Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 12:55 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

1) American

2) Black or "African American"

3) I've been treated well in the UK, Australia, and pretty much every country that I've traveled to.

4) I was mistreated in Turkey and had some incidents in India that didn't make me feel too welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 01:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
The worst unfortunately was the USA, but also some very good experiences. Overall, I find going through US security and customs at airports unpleasant. It's the only country where I hear staff yelling at the passengers.

Next I would say Switzerland. Years ago while on a train heading to Paris, there was a stop in Switzerland. Customs came aboard, took our passports, called into some office and grilled us on our plans. Rude and really arrogant.

The only other odd event was at Schiphol airport, the customs guy started to pick at my passport. He was trying to see if the coating would come off. I had to say, please stop, you may ruin it. Weird.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:18 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Old thread and for all I know I already answered it a long time ago, but here goes:

1. I am American.
2. I am the whitest person I've ever met.
3. I loved living in Germany and Japan. I always felt welcomed there. Same with the UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, really most of Europe. I mean, Germans are brusque but I always got along well with them. I also really loved the Czech Republic and Slovakia - the people tend to be more reserved but very helpful and they seem kind. They also seem to really like Americans.
4. I HATED Austria. I've been numerous times (but I won't go again) and without exception, every single time I've gone, I've been treated very rudely. Not just a little rudely, but VERY rudely. This has surprised me every single time because I simply am not used to it - it always caught me off guard. France and Luxembourg are both OK but sort of neutral in my opinion - people don't seem particularly friendly there but shrug - so what. Just don't be RUDE to me.

Ironically, I did occasionally run into rudeness from Germans, even though I loved living there. For some reason, it always struck me as funny. They're just so blunt! LOL I get a kick out of that. Going back for a visit in a few months and I'm sure I'll have some more odd experiences that make me laugh.

I absolutely love the people of the UK in general. I can't recall a single negative experience with them. Now - my husband worked in Scotland for six months and while he really enjoyed his interactions with the people there, he always remarks about how much they drank and what rowdy drunks they were. Sort of alarming - and he is no prude himself.
If you want lots of talk from a random stranger, I can see how Austria might not be the place. Comfortably stuffy. Although, I believe they are just busy and exceptionally quite fair. Their own introversion is having strengths advantages. Austria is best at economics. Vienna is at number one in quality of life according to some statistics or forms of experience. Not too small compared to Switzerland, and tons of mountains.

I never had any negative encounters with the Austrians. Without any judging on my part because I didn't get deep with them. Just visiting, and fast exchange. I like Austria pretty well.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I'm kinda shocked you've had good experience with customer service namely in Varna or Sunny Beach, both may rank as the least friendly in the whole of europe may give Italian customer service a run for the money...but not saying you're lying of course there are several places where the staff doesn't act like total douchebags.

Btw - if Dobromir is around the Dobruja area this makes sense since this area has been a subject of debate for centuries if it's Bulgarian or Romania...yet with the political importance of Makedonia and Thrace or Moldova for Romania people forget this end of land exists, it's not a bad place though.
Are you living in Bulgaria? In what city, town, or village?

I didn't have a solid experience with people in Italy. Although, that isn't getting in the way too much of staying a fan. Never any crime or violence. So I just ignored who got on my nerves in Italy. Austria to Italy is not the same. Neutral randomness to occasionally bitter attitudes.

Bulgarian Black Sea resorts are some of the most friendly in entire Europe adventures of my own. I actually cared for once what random members of society are expressing in daily occurrence when they are not in my Facebook friends circle. Only good things to say.

Yeah, there is peaceful history in multinational Dobrogea. Going between Romania to Bulgaria is endlessly exciting. Including next to the Black Sea. Some of the best changes in scenery around on EU border land crossings. Car or bus.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:53 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Best

Ireland
Norway

Worst

Spain

Mixed

USA

Old 02-12-2020, 07:46 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Are you living in Bulgaria? In what city, town, or village?

I didn't have a solid experience with people in Italy. Although, that isn't getting in the way too much of staying a fan. Never any crime or violence. So I just ignored who got on my nerves in Italy. Austria to Italy is not the same. Neutral randomness to occasionally bitter attitudes.

Bulgarian Black Sea resorts are some of the most friendly in entire Europe adventures of my own. I actually cared for once what random members of society are expressing in daily occurrence when they are not in my Facebook friends circle. Only good things to say.

Yeah, there is peaceful history in multinational Dobrogea. Going between Romania to Bulgaria is endlessly exciting. Including next to the Black Sea. Some of the best changes in scenery around on EU border land crossings. Car or bus.

Yes, born in the capital (sofia) but this is my 3rd year on the coast in a place called 'Vlas' (it can be seen as continuation of the well known among european teenagers "sunny beach").

