Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:21 AM

61,452 posts, read 86,549,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

That's right - stay away from Moscow; be attentive to the opinion of 140 million ( or so) Russians, who hate this city together with all its habitants with passion))))

Not so bad. Times had changed a bit, I guess...

Why does Russia hate Moscow? - English pravda.ru

As in every very large city, people are busy with their own world, there is a faster peace of living, people don't know each other. Moscow is very expensive and out of reach for many Russians. There live large number of rich people. Of course they are not necessary loved by the poor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 04:51 AM

10,646 posts, read 15,977,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
You should go to Ireland. I've never heard anyone say the Irish aren't friendly. Your comment has really surprised me. Most lists about friendly countries always have Ireland on them.

I don't know what sort of Irish people you are meeting but it is very uncharacteristic. Of course there are good and bad in every nation.

Top 10: Friendly Countries - AskMen
I said not extremely friendly, it's not the same thing as unfriendly.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,263,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I said not extremely friendly, it's not the same thing as unfriendly.
irish people are superficially friendly which lends itself to a strong tourist sector but you could know an irish person ten years and not know all that much about them , its just how we are

we are also quite cliquey which is the case with a lot of small rural countries , new Zealanders are also very cliquey

Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,142,886 times
Quote:
The World's most friendly and unfriendliest citiest were voted by 46,000 people in a poll taken from travel magazine Conde Nast Traveler. More information at link provided.

World's Most Friendliest

1. Florianopolis, Brazil....
I've never seen Florianopolis mentioned in a poll. My cousin who lived for quite awhile in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), as well as in other parts of the world used to say too that Florianopolis was the friendliest place.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,142,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
irish people are superficially friendly which lends itself to a strong tourist sector but you could know an irish person ten years and not know all that much about them , its just how we are...
Give me that ol' "superficially friendly" Irish attitude any time. I've been to Ireland for vacations of two and three weeks six times, I guess, since the 60's, and always found people outgoing and helpful, and since I wasn't moving there, "getting to know you, getting to know all about you..." was OK by me.

That said, when I was last there, must be maybe three years ago now, the immigration guy in Dublin was really out and out unfriendly, which floored me. And at two restaurants in Cork the young waitresses were really totally disengaged from me and bad at the rest of the job as well. Based on my past experience I was totally unprepared for this conduct that I would have thought not terribly remarkable in other places I've lived in or travelled to.

But only three times in almost half a century can be overlooked with no problem.

And I'm with the poll...I liked Kilkenny better than Dublin or Cork.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 AM

26,733 posts, read 22,421,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not so bad. Times had changed a bit, I guess...

Why does Russia hate Moscow? - English pravda.ru

As in every very large city, people are busy with their own world, there is a faster peace of living, people don't know each other. Moscow is very expensive and out of reach for many Russians. There live large number of rich people. Of course they are not necessary loved by the poor
Sorry for not commenting on-time, but here it is dear Yelnina - Moscow and Moscovites are hated for different reasons; the fact that all the billionaires ( AND the goverenment) are residing there doesn't help much))))

I did laugh however at this particular comment in that article

Arseny Zaigralov, marketing expert, Saratov:
"I often go to Moscow for business, but if I ask someone to show me the way, most people usually respond that they are not from Moscow. I believe that they lie because they simply don't want to answer. Provincial people are not among favorites for many Muscovites. For me, Muscovites are not friends."

I suspect he is dead wrong and people whom he asks for directions are really not original Moscovites. It has been well- known already from Soviet times, that only native Moscovites can figure out how to find your way through all those winding side streets, circles and lanes ( actually knowing them by name,) particularly in the old part of the city. The rest of people who reside in Moscow but are not second-third generation are usually clueless, and they are the overwhelming majority.

Anyways, here is something specially for you - just came across it this morning

Russian Army Choir - Skyfall (Adele Cover) - YouTube

Last edited by erasure; 08-25-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 05:34 PM

23,413 posts, read 23,843,686 times
Yes, I found the Australians to be "laid back" and friendly towards Americans. Thai's are friendly, but I know they are after our $$$'s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Sydney friendly? You must've got lucky. I also found Bangkok pretty unfriendly...the friendliness of Thais is overrated, many just want your tourist dollar.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,816,699 times
Quote:
The World's most friendly and unfriendliest citiest were voted by 46,000 people in a poll taken from travel magazine Conde Nast Traveler. More information at link provided.

World's Most Friendliest

1. Florianopolis, Brazil
2. Hobart, Tasmania
3. Thimpu, Bhutan
4. Queenstown, New Zealand
5. Charleston, South Carolina
6. Paro, Bhutan
6. Margaret River, Australia
8. Mandalay, Myanmar
9. Kilkenny Ireland
9. Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
11. Chiang Mai, Thailand
12. Christchurch, New Zealand
13. Dublin, Ireland
14. Galena, Illinois
14. Victoria, British Columbia
16. Auckland, New Zealand
16. Savanah, Georgia
18. Edinburgh, Scotland
20. Asheville, North Carolina
20. Cork, Ireland

Unfriendliest Cities

1. Newark, New Jersey
2. Islamabad, Pakistan
3. Oakland, California
4. Luanda, Angola
5. Kuwait City
6. Lome, Togo
7. New Have, Connecticut
8. Detroit
9. Atlantic City, New Jersey
10. Tangier, Morocco
11. Guangzhou, China
12. Los Angeles
13. Albany, New York
14. Shenzhen, China
15. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
16. Moscow
17. Wilmington, Delaware
18. Casablanca, Morocco
19. Bethlehem, Palestine
20. Caracas, Venezeula

World's friendliest and unfriendliest cities are ... - CNN.com

The full survey is at this link
20. Cork, Ireland : The Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities in the World : Condé Nast Traveler.
Wow, this is one profoundly stupid list...

