Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: USA, More like...? (people)
Germanic Europeans 87 65.91%
Latin Europeans 15 11.36%
Other (specify) 30 22.73%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:29 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times

Advertisements

This thread is still alive? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:48 AM

30,346 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This thread is still alive? LOL
A strong thread can last for years...this one's already withstood the time test.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
A strong thread can last for years...this one's already withstood the time test.
I was speaking tongue and cheek hence the LOL.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:11 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
The dominant culture of the U.S. is derived from northwestern Europe - especially the U.K., France and Germany. Unmistakable similarities exist between the U.S. and those countries.

I would go so far as to say there is an unspoken allegiance by a lot of Americans towards the British royals.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM

84 posts, read 225,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The OP is already so infested with old stereotypes, I don't know if this thread is gonna be something at all.

What on earth is 'Germanic Europe'? Is it everything north of the Alps?

If I wanted to be rude, I'd say that the Americans are more like Northern Europeans, as they actually like to work, take responsibility and keep their promises, unlike Spaniards and Portuguese...

And the OP is infested with old stereotypes... yes yes

Old 02-02-2016, 11:20 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,034 times
The U.S. predates a large percentage of European countries. The Declaration of independence was signed almost 100 years before the unifications of Germany and Italy. The U.S. was almost set in it's current borders when the Austrian, Ottoman, and Russian Empires were still fighting over how to divide eastern Europe. The whole Germanic/Latin European cultural division is a relatively new and exaggerated idea. People throughout Europe lived generally the same lifestyles up until the industrial revolution which happened after the US came into being.

I say all this to make an argument that what is thought of as European cultural influence on the US is very much overstated. Colonists from England and France brought over their systems of government and over time and largely independent from Europe, they developed into what's in place today. The same thing happened culturally.

Last edited by DTL3000; 02-02-2016 at 11:30 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 11:21 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The dominant culture of the U.S. is derived from northwestern Europe - especially the U.K., France and Germany. Unmistakable similarities exist between the U.S. and those countries.

I would go so far as to say there is an unspoken allegiance by a lot of Americans towards the British royals.
A perverse fascination maybe, but an "unspoken allegiance?"

Old 02-02-2016, 11:55 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
People get upset when I say this but it depends on the demographic origins of the area of the USA you're talking about. People of German and Nordic backgrounds in the USA are more similar to those groups in Europe, same for English, Irish, Italians, Spanish, French, etc. I traveled all over the USA and plenty of Europe and this is my opinion. I travel to Spain today for 6 six weeks in southern Spain...I don't think anywhere in the USA is quite like Spain but you might some elements in New Orleans.
Everyone is mixed up in the U.S now. Most "white" Americans have at least some Native American heritage, and some have even African heritage. Even those who are "purely" of European stock are a mishmash of British, French, Scottish, Irish, Scandinavian, German, Spanish, Italian and Russian heritage. That's also why white Americans look different from Europeans and also rather indistinct from other white Americans (in a good way). In Europe, French people have a distinctive appearance, as do Germans, Russians, Brits and Italians. Their populations are relatively more inbred. For an even more extreme example of a small genetic bottleneck, look at white South Africans. They really look very...ahem...distinctive.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:56 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

I say all this to make an argument that what is thought of as European cultural influence on the US is very much overstated. Colonists from England and France brought over their systems of government and over time and largely independent from Europe, they developed into what's in place today. The same thing happened culturally.
Precisely. In addition, European societies themselves have evolved from what they were 200-300 years ago. I would say that the similarities between the U.S and Europe today are due to American influence on modern European culture rather than the reverse.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:41 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Everyone is mixed up in the U.S now. Most "white" Americans have at least some Native American heritage, and some have even African heritage. Even those who are "purely" of European stock are a mishmash of British, French, Scottish, Irish, Scandinavian, German, Spanish, Italian and Russian heritage. That's also why white Americans look different from Europeans and also rather indistinct from other white Americans (in a good way). In Europe, French people have a distinctive appearance, as do Germans, Russians, Brits and Italians. Their populations are relatively more inbred. For an even more extreme example of a small genetic bottleneck, look at white South Africans. They really look very...ahem...distinctive.
Sorry to break it to you, but most white Americans do not have African American heritage and even less have Native American. There have been DNA studies done on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World