Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2013, 01:13 AM
 
2,672 posts, read 5,442,349 times
Reputation: 2607

Advertisements

The World's most friendly and unfriendliest citiest were voted by 46,000 people in a poll taken from travel magazine Conde Nast Traveler. More information at link provided.

World's Most Friendliest

1. Florianopolis, Brazil
2. Hobart, Tasmania
3. Thimpu, Bhutan
4. Queenstown, New Zealand
5. Charleston, South Carolina
6. Paro, Bhutan
6. Margaret River, Australia
8. Mandalay, Myanmar
9. Kilkenny Ireland
9. Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
11. Chiang Mai, Thailand
12. Christchurch, New Zealand
13. Dublin, Ireland
14. Galena, Illinois
14. Victoria, British Columbia
16. Auckland, New Zealand
16. Savanah, Georgia
18. Edinburgh, Scotland
20. Asheville, North Carolina
20. Cork, Ireland

Unfriendliest Cities

1. Newark, New Jersey
2. Islamabad, Pakistan
3. Oakland, California
4. Luanda, Angola
5. Kuwait City
6. Lome, Togo
7. New Have, Connecticut
8. Detroit
9. Atlantic City, New Jersey
10. Tangier, Morocco
11. Guangzhou, China
12. Los Angeles
13. Albany, New York
14. Shenzhen, China
15. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
16. Moscow
17. Wilmington, Delaware
18. Casablanca, Morocco
19. Bethlehem, Palestine
20. Caracas, Venezeula


World's friendliest and unfriendliest cities are ... - CNN.com

The full survey is at this link
20. Cork, Ireland : The Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities in the World : Condé Nast Traveler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2013, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
61,360 posts, read 86,262,097 times
Reputation: 131125
Like all surveys they are highly subjective.
I was in Casablanca, Tangier and some other north African countries/cities and everywhere met very friendly people. Most "tourists" need to learn and understand other cultures, they also need to behave accordingly, and observe other customs, and not compare everything with their own little world and comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,572 posts, read 20,706,111 times
Reputation: 2833
Margaret River isn't a city, lol. It's a town of 10,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 PM
 
874 posts, read 1,260,282 times
Reputation: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Like all surveys they are highly subjective.
I was in Casablanca, Tangier and some other north African countries/cities and everywhere met very friendly people. Most "tourists" need to learn and understand other cultures, they also need to behave accordingly, and observe other customs, and not compare everything with their own little world and comfort zone.
This.

Those two stuck out to me immediately on the "Unfriendly" list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2013, 09:57 PM
 
4,434 posts, read 6,959,055 times
Reputation: 2261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The World's most friendly and unfriendliest citiest were voted by 46,000 people in a poll taken from travel magazine Conde Nast Traveler. More information at link provided.

World's Most Friendliest

1. Florianopolis, Brazil
2. Hobart, Tasmania
3. Thimpu, Bhutan
4. Queenstown, New Zealand
5. Charleston, South Carolina
6. Paro, Bhutan
6. Margaret River, Australia
8. Mandalay, Myanmar
9. Kilkenny Ireland
9. Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
11. Chiang Mai, Thailand
12. Christchurch, New Zealand
13. Dublin, Ireland
14. Galena, Illinois
14. Victoria, British Columbia
16. Auckland, New Zealand
16. Savanah, Georgia
18. Edinburgh, Scotland
20. Asheville, North Carolina
20. Cork, Ireland

Unfriendliest Cities

1. Newark, New Jersey
2. Islamabad, Pakistan
3. Oakland, California
4. Luanda, Angola
5. Kuwait City
6. Lome, Togo
7. New Have, Connecticut
8. Detroit
9. Atlantic City, New Jersey
10. Tangier, Morocco
11. Guangzhou, China
12. Los Angeles
13. Albany, New York
14. Shenzhen, China
15. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
16. Moscow
17. Wilmington, Delaware
18. Casablanca, Morocco
19. Bethlehem, Palestine
20. Caracas, Venezeula


World's friendliest and unfriendliest cities are ... - CNN.com


The full survey is at this link
20. Cork, Ireland : The Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities in the World : Condé Nast Traveler.
I did not find Hobart very friendly. Yes there was people nice to me but it was no different than other cities in Australia.

I found Queenstown to be quite friendly but found Wellington to be more so.

Last edited by other99; 08-10-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM
 
Location: East Bay, San Francisco Bay Area
23,350 posts, read 23,753,608 times
Reputation: 23752
My personal experiences:

Friendly:

1/ Sydney, Austrailia
2/ Vancouver, BC
3/ Conwy, Wales
4/ Tokyo, Japan
5/ Bangkok, Thailand

Unfriendly:

1/ Hong Kong (pushy, rude, dog eat dog mentality)
2/ Los Angeles (idiotic drivers and constant traffic congestion)
3/ Paris, France (snobby and unpleasant)
4/ Seoul, Korea (pushy, aggressive people and serious traffic congestion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 03:44 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,572 posts, read 20,706,111 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
My personal experiences:

Friendly:

1/ Sydney, Austrailia
2/ Vancouver, BC
3/ Conwy, Wales
4/ Tokyo, Japan
5/ Bangkok, Thailand

Unfriendly:

1/ Hong Kong (pushy, rude, dog eat dog mentality)
2/ Los Angeles (idiotic drivers and constant traffic congestion)
3/ Paris, France (snobby and unpleasant)
4/ Seoul, Korea (pushy, aggressive people and serious traffic congestion)
Sydney friendly? You must've got lucky. I also found Bangkok pretty unfriendly...the friendliness of Thais is overrated, many just want your tourist dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 01:23 PM
 
26,712 posts, read 22,332,762 times
Reputation: 9996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The World's most friendly and unfriendliest citiest were voted by 46,000 people in a poll taken from travel magazine Conde Nast Traveler. More information at link provided.

World's Most Friendliest

1. Florianopolis, Brazil
2. Hobart, Tasmania
3. Thimpu, Bhutan
4. Queenstown, New Zealand
5. Charleston, South Carolina
6. Paro, Bhutan
6. Margaret River, Australia
8. Mandalay, Myanmar
9. Kilkenny Ireland
9. Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
11. Chiang Mai, Thailand
12. Christchurch, New Zealand
13. Dublin, Ireland
14. Galena, Illinois
14. Victoria, British Columbia
16. Auckland, New Zealand
16. Savanah, Georgia
18. Edinburgh, Scotland
20. Asheville, North Carolina
20. Cork, Ireland

Unfriendliest Cities

1. Newark, New Jersey
2. Islamabad, Pakistan
3. Oakland, California
4. Luanda, Angola
5. Kuwait City
6. Lome, Togo
7. New Have, Connecticut
8. Detroit
9. Atlantic City, New Jersey
10. Tangier, Morocco
11. Guangzhou, China
12. Los Angeles
13. Albany, New York
14. Shenzhen, China
15. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
16. Moscow
17. Wilmington, Delaware
18. Casablanca, Morocco
19. Bethlehem, Palestine
20. Caracas, Venezeula


World's friendliest and unfriendliest cities are ... - CNN.com

The full survey is at this link
20. Cork, Ireland : The Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities in the World : Condé Nast Traveler.
That's right - stay away from Moscow; be attentive to the opinion of 140 million ( or so) Russians, who hate this city together with all its habitants with passion))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,626 posts, read 15,947,857 times
Reputation: 5280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The World's most friendly and unfriendliest citiest were voted by 46,000 people in a poll taken from travel magazine Conde Nast Traveler. More information at link provided.

World's Most Friendliest

1. Florianopolis, Brazil
2. Hobart, Australia
3. Thimpu, Bhutan
4. Queenstown, New Zealand
5. Charleston, USA
6. Paro, Bhutan
6. Margaret River, Australia
8. Mandalay, Myanmar
9. Kilkenny Ireland
9. Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
11. Chiang Mai, Thailand
12. Christchurch, New Zealand
13. Dublin, Ireland
14. Galena, USA
14. Victoria, Canada
16. Auckland, New Zealand
16. Savanah, USA
18. Edinburgh, Scotland
20. Asheville, USA
20. Cork, Ireland

Unfriendliest Cities

1. Newark, USA
2. Islamabad, Pakistan
3. Oakland, USA
4. Luanda, Angola
5. Kuwait City, Kuwait
6. Lome, Togo
7. New Haven, USA
8. Detroit, USA
9. Atlantic City, USA
10. Tangier, Morocco
11. Guangzhou, China
12. Los Angeles, USA
13. Albany, USA
14. Shenzhen, China
15. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
16. Moscow, Russia
17. Wilmington, USA
18. Casablanca, Morocco
19. Bethlehem, The World
20. Caracas, Venezuela
[/url]

The full survey is at this link
20. Cork, Ireland : The Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities in the World : Condé Nast Traveler.
USA 8 cities (Newark, Oakland, New Haven, Detroit, Atlantic City, Los Angeles, Albany, Wilmington) in the top 20 unfriendliest cities in the world? Can't be right, maybe in the top 20 in North America.

I've never been to Ireland but i never saw Irish folk as extremely friendly, really suprised at them having 3 cities (Kilkenny, Dublin, Cork) on the top 20 most friendliest list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 11:50 PM
 
2,672 posts, read 5,442,349 times
Reputation: 2607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
USA 8 cities (Newark, Oakland, New Haven, Detroit, Atlantic City, Los Angeles, Albany, Wilmington) in the top 20 unfriendliest cities in the world? Can't be right, maybe in the top 20 in North America.

I've never been to Ireland but i never saw Irish folk as extremely friendly, really suprised at them having 3 cities (Kilkenny, Dublin, Cork) on the top 20 most friendliest list.
You should go to Ireland. I've never heard anyone say the Irish aren't friendly. Your comment has really surprised me. Most lists about friendly countries always have Ireland on them.

I don't know what sort of Irish people you are meeting but it is very uncharacteristic. Of course there are good and bad in every nation.

Top 10: Friendly Countries - AskMen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top