Oakland is the second least friendly city in the world?? I used to live in Oakland and even after I moved away, I kept in contact with a lot of the people I met there. Oakland has a lively brewpub scene, a lot of young people, and tons of stuff going on... here, let me give you three examples of the unfriendly nature of people in Oakland:

1) I'm headed home from a friend's place near Lake Merritt and bolt back to the BART (subway), only to discover the last train left. As I'm coming up from the station not knowing what to do, a young lady in a car pulls up.

Her: "Excuse me; do you know how to get back to San Francisco from here?"
Me: "Uh, yeah, it's kind of complicated... BUT, if you give me a ride back to the city, I can show you!"
Her: "Oh, uh..." *looks me up and down* "well, I'd like to, but, uh..."
Me: "That's okay, I understand... sorry, I got stranded over here... well, you'll go up to this street, make a left, then up to this street, make a right, then go about two miles, make right on _____, then you'll see the entrance to the 80 West, that's the Bay Bridge. Just take that and you'll get to SF."
Her: "Okay, thank you... you know what? Here, get in, I'll give you a ride!"

We ended up stopping at a food truck and getting burritos on the way over. She invited me to a party the next week; I invited her to a party my friends were throwing. We still keep in contact of Facebook.

2) Once again, I'm headed back from my friend's, only this time, I'm totally trashed and wearing a business suit because I went straight from work to my friend's. A young black dude with dreds and a skully comes up.

Him: "Hey blood, you waiting for the 88?"
Me: "Yeah, man."
Him: "Damn, me too."
Me: "Long night?"
Him: "Yup. Man, I was just at this party, and I was talking to this girl I ain't seen since I was 14, and *pours soul out to me about how he's totally into this girl but she's got a boyfriend*"
Me: "That sucks man, I've been there, too."
Him: "Really? Yo, you want a menthol cigarette?"
Me: "Sure."
We spend the next fifteen minutes talking about heartbreak... a young, urban dude and a yuppie in a suit, at 2.30am in Oakland. The bus finally comes, and passes us by. We end up walking back towards the downtown area, which is a couple miles away, unsuccessfully trying to hail cabs and griping about how much people suck for being judgemental. Eventually, we sprint the last mile because we're both close to missing our buses, which are the last for an hour. I somehow get to my bus before him, even though I'm all suited up, and hold his bus for him so he can get on and then narrowly make it onto my own.

3) I'm back in SF visiting my sister and head over to the Oakland DMV because it's less busy there, and it's the last day to pay my registration before I head back down to LA. I get everything taken care of, come back out to my car, and discover that for some reason, the clutch is totally slack. I check the fluids and they're fine, so I have no idea what's going on. I walk a few blocks and find a garage, but it's closed... so I start looking on Craigslist on my phone to see if there's a tow service in the area I can call. As I'm calling people, I look at the park across the street from the DMV, and see that there's a guy under the hood of a lady's car. I walk over and explain my problem, then ask if he can take a look at it when he's done.

The lady says, "oh, you can go look at his car right now, I'm not in any rush!" I insist he take care of her car first; ten minutes later, he comes over. He looks at the clutch cylinder, pumps the clutch a few times, tells me an air bubble got in their somehow, bleeds it, adds more and gets me on my way. I have a hundred bucks cash and offer it to him, and he refuses - "naw, naw, man - it was nothin'. I can't take your money." "No, seriously, take my money." "Naw, naw man, I didn't do nothin', it was just air. It was easy as havin' a burp!" I eventually convinced him to take forty bucks.

And this says nothing of the number of times I've met new and interesting people when I've been out and about during my day. Oakland has a bad reputation, and I can only imagine that's why it's number two on this list... behind Albany, NY, a city I'm also quite familiar with, which is unfriendly and overall has a very depressed vibe to it. Also, less friendly than Detroit? Please...

New Haven, CT is a small city that mostly exists because of Yale University. My dad is a Yale alumni and we went back frequently during my childhood. It's as fun and lively as any other small college town, meaning that you can fairly easily go into bars and cafes and meet new people if you're willing. Anyone on the street I've ever had to ask for directions was really helpful, and people overall were pleasant and approachable.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 AM

2,672 posts, read 5,452,368 times
It's a poll so there will always be people agreeing or disagreeing. Some of the places are a bit obscure and I don't know why so many US places are in the unfriendly list. I haven't looked at this indepth.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,415,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
My dad is a Yale alumni
I don't know your dad, but I'm pretty sure he's a Yale alumnus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World