Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:49 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,920 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Treated best in Scotland. And this is before I really realized that my Scotch heritage runs thick and deep on my moms side the Lindsay clan & Coat of Arms traceable back to the days of Wallace.

with a name like Boner I am sure all those scottish women were going crazy for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:24 PM
 
1,327 posts, read 2,617,755 times
Reputation: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
I have met many French people and lived there before, just because I am not on here telling you how great France is and how everyone including sources and other posters are wrong does not mean I am some guy with no experience in the place.

Don't discredit another person's experience because it fails to match your reality.
I don't discredit you because you say that your experience was bad, I discredit you because most of the things you say seems weird for somebody who has lived in France.
It is not about racism or bad threatment (because this exists in France) but about the way you present it.

You have lived in France, prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
It has been my experience that the French are not only the most rude and inconsiderate people in Europe but also the most bigoted and racist of all European groups. Sure there are a lot of Arabs and Asians there, and I know how a lot of those Arabs and Asians are treated by the local White population in France.
Yet, it is the european country with most interracial couples, one of the european country with the most integrated minority population.
It is like calling the USA, the most racist country in the world.

To your information, I am not white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
I post this because I don't want some Asian American to go to France and be shocked by the racist treatment he gets from the White French population. Just want to give him a heads up! Maybe tell him to go to Sweden or Denmark instead of France.

See, I find that it is important for people to know this. This is the stuff the fancy travel guides won't tell you.
You know, there are more than 80 million of people who visit France (more than in any other country) every years, most without any problem.
Infact the tourists who seems to have the most problem with the bad treatment of the local population seems to be White.

I don't work for tourist industry and I don't care if people come or not.
Less tourist would ease my commute.
It would lower many prices and would close many tourist trap.
In my opinion this would also improve the economy of Paris. Many hotels would be replaced by office or residential buildings and there would be less building restriction.

And maybe the world would stop to think that Paris is a romantic resort park where all the inhabitants are white and are here to serve tourists.
You want racism, see the representation of Paris in the international medias. Why do we never see any non white Parisian people in CNN vox pop? Why do we never see any local minorities in Hollywood movies that take place in Paris?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:06 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,633 posts, read 23,963,405 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
short survey

1. What is your nationality?
2. What is your ethnicity/heritage?
3. Which countries have made you feel welcome and treated you well?
4. Which countries have treated you poorly?
1. Northern Irish.
2. White.
3. America and Spain.
4. Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:11 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,920 times
Reputation: 37
You are stuck on the idea of defending France as this progressive utopia when people on this thread have shared their experiences and said it isn't. I don't have to prove anything to anyone, I have stayed in France and traveled there, I know what I am talking about. On top of that I have had the chance to know a lot of French people as well. So you can discredit my experience all you want and see it as me making it up but it is what I have lived and what I will speak.

Yes, as I have said, France has a love for Black people. So most interracial couples are probably Black men with White women anyways, that doesn't mean anything. I am talking about Arabs and Asian people here, they are hated a lot in France, especially if they are Male.

I can bank a lot of money on the fact that a couple like this would receive a lot of rude stares and hostile treatment in France.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 PM
 
1,327 posts, read 2,617,755 times
Reputation: 1565
I have never said that France was a progressive utopia, I said that most of your talk about the racism in France seem weird for somebody who have lived in France.
It is not the fact that you say that there is racism in France (there are racism in France, I don't deny it at all) but the way how you talk of it.

There are plenty of Asian man/White woman couples in Paris. It is pretty common.
The couple in pictures would maybe be stared but because of the way there are dressed, not because of their races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:45 PM
 
168 posts, read 315,493 times
Reputation: 143
Unless it's for professional reasons, I'm certainly not ever setting foot again in France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 PM
 
133 posts, read 250,920 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Unless it's for professional reasons, I'm certainly not ever setting foot again in France.

Me neither, I cannot handle the bigotry that the French are full of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,877 times
Reputation: 14
1. What is your nationality? Black American

2. Which countries have (made you feel welcome and) treated you well? France,Germany,Namibia,Brazil.

3. Which countries have treated you poorly? Mexico,DRC,Guam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,646 posts, read 3,503,943 times
Reputation: 1163
1. What is your nationality? Spain
2. What is your ethnicity/heritage? White caucasian
3. Which countries have made you feel welcome and treated you well? Portugal, USA, Thailand and Germany.
4. Which countries have treated you poorly? Austria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM
 
17,715 posts, read 17,954,684 times
Reputation: 25889
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Kinda ironic that everyone is trashing the French, but at the same time you all expect to be treated like kings when in France.
Wrong, I never expected to be treated like "kings". I wasn't asking nor expecting anything I hadn't already received from the other countries I visited. When traveling across Europe, Language will always be an issue. Very few people in the world speak all the languages of Europe fluently. Considerate people will at least make an attempt at communication despite the language barrier. I met such considerate people in Spain, Italy, Malta, Greece, Ukraine, Bulgaria, and Israel. I treated the people I met with respect for them, their country, and their culture. I did this also in France. While the people I met in those countries at least made an attempt at communication and being relatively friendly, those I met in France were rude in that they would ignore you, look at you with disgust, and would not make any effort at communicating. A few people in one city I can write off because every city/country has some of these people. But at every place of business I walked into with cash in hand I was met with such attitudes. The employees and management didn't even attempt faking interest nor friendliness. Someone could offer me millions of dollars in exchange for me to go to France and I would turn it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top