Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 18 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,931,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
I agree with your write , Indonesia modern day is a different from Netherlands, may be Netherlands stronger in countries other colonies, but in terms of language some vocabulary in the Indonesian has a Dutch influence, as well as building heritage buildings, some of the food is still there effect until today.
I think the same as Vietnam still has a French influence there, especially food and possibly language.
Indonesia seems like one of those extra spiritual countries around, and a unique archipelago collection of 17,000-19,000 islands agglomeration surprisingly not far away from Oceania Australia on some islands in Southeast Asia area of Indonesia.

Indonesia feels unknown, and underrated towards North Americans, and probably more familiar to Australians than Dutch people in the Netherlands. I believe French colonialism was stronger in Vietnam compared to Dutch influence with Indonesia.

Depends on the island involved because Java seems to have the most Dutch inspiration in past times, yet very subtle. Overall, I wouldn’t really include a Netherlands-Indonesia Dutch influence pair in the earlier post. I was wondering about France-Vietnam/Cambodia, and vacillating in what I thought.

France’s largest Asian immigrant community is actually Vietnamese. Wikipedia claims around 300,000 in all of mainland France. Vietnamese people in France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At least 5% of Vietnam’s population knows French language, especially the older people in demographics. Incredible surprising revelation: French colonialism might have inadvertently caused the current modern Vietnamese language in utilizing a Latinized writing script instead of traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese looking characters in writing. In Saigon, there is tons of French style Independent Cafes all over, and must have originated in French colonialism. A travel blog refers about these French cafes in Saigon. The incredible cafe scene of Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam One of the best independent wifi cafe scenes in the entire world right in Saigon Vietnam!

Maybe France-Vietnam is worthy of qualifying after all. However, they are extremely different overall in opposite areas of the World.

Last edited by ; 03-31-2015 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,530,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mexico - Philippines. The reasons have been discussed at length in other threads.

Canada - Sweden

India - Brazil. Yeah this is a stretch but both are tropical areas with a colonial past with vast stretches of rain-forest and wildlife in abundance. Both have many people who still live at harmony in those jungles.

USA - Russia. Each are dominant in their own spheres of influence.

Argentina - Italy

Haiti - Central African republic. Haiti has African ancestry. Both French speaking and the poorest countries in their regions.
Brazil doesn't have many people living in jungles... only some small indian villages, many of them still uncontacted.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:52 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,615,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I am Black American. have known a few Liberians and had a Liberian teacher. Their accent IS NOT Black American. Not all Black Americans say "fo". Careful with that stereotype, some may bite your head off for that. No Black American I have ever known has said "sebb'm" LOL

Stereotypes exist because they reflect reality, down to a certain depth. No doubt, most Liberians and most African Americans do not say it that way, but it does have a common root in both cultures. By the way, I've been in Liberia. And I've heard rural southern blacks speaking since 1950.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:01 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,615,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Though Cuba and Philippines were both Spanish colonies that both fell under the hands of USA after, I would pair Philippines with Mexico instead because of their shared history and culture.
Philippines and Cuba are also tropical island cultures, where Mexico evolved from a cool dry highland outset. Philippines is also the only Christian country in Asia.

Old 01-08-2023, 04:35 PM

6,390 posts, read 5,030,734 times
South Korea = Ireland of East Asia (small; highly developed; tax haven; tense relations with the nearby larger country it became independent from [Japan] and is emphatic about rejecting that nation's culture)

Spain = Peru of Europe (big for tourism and second homes; pleasant and non-extreme climates; mountainous; recent-ish history of instability and dictators)

India = Nigeria of Central/South Asia (largest country in its region and seen as an important power going into the future; religious tensions; territorial disputes with nearby countries [China and Cameroon]; large diaspora population in the West)

Old 01-21-2023, 04:04 AM

2,946 posts, read 1,323,091 times
Ireland- USA
Ireland- Australia
England- New Zealand
Netherlands- South Africa

Largely due to how much these peoples among others have shaped the national ethos of these lands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World