Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM
 
168 posts, read 314,466 times
Reputation: 143

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
Isn't just me, I just thought the French were rude towards people who looked different (Asians, Arabs, etc.) but man they are some of the most bigoted and hateful people in the world, would never want to live there in my life or stay there. Even the ones in the US are rude towards everyone.
If you don't speak excellent French or dare to say that France isn't the best at something, they almost put you in the guillotine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2013, 01:17 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,092 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
If you don't speak excellent French or dare to say that France isn't the best at something, they almost put you in the guillotine.
True, or if you look different. I don't know what it is but out of all Europeans I have met, the French hate anyone that looks slightly Arabic. I used to have a Venezuelan friend that looked somewhat Middle Eastern and was even experimenting with some facial hair. He went there, spoke fluent French and everything, and was just ignored or treated like trash by people. I saw some of it first hand too, so sad.

Then he went to Sweden and said people there were somehow really nice to him. I don't recall meeting many Swedes who were bad people, a lot of them are kind and respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM
 
168 posts, read 314,466 times
Reputation: 143
The French will hate anyone that isn't French, so being Arabic or not is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 01:20 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,092 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
The French will hate anyone that isn't French, so being Arabic or not is irrelevant.
Eh I wouldn't say that, for some reason they tend to like other Europeans and even Australians and Canadians. Also, the French seem to have a huge love for African American culture and African American people. So I think their hatred is just focused towards Arabic and Asian people.

Of course even in this politically correct society it is perfectly okay to hate an Arabic or Asian person, sadly enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Reputation: 3986
Kinda ironic that everyone is trashing the French, but at the same time you all expect to be treated like kings when in France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,092 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Kinda ironic that everyone is trashing the French, but at the same time you all expect to be treated like kings when in France.
No one is really treated like a king these days unless they have a lot to offer, but at least with some decency would be a good start.

Plus the French are among the world's worst tourists

French tourists among world's worst: survey - The Local
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 02:51 PM
 
1,327 posts, read 2,606,474 times
Reputation: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
Isn't just me, I just thought the French were rude towards people who looked different (Asians, Arabs, etc.) but man they are some of the most bigoted and hateful people in the world, would never want to live there in my life or stay there. Even the ones in the US are rude towards everyone.
What does means looking different? I have the impression that you imagine France as an homogeonous country like Japan.
There are million of people of Arabic or Asian descent in France. It is not like the country was all white and even the white french come from different background. France is one of most racially diverse european country.
I will not say that there is no racism in France, there are but most people don't care of your skin colors.
They care of your attitude or dress.

In Paris, the different is the White (or Asian or anything elese) tourist with camera, not the Asian dressed like an office workers (because he could be an office worker like thousands of others).
In Paris, the different is the guy walking slowly and asking its way to Eiffel tower, the similar is the guy who walks fast and ignores the traffic lights.

There is just one fact, Parisians don't really like tourists who are perceived as an obstacle on the way.
It doesn't matter what is your skin colors or your nationality or even the fact that you speak french or not.
Parisians are busy and hurried people (this busy working city, not disneyland). They have what we call the big city attitude.
There are very few city as big as Paris in Europe, so there are very few city with the similar attitude (only London but unlike Paris, you understand the language).

It is also true that the service in Paris is not the best, the customer is not really the king here.
Service people tend to treat people in the same way that you treat them.
If you are rude with a cashier, he will be rude with you.

The big generalisation of ScriptedWords (or whatever is his new pseudo) about an area where he never set a foot and people that he never met are very annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Edmonds, WA
8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Reputation: 14252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
short survey

1. What is your nationality?
2. What is your ethnicity/heritage?
3. Which countries have made you feel welcome and treated you well?
4. Which countries have treated you poorly?
1. American
2. Mostly French/French Canadian
3. Spain, Mexico, German-speaking Switzerland
4. Francophone Switzerland

I recall one experience in Neuchatel where I was buying a sandwich at a convenience store inside the train station and didn't know how to use the credit card machine because they are very different from those in the US. The cashier looked at me like I was crazy when I asked in English and tried to gesture for him to help me. He then told me, IN ENGLISH, that I needed to either pay or step out of the line. The people behind me were just glaring at me and refused to help when I asked. So I walked away without being able to purchase anything. The whole ordeal was extremely embarrassing.

I just found the whole thing very distasteful. That would never happen in the US. I get that I don't speak French but it's just about being a decent human being. It didn't help that I was totally starving as well. On another note, I absolutely loved the French-speaking area of Switzerland in terms of the cities and the natural beauty and the food.

People on the German-speaking side, however, were extremely polite, if not a bit reserved. However, I appreciated that as I am a fairly reserved person myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:44 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,092 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
What does means looking different? I have the impression that you imagine France as an homogeonous country like Japan.
There are million of people of Arabic or Asian descent in France. It is not like the country was all white and even the white french come from different background. France is one of most racially diverse european country.
I will not say that there is no racism in France, there are but most people don't care of your skin colors.
They care of your attitude or dress.

In Paris, the different is the White (or Asian or anything elese) tourist with camera, not the Asian dressed like an office workers (because he could be an office worker like thousands of others).
In Paris, the different is the guy walking slowly and asking its way to Eiffel tower, the similar is the guy who walks fast and ignores the traffic lights.

There is just one fact, Parisians don't really like tourists who are perceived as an obstacle on the way.
It doesn't matter what is your skin colors or your nationality or even the fact that you speak french or not.
Parisians are busy and hurried people (this busy working city, not disneyland). They have what we call the big city attitude.
There are very few city as big as Paris in Europe, so there are very few city with the similar attitude (only London but unlike Paris, you understand the language).

It is also true that the service in Paris is not the best, the customer is not really the king here.
Service people tend to treat people in the same way that you treat them.
If you are rude with a cashier, he will be rude with you.

The big generalisation of ScriptedWords (or whatever is his new pseudo) about an area where he never set a foot and people that he never met are very annoying.
I have met many French people and lived there before, just because I am not on here telling you how great France is and how everyone including sources and other posters are wrong does not mean I am some guy with no experience in the place.

Don't discredit another person's experience because it fails to match your reality.

It has been my experience that the French are not only the most rude and inconsiderate people in Europe but also the most bigoted and racist of all European groups. Sure there are a lot of Arabs and Asians there, and I know how a lot of those Arabs and Asians are treated by the local White population in France.

I post this because I don't want some Asian American to go to France and be shocked by the racist treatment he gets from the White French population. Just want to give him a heads up! Maybe tell him to go to Sweden or Denmark instead of France.

See, I find that it is important for people to know this. This is the stuff the fancy travel guides won't tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:49 PM
 
1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Reputation: 893
Treated best in Scotland. And this is before I really realized that my Scotch heritage runs thick and deep on my moms side the Lindsay clan & Coat of Arms traceable back to the days of Wallace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top