Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,120,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
Not just Paris, it is just that the French IMO are pretty hateful towards anyone that is Arabic or Asian and I speak from lots of experience here. Whether it is Northern France or Southern France, the French in general are very xenophobic and racist people.

A survey or racism study I believe found France to be the most racist country in Western Europe.
But there is a big population of Muslims in France. How can they be hateful of them when there are really so many of them there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:54 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,708,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedWords View Post
short survey

1. What is your nationality?
2. What is your ethnicity/heritage?
3. Which countries have made you feel welcome and treated you well?
4. Which countries have treated you poorly?
1. Canadian
2. French Canadian/Irish
3. England, Scotland,The Netherlands,France,Italy,Greece,Germany,Austria,Sp ain,U.S.A.,Mexico
4. None

The idea that one or two bad encounters represents a whole country is ludicrous, especially if that so called bad encounter is just a cultural difference.
Is it fair that I as a Canadian would slam all of the U.S.A. as rude since in Canada when we say " thank-you " to a clerk or server they say " you're welcome " but in many parts of the U.S.A. the response is " uh-huh " ?
To many english speakers that " uh-huh " sounds dismissive, until you understand that it isn't and that's just the way many respond to " thank-you ". Cultural difference.

France seems to get a lot of flack here. I have been to France 12 times, with stays as long as 2 months.
Most of the complaints seem to be about language and Paris. Paris is like NYC. It's a busy place, overrun with tourists. The " hurry up " attitude is considered a quaint NYC attribute ( the NY minute ), but in Paris some here find it frustrating, It may be partly the tourist not understanding the nuances of what's going on. Not to say there are not rude people in Paris, but there are rude people everywhere.
Paris is not France, just like NYC is not the U.S.A. and Toronto is not Canada.

I have yet to travel to a country where the people haven't been helpful, interesting or kind.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,244,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im argentinian.

Nicest: definitively people from The Netherlands! I love them. Also, southern italians were super nice and welcoming, but Romans were super rude.
Rudest: the people in the Atlanta (USA) airport made me and my friend go through hell when we were 18. But people in Minneapolis were nice, and in general in other parts of USA were nice. Some French people was super rude, and others were very nice.

All in all, the nicest are the dutch.
Rudest? Atlanta airport people.
Seriously the people were so nice at the atlanta airport, i have no idea what your talking about, its southeren hospitality at its best!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:54 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,573,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Seriously the people were so nice at the atlanta airport

no

Old 08-16-2013, 04:17 PM

23,826 posts, read 24,391,451 times
Treated me the best: UK, Japan, Thailand, Singapore

Worst: China, France, USA (I am an American Citizen by birth, but when I entered the US from Canada at the Blaine Checkpoint in Washington State, the US Customs officer on duty was a complete jackas*.)

Old 08-17-2013, 03:41 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,909,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
But there is a big population of Muslims in France. How can they be hateful of them when there are really so many of them there ?
Having a big population of them is precisely the reason some are hateful. Shouldn't that be obvious? Many people don't want their country taken over by foreigners with foreign customs and habits (not saying racism is justified, just this is what they feel).

Old 08-17-2013, 01:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,708,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Having a big population of them is precisely the reason some are hateful. Shouldn't that be obvious? Many people don't want their country taken over by foreigners with foreign customs and habits (not saying racism is justified, just this is what they feel).
Racism is a nasty thing. However pushing back politically is justified. Friends in The Netherlands, have issues with people, be them Muslims or whomever, who move to a country and then complain about that country's values. Why would you move to The Netherlands, or Canada for that matter, if you don't support ( and if not support at least learn to live within your new chosen society ) gay rights and the rights of women? Not too mention getting upset that women can sunbathe topless on the beach?

Old 10-19-2014, 03:12 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,390,331 times
1. Filipino
2. Filipino (pure)
3. Romania, Thailand, Russia (Moscow and SPb)
4. Hong Kong

I travel because of work. So mostly, I am interacting with professional people. Should there be instances that I go for sightseeing in the local tourist areas, there will always be local people who will accompany me. The local will do the rest (ordering, asking for directions, money changing, driving, talking to receptionist, bargaining etc...) and I will just follow. Hence, I am safeguarded from being treated poorly.

The only thing I remember being treated poorly was when I check in at Hong Kong airport immigration, the immigration officer, after he stamped my passport, it was thrown back to me, no manners at all. Did anybody encountered that in Hongkong?

Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,373,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
The only thing I remember being treated poorly was when I check in at Hong Kong airport immigration, the immigration officer, after he stamped my passport, it was thrown back to me, no manners at all. Did anybody encountered that in Hongkong?
I thought that the immigration officers in Hong Kong were amongst the nicest I've ever seen. Especially when compared with their mainland equivalents...

Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 AM

125 posts, read 164,054 times
1. American
3. Best: Turkey, NZ, Costa Rica, Philippines
4. Worst: Australia, Ireland, UK, Croatia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World