Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

I think this will be an interesting question, and will depend on your own socio-economic situation, social circle.etc.

Australians travel quite a bit compared to other nationalities. We're kind of isolated, and Australian culture can get a bit boring (though we have much to explore) so it seems among middle and upper class Australians most people have been to Asia, and quite a few to Europe or the US. Of people I know, the majority have been overseas at least once (keep in mind 25% of Australians were born overseas to start with), often to Indonesia (Bali), Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Fiji, Vietnam, China, UK, France, Italy, US, Canada. I'd guess at least 80% of those I know. Probably as much as a third of people I know have been to either Europe or North America. I know people who've visited Africa, South America, the Middle East and India too...indeed quite a few who've been to India.

I myself have been to Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and the US and plan to go to Europe next.

Of the general population, however, my estimate is about 50-60% have been overseas. Biggest destinations are NZ, Thailand, UK, US, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia. I'd say among Australians perhaps 10-20% have been to Europe, and somewhat less to North America.

Domestically, most people have at least been interstate, and it's not common for them to have visited all 6 states and 2 territories like myself. Most people in the East have never been to Western Australia while most West Australians have been East. Obviously, lower socio-economic groups are less likely to travel. I know one girl who'd never left Perth, let alone the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
Depending on the region you live in, an occasional trip to one of the neighbouring countries is quite common. Upper Austrians tend to go to Bavaria or Southern Bohemia for cheaper shopping. Bratislava is quite popular amongst Viennese.

The occasional summer vacation in Spain, Croatia, Egypt (well, not anymore), Turkey or Italy is also not unheard of. Some do weekend trips to cities like Amsterdam or Hamburg.

Leaving the continent is quite uncommon, though. I don't think the average Austrian is that well travelled, though, and one can't really say that he's adventurous.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
I'd say pretty well. Every Finn does 1.5 trips abroad a year, as much as domestic trips. That might seem like a lot, but 20% of them are to Estonia and 12% to Sweden.

The most popular countries to visit are in order: Estonia, Sweden, Spain, Germany, UK, Russia, Italy, France, Turkey, Thailand and Greece.

Rising countries, especially in winter, are Austria and Switzerland. Italian trips are often city-tours for around 3 nights.
During winter, Spain, Thailand and Turkey are overwhelmingly the most popular.

'Eastern' Europe, Poland, Czech Republic and Hungary mostly, take a small piece. Maybe surprising for some, Latvia and Lithuania are very rare destinations.

Intercontinental trips are still rare, so are trips that require a visa. Russia is the only popular country where a visa is needed.

Source: Statistics Finland 2010.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
I think the Dutch are in the top 5 in the world by % of population that travels abroad.
Almost every Dutch person i know have visited every Western European country (except Ireland, UK and Scandinavia) plus Turkey and Greece.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:48 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Depending on the region you live in, an occasional trip to one of the neighbouring countries is quite common. Upper Austrians tend to go to Bavaria or Southern Bohemia for cheaper shopping. Bratislava is quite popular amongst Viennese.

The occasional summer vacation in Spain, Croatia, Egypt (well, not anymore), Turkey or Italy is also not unheard of. Some do weekend trips to cities like Amsterdam or Hamburg.

Leaving the continent is quite uncommon, though. I don't think the average Austrian is that well travelled, though, and one can't really say that he's adventurous.
I would think trips to Egypt would be more popular during winter to escape the cold, and the fact Egypt is scorching hot in summer.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times
For going abroad, not so well. Maybe a trip to the Caribbean every 4-5 years. It's usually considered a huge deal if someone goes to London or Paris for example. Lots of people here also seem to have fears of foreign places, though. If you mention Central/South America, North Africa, Asia, whatever, people often seem to think you are taking a huge risk. At least here in Northern Ontario.

People travel all over Canada all the time though, and it is a huge country.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
Germans, Brits and Americans spend the most outside of their own country, but that isn't really telling of how many of them actually travel.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 13,800 times
Default Danes

Danes tend to travel a bit but I'm hesitant to call them worldly as they have an annoying habit of constantly comparing the countries the visit to Denmark as if it's the center of the universe and above every other country in the world. I remember going to Tunisia and being with a group of Danes at a restaurant where they continued to critize the local food and raising their Danish meatballs and pork lever paté above anything else.
It seems at times that Danes don't realize just how big the rest of the world is. In a way it's understandable. Denmark has about 5,4 mio people and the distance from one town/city to the other is very small. It takes about 3 1/2 hours to go from Copenhagen in the east to Esbjerg in the west so when they think they can travel from New York to Houston in a day by car you just have to forgive the ignorance.
Danes generally make a **** ton of money compared to many other countries (with the exception of Norway) and they spend it like it's Monopoly money. For example, they do not hesitate to pay $40 for a Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt which costs about $13 in the States. Thus, when they travel they think nothing of it spending money on the most ridiculous survenier crap from t-shirts to key chains. For these reason - considering their ridiculous spending habits and the high wages in Denmark they are great to have as tourists. Bring them to your country and profit on them. You may think "High wages? Like what?" Well, most waiters are making between $20 and $35 an hour plus tips. Industrial painters are often making between $30 and $45 an hour. Oh... and students get paid by the government to go to school (approx $1,000 a month gross) in addition to having their tuition paid for.

Yes, Danes travel and spend money to bring them to your country and let them burn their high wages there.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Here in my city in South Texas, the population is about 50% of Mexican ancestry. Of those born in the USA, I don't think half of them have ever been to Mexico at all, which is about a four hour drive from here. One friend of mine has only been there once, to a funeral of an ancestor. A lot of Hispanics cannot speak Spanish at all. It is about 300 miles to the state line, and an awful lot of people have never been out of Texas.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,503 times
It of course depends on how small/big your native country is. I mean, if I take five steps, I'm already in another country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World