Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,736,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
I have equal preference for wanting to visit Seoul, Jeju island, Busan, and rural Northeastern South Korea Gwandong region.

However, I prefer visiting more 20 to 30 other countries in the world before visiting South Korea, even if I appreciate, like, and respect this country too, finding it very interesting, and more visually impressive than expected.

There is an unprecedented, extremely entertaining fact about South Korea between Seoul and Jeju island.

The number 1 World’s Busiest Passenger Air Route in 2012 was Seoul airport to Jeju island with literally up to 10.1 million passengers in 2012. World's busiest passenger air routes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia File:Top 21 passenger air routes.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeju island is already very popular in domestic tourism, mostly for mainland South Koreans visiting there. However, outside of South Korea, Jeju island continues to be mostly unknown, very mysterious, and a hidden secret for international tourism.
Yes, I remember seeing posters in Singapore I think promoting South Korea and Jeju Island as one of the natural wonders of the world. It's one thing which seems really unique/interesting in Korea. I suppose Korean architecture, like Vietnamese, just seems too similar to Chinese, whereas say Thai or Khmer is so unique and not something you'd find anywhere else. Japanese is also more unique, although it has obviously influences from China too. I wish China had more buildings.etc from the Han dynasty, like Italy has buildings from Rome, but sadly there are NONE, unless one considers buried sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,891,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, I remember seeing posters in Singapore I think promoting South Korea and Jeju Island as one of the natural wonders of the world. It's one thing which seems really unique/interesting in Korea. I suppose Korean architecture, like Vietnamese, just seems too similar to Chinese, whereas say Thai or Khmer is so unique and not something you'd find anywhere else. Japanese is also more unique, although it has obviously influences from China too. I wish China had more buildings.etc from the Han dynasty, like Italy has buildings from Rome, but sadly there are NONE, unless one considers buried sites.
I didn’t expect the positive views of South Korea from Singapore, including in the posters in Singapore promoting South Korean tourism. lol Then again, this might be surprising I am sounding like a tourist promoter for South Korea right now, almost as if I was working for the South Korea tourism industry.

Well, there is plenty of unique characteristics about South Korea. Seoul is a unique megalopolis city region. Busan seems relatively unique too, even if kind of reminding me of photos for Fukuoka Japan, so its not just Jeju island in sense of place for South Korea.

The religious/spiritual demographics in South Korea is unique. There is almost an even mix of people in South Korea following Christianity, Buddhism, and secular/not religious. However, there is technically even more Christians than Buddhists there, 13.7 million/29% of the population having Christian beliefs vs. 10.7 million/23% having Buddhist beliefs. South Korea is probably the second most Christian country in Asia after the Philippines.

Is there any other place in the world other than South Korea having an even mix of Christians, Buddhists, and secular/not religious people in the majority of the population for millions of people?

The relations between South Korea vs. North Korea is unique for being almost completely different from each other in modern times, and barely resembling each other in recent modern times, and they used to be the same country and ethnic heritage not too many years ago.

I don’t see South Korea being very similar to Vietnam for plenty of reasons. There is more differences than the few similarities between Vietnam vs. South Korea.

How does the Han dynasty compare to the other dynasties for the historic architecture in China?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I didn’t expect the positive views of South Korea from Singapore, including in the posters in Singapore promoting South Korean tourism. lol Then again, this might be surprising I am sounding like a tourist promoter for South Korea right now, almost as if I was working for the South Korea tourism industry.

Well, there is plenty of unique characteristics about South Korea. Seoul is a unique megalopolis city region. Busan seems relatively unique too, even if kind of reminding me of photos for Fukuoka Japan, so its not just Jeju island in sense of place for South Korea.

The religious/spiritual demographics in South Korea is unique. There is almost an even mix of people in South Korea following Christianity, Buddhism, and secular/not religious. However, there is technically even more Christians than Buddhists there, 13.7 million/29% of the population having Christian beliefs vs. 10.7 million/23% having Buddhist beliefs. South Korea is probably the second most Christian country in Asia after the Philippines.

Is there any other place in the world other than South Korea having an even mix of Christians, Buddhists, and secular/not religious people in the majority of the population for millions of people?

The relations between South Korea vs. North Korea is unique for being almost completely different from each other in modern times, and barely resembling each other in recent modern times, and they used to be the same country and ethnic heritage not too many years ago.

I don’t see South Korea being very similar to Vietnam for plenty of reasons. There is more differences than the few similarities between Vietnam vs. South Korea.

