Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2013, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,980 posts, read 9,005,863 times
Reputation: 4728

Advertisements

1. American (half Asian/half white)

2. same

3. Scotland, Ireland, France, Spain, England, US

4. Was treated the most poorly in the US-- New York City, specifically. Not many bad experiences abroad with the exception of a few unfriendly characters here and there. I haven't encountered the rudeness that so many people seem to experience in France. I've been to France three times, in several different regions including Paris and spent a good three months there in total. I guess I've been very lucky or they just like me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2013, 11:38 AM
 
133 posts, read 250,566 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
1. American (half Asian/half white)

2. same

3. Scotland, Ireland, France, Spain, England, US

4. Was treated the most poorly in the US-- New York City, specifically. Not many bad experiences abroad with the exception of a few unfriendly characters here and there. I haven't encountered the rudeness that so many people seem to experience in France. I've been to France three times, in several different regions including Paris and spent a good three months there in total. I guess I've been very lucky or they just like me
It's because generally French are kinder towards women, had you been a male who was half asian and half white then you would have had a different and worse experience.

French men aggressively chase after women who aren't French but will throw fits if any foreigner gets near their women, not like I care either ways but just a heads up to anyone in here who wants to go after French girls, I prefer Scandinavian and Eastern European girls!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,980 posts, read 9,005,863 times
Reputation: 4728
I was traveling with my husband (who is Irish). He's not encountered any problems either. I just don't understand anyone that could ONLY encounter rude people in France. Negative vibes generally attract negative vibes. We're generally positive people and try to speak the language as best as we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 12:42 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,566 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I was traveling with my husband (who is Irish). He's not encountered any problems either. I just don't understand anyone that could ONLY encounter rude people in France. Negative vibes generally attract negative vibes. We're generally positive people and try to speak the language as best as we can.
I haven't had bad experiences with any nationalities other than the French and generally they aren't known for being the kind of people that treat people with hospitality and dignity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 05:36 PM
 
Location: The Ranch in Olam Haba
23,707 posts, read 30,839,651 times
Reputation: 9985
Since I'm an American who works internationally and visits numerous countries, France followed by the US would be listed as poorly. I list the US due to bigotry in the service industry I've hit. FWIW I speak fluently around 12 languages plus multiple dialects of each. For example, I was in Miami a few months ago and the service was so-so when I spoke in English. When I made a comment to the waiter in Spanish all of a sudden the service became very good. In France it goes down to the personal level where I can't count the amount of times I nearly got run over by the cyclists with the Baguettes under their arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 06:28 PM
 
1,327 posts, read 2,612,621 times
Reputation: 1565
Honestly, I doubt that Pruzhany has ever been in France and that ScriptedWords has ever meet any French people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 07:04 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,566 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Honestly, I doubt that Pruzhany has ever been in France and that ScriptedWords has ever meet any French people.
neither have the thousands of others out there who say French people are rude

I have been to France, stayed there, and met many French people, not the kindest people on the planet and the last country in Europe I would ever want to go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 07:16 PM
 
Location: The Ranch in Olam Haba
23,707 posts, read 30,839,651 times
Reputation: 9985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Honestly, I doubt that Pruzhany has ever been in France and that ScriptedWords has ever meet any French people.
Yet I can admit that fellow American cities have issues and yet you wear rose colored glasses in relation to the French. The Baguette cycle riders in Paris are as bad as the messenger cyclists in NYC.






Last edited by Pruzhany; 07-27-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 08:41 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,129,123 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yet I can admit that fellow American cities have issues and yet you wear rose colored glasses in relation to the French. The Baguette cycle riders in Paris are as bad as the messenger cyclists in NYC.




Yeah you'd think those french baguette bikers would learn to look out for tourists since they get close to 100 millions of them year after year in a country the size of a US state.

But then I lost count of how many times Dutch folks have crushed my toes with them clumsy wooden shoes or how much pushing and shoving I have been subjected to by those Scottish kilt-wearing bagpipers.

It is dangerous world out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,566 times
Reputation: 37
I used to know a Chinese kid who told me it is very tough to fit in with the students in France as opposed to the US, like here in the US he has such an easy time making friends while in France he said he was ignored and people looked at him like crazy for trying to speak to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top