Actually I think the Romanian coast and overall Romania will experience a huge spike in the upcoming decades be it economically, tourism-wise or in any way while Bulgaria (the coast i mean) will experience decline and only the most southern villages close to the Turkish border will have development. So staying on topic: I'd say this is why these days people are more grumpy around the coastline since it's not what it used to be decade ago and this decline and increase of poverty likely affects the customer service.

But like I said currently anonymous villages close to Turkey such as: Tsarevo or Ahtopol may be the future: with global temperatures rising in 1-2 decreases and currently these villages having 5 celcius in the coldest month will have soon temperatures just like Greece or Italy now...it may be good place if someone wants to buy property and wait 20-30 years longterm.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
If you want lots of talk from a random stranger, I can see how Austria might not be the place. Comfortably stuffy. Although, I believe they are just busy and exceptionally quite fair. Their own introversion is having strengths advantages. Austria is best at economics. Vienna is at number one in quality of life according to some statistics or forms of experience. Not too small compared to Switzerland, and tons of mountains.

I never had any negative encounters with the Austrians. Without any judging on my part because I didn't get deep with them. Just visiting, and fast exchange. I like Austria pretty well.
I'm glad you had good experiences in Austria. I enjoyed the sights but not my interactions with the people themselves.

i wasn't wanting lots of talk from random strangers though. I just don't want people to go out of their way to be rude to me, which is what has happened to me several times in Austria, over several years and trips. So it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's OK - I saw what I wanted to see and now I will not go back. And I doubt that anyone there will miss me so everyone wins!

Old 03-03-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Yes, born in the capital (sofia) but this is my 3rd year on the coast in a place called 'Vlas' (it can be seen as continuation of the well known among european teenagers "sunny beach").

Actually I think the Romanian coast and overall Romania will experience a huge spike in the upcoming decades be it economically, tourism-wise or in any way while Bulgaria (the coast i mean) will experience decline and only the most southern villages close to the Turkish border will have development. So staying on topic: I'd say this is why these days people are more grumpy around the coastline since it's not what it used to be decade ago and this decline and increase of poverty likely affects the customer service.

But like I said currently anonymous villages close to Turkey such as: Tsarevo or Ahtopol may be the future: with global temperatures rising in 1-2 decreases and currently these villages having 5 celcius in the coldest month will have soon temperatures just like Greece or Italy now...it may be good place if someone wants to buy property and wait 20-30 years longterm.
I just can't believe that Slanchev Bryag Слънчев бряг is only around 3 to 4 hours away from Constanta Romania in solid car ride! Feels like going from Italy To Russia
on crossing the borders. Always extremely exciting. Slavic Bulgarian name in Cyrillic writing system is extremely foreign to the English name of Sunny Beach.

Sveti Vlas is a nice town of residence. Reminds me of Balchik. Are you going into Slanchev Bryag very often? Bus ride less than 20 minutes.

Very deep Balkans energy. Even corresponding to some Greece touristy towns.

I actually prefer the Slavic name not the English one for the Bulgarian major town of Slanchev Bryag rather than Sunny Beach. Unique name. That's why.

My own three favorite Bulgarian letters are Джф. I don't even know what they stand for. Very exotic.

I stayed in Hotel Imperial, and Victoria Palace. Nice and affordable hotels in 2018. I hope the prices of hotels rooms have not tripled. From 2018
to 2019.

There is potential in those villages that are within reach of Turkey, even Istanbul. I bet they are already good currently.

Ethnic Bulgarians are some of the friendliest I have encountered. I have to visit Burgas, Ruse(Less than 2 hours away from Bucharest Romania!), and Sofia.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm glad you had good experiences in Austria. I enjoyed the sights but not my interactions with the people themselves.

i wasn't wanting lots of talk from random strangers though. I just don't want people to go out of their way to be rude to me, which is what has happened to me several times in Austria, over several years and trips. So it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's OK - I saw what I wanted to see and now I will not go back. And I doubt that anyone there will miss me so everyone wins!
Not positive or negative in accordance around natives. Middle ground neutral.
Absolutely everyone is just appearing very busy.
In economics, Austria could be number one in Europe for high annual salaries, low cost of living, and not too small.

Outside of social interactions: I rank Austria quite well.
Just satisfactory enough to a solid moderate, even if a bit overrated to the highest.

Maybe not too late to reenter Austria.
Entire situation could change. Good luck!
Might have to talk even further with the natives for another second major opportunity.

Linz, Graz, Klagenfurt, Bregenz, Villach, Melk Abbey, Salzburg
Up To 9 Of Them Together With Vienna, Innsbruck
I am sure there are tons of other worthwhile unknown towns to foreigners in Österreich.

Last edited by ; 03-03-2020 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World