Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,086 times

Advertisements

Can you brush your teeth and bathe in water that is contaminated like china or Japan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mor3 View Post
Can you brush your teeth and bathe in water that is contaminated like china or Japan?
I doubt it, I have trouble chewing gum and walking at the same time.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
They do in India, but they've probably developed some immunity to it. I don't think the water in Japan is that contaminated. In China you can brush your teeth with tap-water but wouldn't recommend drinking it.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
In public tapwater, of course you can. Generally, you can bathe in lakes and rivers in most parts of the world, but not in Africa (bilharzia) or I think a couple of other places where there are snail larvae that can get into your urinary tract, or in places that are downstream from particularly noxious polluting industries. Depends on the form of contamination. Even contamination is unlikely to do you any harm from simple exposure, although you might not like the feel of it when you try to dry off if there are actually suspended or floating stuff in it. Be careful not to get any in your mouth or eyes, especially if there is raw sewage in it.

If you turn on a faucet and water comes out, it is obviously safe to put your hands in, and if it's OK for your hands, it won't hurt any other part of your body.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mor3 View Post
Japan's water is not contaminated, unless it has had radioactive material seep into it. Otherwise, Japan's water is as clean as the US's and western Europe's

Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
There are countless harmful parasites living in bodies of fresh water around the world https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases. All kinds of worms, microscopic parasites, and disease-spreading organisms (not to mention parasitic fish like the dreaded Candiru). And these organisms are not restricted to standing water. They can be found in raging rivers in tropical climates around the world, from the Amazon, to the Congo, the Niger, Zambezi, Ganges, Brahmaputtra, Mekong, Orinoco and countless others.

So bathing in fresh water in countries where these parasites are common is always a crap-shoot. Usually quick showers are the best, and brushing teeth with bottled water. Don't let tap water or river-water go down your gullet if you can help it. Stick to bottled water for drinking. If you're really roughing it in the jungles of Indonesia or checking out the Ebola Delta by canoe and don't have the sea available to you, hand-wash with bottled water if possible or with the cleanest source of natural water you can find - well water is usually okay. Boil the damn water if it's really suspicious. Obviously let it cool down before you bathe with it

The WHO is a great source for finding out which countries have which water-borne disease and how you can protect yourself against them: WHO | Countries

Hope this helps.

BTW, Japan does not have contaminated tap water, even though some travel guides don't recommend drinking Tokyo's government juice. Bathing with it is fine. Same with Chinese tap water. Drinking bottled water in China is advisable, but water-borne diseases are not a threat at all unless you are in the jungles of the southwest hiking through streams and rivers and wet lands.

Last edited by TOkidd; 08-09-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,666 times
Contaminated with what exactly? Flesh-eating bacteria? Wouldn't bathe in that kind of water.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
I've bathed in the tapwater of 130 countries, and drank it in probably more than 100, and might have suffered an inconvenience as a result maybe twice, with a few more occasions from foodborne pathogens or just doorknobs or people coughing on me. In every case, the symptoms went away in a day or two, sometimes with the aid of something from a local drug store, where they've seen it before. Illness happens, whether you're at home or abroad, and your body fights it off and you go on. The more exposure you've had, the more resistance your body is prepared to offer.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:05 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Most water has something in it that can be harmful to us.. fluoride too... I dont drink my tap water at all, as it smells of bleach.. I wouldnt brush my teeth with certain water in some countries and use bottled... and contaminated water is ingested through our skin when we wash or have a shower...this site states that adults can shower in this type of water if rinsed off with other water. I wouldnt though.. http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/water-...r-contaminated

Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
Absolutely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World