poorly in all my travels? US Customs. It's almost uniformly curt and even rude, regardless of your entry point (I'll make a shining exception for the Rainbow International Bridge at Niagara Falls).

Once I was on a business trip to Michigan with a couple of colleagues. One of my colleagues had never left the country. She had a passport, but her previous two attempts to travel abroad had been cancelled for reasons beyond her control. So we all took our passports and decided to eat lunch in Sarnia.

We cross the Canadian border, exchange wisecracks with their border agent (He thought my other colleague looked like Stiffler from American Pie), and found a place to eat. Coming back over the border, we were subjected to a one-hour interrogation by a not-very-nice customs agent who couldn't fathom that we would go over to Canada to eat a meal. They searched our rental car and searched our bags. Nothing. Looked us up. Again, clean as a whistle. It was if they were itching for a reason to give us problems.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,702,373 times

Canadian

2. What is your ethnicity/heritage?

French/Irish

USA, UK, France, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Greece, Italy, Spain, Mexico

Switzerland. To be fair, I was doing day trips from Lyon, and the other experiences, I was travelling through Switzerland. The custom agents that came onto the train, were rude and arrogant. People in shops and restaurants were cold.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 PM

417 posts, read 448,527 times
1. American

2. American (Italian descent)

3. Most countries I have been to made me feel welcome. The ones that treated me the best are:
Sri Lanka, Thailand, Ecuador, Philippines.

4. I wouldn't say poorly, but lets say the least friendly and welcoming:
Morocco and, to a lesser extent, Qatar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World