How does the Han dynasty compare to the other dynasties for the historic architecture in China?
K-pop is popular throughout Asia, so that might be one reason why Singaporeans are just starting to visit Korea. In Vietnam there are a lot of Korean shows and I saw promotions for visiting Seoul on the Korean channel.

Seoul is pretty unique...two times now I've heard from people how it's more energetic, lively, than Tokyo with some of the craziest nightlife in Asia. Some have said nightlife in Tokyo is boring and overrated. It feels like one of the most intense urban experiences in earth.

It is, and the rapidity of the Christianization of South Korea is quite incredible too, going from a few percent 100 years ago to nearly a third now. Of the Christians, 19% are Protestant and 10% are Catholic. South Korea I believe has some of the largest churches in the world. They also send out more missionaries than any country after the United States. I can't think of any countries with such an even balance, I suppose Singapore is religiously diverse, but is less Christian (although it's 15% or so is significant). I think East Timor might technically be the most Christian nation in Asia then the Philippines but it's not really well known. And if one considers Lebanon, Lebanon is still 40% Christian which would make SK no. 4. Oh and Armenia and Georgia.

Yep, North Korea is such a closed society. I hope reunification will happen in the near future, it's one of the greatest denial of liberties in the world today.

Of course Vietnam and S.Korea have many differences, but like in thread comparing the similarities, I'm sure you can see the parallels. Both the most Chinese countries outside China, both very Confucian, both had wars during the Cold War and were (and in the case of Korea still is) divided into two. Both borrow 50-60% of words from Chinese. They are far more similar in that sense than most other countries.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 AM

89 posts, read 202,095 times
In my opinion, south Korea will become a top travel destination for Asian travelers. since Korean dramas and Korean stars have great influences on Asian countries. many young people will dream of visiting south Korea.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,643,089 times
Personally, I would love to live there. Bosan, specifically. I'd love to teach English but, I'm 47, and they prefer teachers in their 20's and 30's.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:39 AM

39 posts, read 53,560 times
Koreans are in general an angry and insecure people who despise other asians and typically don't like foreigners in their country either. Ask a Korean what having the "han" means and they will look shocked and embarrassed that you have heard of that term before. It's not a bad word per se but it's a term that really defines the typical Korean personality. "Han" is basically a sense of fatalism, manic disorder, and extreme pessimism. It's a constant glass half empty mental state that Koreans tend to have. Japan has probably the most insular culture in the world but Korea is right up there.

With that being said Koreans are good at business and they put out some great films but it's hard to deny the despair and negativity inherent in their culture. Look at the most popular films and shows in Korea it's all about tragedy and depression. Men and women strive for "perfection" through plastic surgery and materialism but passion and love for life simply does not exist in Korean culture.

If you doubt what i'm saying just look at this..

South Korea almost tops the global suicide rate list at #2 in the world.

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,891,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
K-pop is popular throughout Asia, so that might be one reason why Singaporeans are just starting to visit Korea. In Vietnam there are a lot of Korean shows and I saw promotions for visiting Seoul on the Korean channel.

Seoul is pretty unique...two times now I've heard from people how it's more energetic, lively, than Tokyo with some of the craziest nightlife in Asia. Some have said nightlife in Tokyo is boring and overrated. It feels like one of the most intense urban experiences in earth.

It is, and the rapidity of the Christianization of South Korea is quite incredible too, going from a few percent 100 years ago to nearly a third now. Of the Christians, 19% are Protestant and 10% are Catholic. South Korea I believe has some of the largest churches in the world. They also send out more missionaries than any country after the United States. I can't think of any countries with such an even balance, I suppose Singapore is religiously diverse, but is less Christian (although it's 15% or so is significant). I think East Timor might technically be the most Christian nation in Asia then the Philippines but it's not really well known. And if one considers Lebanon, Lebanon is still 40% Christian which would make SK no. 4. Oh and Armenia and Georgia.

Yep, North Korea is such a closed society. I hope reunification will happen in the near future, it's one of the greatest denial of liberties in the world today.

Of course Vietnam and S.Korea have many differences, but like in thread comparing the similarities, I'm sure you can see the parallels. Both the most Chinese countries outside China, both very Confucian, both had wars during the Cold War and were (and in the case of Korea still is) divided into two. Both borrow 50-60% of words from Chinese. They are far more similar in that sense than most other countries.
What is your personal view of K-pop music? I have mixed opinions for Korean music. Some of it seems very entertaining, even if some Korean music seems too similar all the time, conformist, and superficial. I have a more positive respectful opinion of the movies from South Korea.

