Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Because you just said you dont.
Are you being serious right now? You really don't understand our language well do you? I apologize, me talking to you isn't fair and I don't know how nor have the patience to break everything down for you. Ill talk to the adults only from now on. Sorry guy.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Are you being serious right now? You really don't understand our language well do you? I apologize, me talking to you isn't fair and I don't know how nor have the patience to break everything down for you. Ill talk to the adults only from now on. Sorry guy.
Okay so adult english requires us to use hasty generalizations often.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:54 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You forgot this one, wnich is definitely worth a drink . . . "It's their own fault, for not taking responsibility for themselves"
You're right, that's a good one for the game

Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Another article to feed the topic USA lags behind others in paid vacation, holidays

Quarter of the workers don't have any paid leave, perfect

Companies (apparently 77%) do give employees paid leave, but 23% do not. That's a rather large percentage

Table 5. Average paid holidays and days of vacation and sick leave for full-time employees

From the bureau of labor. An average person gets a grand total of...eight vacation days. For twelve months. Eight free days in twelve months. And god forbid you have a blue collar job like most Americans, you'll have just 6.

And before anyone says "But if you bust your butt in college to get a good job, you will have a lot more vacation days!" You will. You'll have an astounding amount of...two more vacation days per year. Two.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM

331 posts, read 592,440 times
Also maternity leave, a lot of 1st world countries have paid maternity leave.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
These kids are jealous of our work ethic.

Continue your obsession kids, making us more proud with all this attention.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Another article to feed the topic USA lags behind others in paid vacation, holidays

Quarter of the workers don't have any paid leave, perfect

Companies (apparently 77%) do give employees paid leave, but 23% do not. That's a rather large percentage

Table 5. Average paid holidays and days of vacation and sick leave for full-time employees

From the bureau of labor. An average person gets a grand total of...eight vacation days. For twelve months. Eight free days in twelve months. And god forbid you have a blue collar job like most Americans, you'll have just 6.

And before anyone says "But if you bust your butt in college to get a good job, you will have a lot more vacation days!" You will. You'll have an astounding amount of...two more vacation days per year. Two.
You're not even guaranteed that these days. Many college kids have busted their buts and did exactly as everyone said they should only to work in retail jobs because the jobs they went broke getting schooling and training for simply aren't there.

Americans have so many health related issues most often blamed on diet despite the fact that many people in other developed countries eat lots of rich foods as well but have fewer health issues. I'm more willing to bet its the stress and lack or more adequate rest is more the leading cause. Admitting that however means admitting we have been doing it wrong and as you've seen, we've not yet matured as a nation to that level.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,130 times
Quote:
You're not even guaranteed that these days. Many college kids have busted their buts and did exactly as everyone said they should only to work in retail jobs because the jobs they went broke getting schooling and training for simply aren't there.
It is incumbent on students to choose a major which is in demand, and provides multiple avenues for employability. For those who insist on pursuing basket weaving, (fill in the blank minority) Studies, Art History, Archaeology, and the like... They can blame no one but themselves for their unemployability.

The two advisors I had during undergrad were horrible and ill suited to provide any realistic and practical guidance. I have heard that this is a commonplace in many universities. I did my own research to figure out what choices were most prudent.

Perhaps improvements can be made about how students are advised as part of Federal Financial Aid programs.

At the end of the day, however, only students can and should be held accountable for the life-decisions they make. They are, after all, adults.

With better accountability and planning, students are more inclined to find work, enter a career path, and earn leave among other benefits.

Anything else, like government mandated leave, just encourages and even rewards irresponsible decisions and behavior.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
It is incumbent on students to choose a major which is in demand, and provides multiple avenues for employability. For those who insist on pursuing basket weaving, (fill in the blank minority) Studies, Art History, Archaeology, and the like... They can blame no one but themselves for their unemployability.

The two advisors I had during undergrad were horrible and ill suited to provide any realistic and practical guidance. I have heard that this is a commonplace in many universities. I did my own research to figure out what choices were most prudent.

Perhaps improvements can be made about how students are advised as part of Federal Financial Aid programs.

At the end of the day, however, only students can and should be held accountable for the life-decisions they make. They are, after all, adults.

With better accountability and planning, students are more inclined to find work, enter a career path, and earn leave among other benefits.

Anything else, like government mandated leave, just encourages and even rewards irresponsible decisions and behavior.
Thank you for the intelligent response but I respectfully disagree on the grounds of accuracy. There are those with business degrees for example still looking for work. When you have more college grads than you do jobs available for them, you will have college grads without good jobs. I don't know how widespread this is but in the bay area there was a news story about how people with law degrees could not find jobs because their simply were a lot more graduates than positions.

As far as "encouraging laziness", that's a very weak argument. If people are lazy they're going to be regardless. This shouldn't stop us as a society from improving our work environment.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times
Got mine

Up yours

Quote:
You're talking to a wall once you start speaking in terms like "thinking of others needs". Once people get theirs, their true colors show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World