Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM

8,996 posts, read 10,444,723 times

Advertisements

By "national day" I mean your main patriotic holiday.

The USA has several such holidays (including Memorial Day, Veterans' Day, and Presidents' Day) but the main one is, of course, Independence Day. Celebrated on July 4th, it marks the day in 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was signed. For most people, it's a day off work (which is ALWAYS on the 4th, unlike other holidays that move around the calendar). It is typically marked by parades, barbecues, and of course fireworks. Some places hold free outdoor concerts, most notably in Boston where the traditional concert by the Boston Pops always features Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture -- complete with the sound of actual church bells from nearby towers. Rather ironic, since it celebrates a victory against the French, who of course were on the side of the US during the war of independence...

In the Netherlands, where I lived for 3 years, the big patriotic holiday was Queen's Day at the end of April. It has now been renamed to King's Day, but either way it involves big street parties and lots of people dressed up in orange.

Previously I lived in Belgium, whose national day on July 21 is marked by a day off and a military parade in Brussels; I attended it once and found it rather quaint.

I also happened to be in Australia once on Australia Day, but I missed the party because I was flying out that morning. One of you Aussies will have to fill us in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 15 days ago)

43,501 posts, read 44,227,951 times
I know that in France they celebrate Bastille Day on July 14th, in Israel they celebrate the Israeli Independence Day according to a lunar calendar so that date varies somewhere between late April to mid-May, in England they celebrate Guy Fawkes Day on Nov. 5th, in China they celebrate National Day of the People's Republic of China on October 1st and in Australia there is ANZAC Day which is the Memorial Day for their fallen soldiers.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,681,965 times
Israel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Hj0THhKVmNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=qZWycxBVI04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=guZ5o0RoXQo

Old 08-22-2013, 05:24 PM

6,465 posts, read 8,163,642 times
Norway

We had the best National Day ever this year:

Link (link)

Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,476,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
By "national day" I mean your main patriotic holiday.

The USA has several such holidays (including Memorial Day, Veterans' Day, and Presidents' Day) but the main one is, of course, Independence Day. Celebrated on July 4th, it marks the day in 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was signed. For most people, it's a day off work (which is ALWAYS on the 4th, unlike other holidays that move around the calendar). It is typically marked by parades, barbecues, and of course fireworks. Some places hold free outdoor concerts, most notably in Boston where the traditional concert by the Boston Pops always features Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture -- complete with the sound of actual church bells from nearby towers. Rather ironic, since it celebrates a victory against the French, who of course were on the side of the US during the war of independence...

In the Netherlands, where I lived for 3 years, the big patriotic holiday was Queen's Day at the end of April. It has now been renamed to King's Day, but either way it involves big street parties and lots of people dressed up in orange.

Previously I lived in Belgium, whose national day on July 21 is marked by a day off and a military parade in Brussels; I attended it once and found it rather quaint.

I also happened to be in Australia once on Australia Day, but I missed the party because I was flying out that morning. One of you Aussies will have to fill us in.
Sounds a lot like Australia Day. They also have the Australia day Awards, and hold large citizenship ceremonies Across the Country on Australia day.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 PM

2,358 posts, read 7,076,086 times
12 June --- Dia Independencia de Filipinas ( Philippine Independence Day ). It is not only celebrated in the Philippines but celebrated everywhere in the world where Filipino communites are. Abroad, Filipino communities gather together and wear traditional Filipino clothes. The Party starts with the Philippine National Anthem followed by Different Filipino Dances from different regions of the Philippines then followed by Parlour games for entertainment and ends with Potluck lunch or dinner brought by every one.

IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2zjg6tf.jpg[/IMG]

30 Junio--- Dia de la Amistad Hispano- Filipino (Spanish - Filipino Friendship Day ).

04 July--- Philippine American friendship Day

30 December --- Rizal Day ( Philippine National Hero )

Last edited by Hermosaa; 08-22-2013 at 10:31 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,287,994 times
I think midsummer eve is the real national day in Sweden.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:53 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,480,341 times
Spain: 12th October. Anniversary of discoverment of Americas by Columbus.

The main celebration is a militar parade in Madrid, militars and the navy show their militar clothing, weapons, airplanes, tanks, the legions's goat etc. lol Royal family members are there of course.

Apart from that a normal bank holiday, in Latin America it is also bank holiday this day if I am not wrong, also called Día de la Raza.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:25 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,747,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Norway

We had the best National Day ever this year:

Link (link)
Haha, priceless!

The national day in Finland is on 6 December, the day of declaring independence. It's mostly a day of relaxation and being home watching the President's independence ball. Last year 2.2 million watched it, me included. As the day is during the darkest and gloomiest time of the year, people just spend time with friends and family, light candles on war veterans' graves and watch current event TV shows about "what does the independence mean to you?". Maybe a document about past years. A military parade, each year in a different city, is held during the day. One of the few festivities in Finland where alcohol is not usually included.

If the independence day would be like on 6 July, the celebration would be totally different...

Here's from the last year's parade, probably joining the Norwegian forces...

Old 08-23-2013, 06:41 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,747,931 times
Australia Day, 26th of January, the date when the First Fleet arrived and founded Australia, is a huge deal here. The main event is the fireworks display. In Perth, up to half a million people watch it. It lasts about 20 minutes or so. They will often arrive early in the day, to have a barbie, soak up the sun, drink and play sports. As mentioned the 'Australian of the Year' is also announced. Some have protested by calling it 'Invasion Day' for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World