Yeah, Seoul is a unique megalopolis region mega city with literally up to 10 million people living in city limits, and 25 million people in the metropolitan area. Seoul might even be considered based on some measures as the number 1 largest city proper in the “developed 1st world.” The South Korean national personality, South Korean culture, the innovative technology, nightlife, and ultra modern vibe is making Seoul very unique.

The other regions of South Korea is very interesting too and having some tourist attractions such as Busan, Jeju island, and Gwandong province Northeastern Rural South Korea.

However, this country is known to be very workaholic in school education and jobs/career, too competitive, and too much recent emphasis on economics. I find it very ironic and a paradox if the nightlife entertainment scene in Seoul is one of the best in the world, even while having the very workaholic side in life.

What specifically caused the rapid Christianization of South Korea? This county continues to have a near ideal even mix for millions of people following Christianity, Buddhism, and Secular/Not Religious. However, there is technically more Christians than Buddhists in South Korea right now, and becoming even more Christian.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
What is your personal view of K-pop music? I have mixed opinions for Korean music. Some of it seems very entertaining, even if some Korean music seems too similar all the time, conformist, and superficial. I have a more positive respectful opinion of the movies from South Korea.

Yeah, Seoul is a unique megalopolis region mega city with literally up to 10 million people living in city limits, and 25 million people in the metropolitan area. Seoul might even be considered based on some measures as the number 1 largest city proper in the “developed 1st world.” The South Korean national personality, South Korean culture, the innovative technology, nightlife, and ultra modern vibe is making Seoul very unique.

The other regions of South Korea is very interesting too and having some tourist attractions such as Busan, Jeju island, and Gwandong province Northeastern Rural South Korea.

However, this country is known to be very workaholic in school education and jobs/career, too competitive, and too much recent emphasis on economics. I find it very ironic and a paradox if the nightlife entertainment scene in Seoul is one of the best in the world, even while having the very workaholic side in life.

What specifically caused the rapid Christianization of South Korea? This county continues to have a near ideal even mix for millions of people following Christianity, Buddhism, and Secular/Not Religious. However, there is technically more Christians than Buddhists in South Korea right now, and becoming even more Christian.
Not really interested/don't pay much attention to it. It seems really plastic, manufactured (in more ways than one). I don't like the fact that so many in SK get plastic surgery, although they're free to do it...even teenagers get plastic surgery as presents or rewards for doing well in school. In many cases it's to get a one-up in the competitive business or dating world. In addition, it isn't really Korean, more like an imitation of American music. At least some of the older Korean pop music had more Korean musical influences in terms of instrumentation, lyrics, style...

Yes Seoul seems to be an 'it' city now. For so long South Korea was overshadowed by Japan, now I think many Koreans see themselves catching up. While many Koreans are embarrassed by K-pop, many are just glad that Korea is so influential. Gangnam style and Samsung might just be the beginning...

Yes I'd like to visit Jeju Island one day...North Korea also holds an almost perverse fascination for me, it's like parallel universe there. I hope this changes though.

Yes, even Tiger Beer mentioned Korea felt hectic compared to Japan. I guess they 'work hard and play hard', they must have a lot of energy to be able to do most, because I hear Koreans really know how to party hard!

I actually read about that in a book about Korea. It was linked a lot to nationalism during Japanese colonial rule. It also appealed a lot to poor rural folks, as Christianity was less class based. I suppose that's partly why it appealed to early peasants in the Roman Empire. Women were among those who really promoted it. After the Korean War many American missionaries also started evangelising Koreans. I'm actually not sure if it's becoming more Christian, I sense it's kind of stagnated. Korea now seems more secular than anything, but I think Christianity definitely is still quite strong, especially in Seoul and less so in the east which is more Buddhist.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,643,089 times
Here's a consideration, especially for tourism. How is South Korea dealing with the radiation situation from the Fukushima tragedy? Radiation can be detected all over the U.S. now so it must be worse there. I really hope not but I fear it is.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 AM

15 posts, read 26,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Here's a consideration, especially for tourism. How is South Korea dealing with the radiation situation from the Fukushima tragedy? Radiation can be detected all over the U.S. now so it must be worse there. I really hope not but I fear it is.
Apparently a big big concern there.

Via yonhap:

Quote:
South Korea expanded its import ban on Japan's fisheries products to include all fisheries products from the radiation-hit Fukushima and seven other adjacent prefectures, the government said Friday.

The move comes as a widespread radiation scare in South Korea is leading to a sharp drop in the consumption of fisheries products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World