Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My country, the US, is #1 at telling everyone else it's #1.
lol no. 1 at boasting Ruth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
We have few castles, can't compare with most western countries.
Romania has some beautiful castles and palaces. The architecture in some cases is unique to Romania, and there's quite a bit of variety. Unlike the palaces in Russia, which get very monotonous very fast.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If you don't count Canada doing it first, that is.
oh, sorry, then number 2

or number 1 in Latin America

Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I would love to see the scientific evidence for that. Until then, I'm calling BS on your post as per usual.

I guess Scandinavian countries are awesome in the summer (hardly any medals) but turn into third-world countries once winter arrives (top of the medal table).
In the Summer Olympics gold medal all-time table, Sweden is 10th, Finland 14th. Finland has 101 gold medals, while for example Spain has 37. In the Winter Olympics, East Germany has two gold medals less than Finland, Italy 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Though it makes the agriculture one even more impressive. Yes a lot of these exports are high value agricultural products, much more valuable than, say, wheat, but that's still an achievement given the size of the country. The Dutch are #1 at using their land efficiently.
Yeah, I'll give them that. And the land area is growing all the time - peacefully!

Finland is #1 in wlan-connections! (106.5 connections per 100 people.)
According to a research made by Foreign Policy and Fund for Peace, Finland is the most stable society in the world. That is something to be proud of.
Hillary Clinton said that Finnish women are #1 in the world, but that is only her opinion. But I agree!
Finland was the first nation in the world to elect a Miss Gay Finland.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
In the Summer Olympics gold medal all-time table, Sweden is 10th, Finland 14th. Finland has 101 gold medals, while for example Spain has 37. In the Winter Olympics, East Germany has two gold medals less than Finland, Italy 4...
Finland is not part of Scandinavia. I'm surprised Sweden and Finland are ranked so high though. I was going by my own recollection of the last three Summer Olympics and the Scandinavian countries didn't really stand out to me then. Spain is notoriously bad at the Olympics, which I guess is why Pardillo made that statement in the first place.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That's not an extinction, that's an extirpation. If I were to include those on the US list then the Thick-Billed Parrot, King Vulture, Zanaida Dove and one or two others would have to be included.
Yup, of course. Completely bypassed me.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:46 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The Dutch are #1 at using their land efficiently.
The Dutch are #1 at making everywhere else look really sh*t. I almost feel bad for myself.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Netherlands is an AWESOME country. Probably the best one in the world.

Wait, i found a REAL thing in where Argentina is the best (i admit soccer was a bit of a stretch -though it will be real next year): ICE CREAM.

Yeah, not many people know this, but we have the best ice cream in the world (certified). Yeah, i ve been in Italy last year and it cant even compare.

I think ice cream is a good reason to be proud

And best soccer player in the world!

And horse meat (?) apprently according to that link someone posted

And first country in the Americas to legalize same sex marriage?? Hey, thats something
What about:

#1 Largest Spanish-speaking country
#1 First country from the New World to deliver a pope
#1 First country to have an elected female head of state and head of government in the Western hemisphere
#1 Tourist destination in South America
#1 Highest consumption of red meat in the world
#1 In basketball (according to ranking by International Basketball Federation)

Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Finland is not part of Scandinavia. I'm surprised Sweden and Finland are ranked so high though. I was going by my own recollection of the last three Summer Olympics and the Scandinavian countries didn't really stand out to me then.
Blah, Blah, whatever. I usually include Finland in Scandinavia because 90% of the posters don't even know what the Nordic Countries mean. I didn't even know if you know which the Scandinavian countries are and that it would bother you. And in foreign media, like English, French or German, they always refer the Finns as Scandinavian. For simplicity, Finland and Iceland = Scandinavia, even if it's wrong, 90% of the people in the world refer us as Scandinavian.

I'm really tired on those few who complain "Finland is not Scandinavia" all the time, like in eg "Utrecht is not Holland!", like it would make any difference or change the point in any way.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Blah, Blah, whatever. I usually include Finland in Scandinavia because 90% of the posters don't even know what the Nordic Countries mean. I didn't even know if you know which the Scandinavian countries are and that it would bother you. And in foreign media, like English, French or German, they always refer the Finns as Scandinavian. For simplicity, Finland and Iceland = Scandinavia, even if it's wrong, 90% of the people in the world refer us as Scandinavian.

I'm really tired on those few who complain "Finland is not Scandinavia" all the time, like in eg "Utrecht is not Holland!", like it would make any difference or change the point in any way.
Well, I'm part of that 10% that do know It doesn't bother me, I'm just saying I wasn't talking about Finland in the first place. It's not that serious anyway. If the Scandinavian countries do well in the Summer and Winter Olympics, that only proves my point even more that less medals does not mean greater quality of life (unless you think the Scandinavian countries have an awful QOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World