Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
Not that much. In Ukraine, people travel mostly within the country. Most popular tourist destinations is Crimea, which is a popular beach resort, also Carpathian mountains is a quite popular ski resort. Of course, there are else cultural destinations (mostly in Western Ukraine, Eastern Ukraine is mostly industrial region so it doesn't have much cultural attractions): Lviv, for example is well known for its architecture. Out of other countries, the most popular here are Turkey and Egypt. Travelling to Thailand became relatively popular in last times too. Western Europe is less popular mostly because it's more expensive. Also, of course, many people travel to other countries of Eastern Europe (Croatia, Montenegro, Czech republic, Poland, Russia etc).
The Crimea peninsula beach resorts of Ukraine remind me of the sea coastline cities/towns of Romania for domestic tourism: Constanta/Mamaia, Costinesti, Efoire Sud, Vama Veche. I have plenty of family members living there: cousins, aunts, uncles etc. and my parents/sibling are originally from there before immigrating to USA around 25 years ago. I visited this region of Romania at least 4 times in separate years 1 month to 2 months in the summer.

What is the Ukrainian view of Romania? I expected these countries to have good relations and the popularity of tourism between both countries. One of my grandparents from my mother’s side is even originally from Ukraine, and Russia before moving to Romania, even if they consider themselves being mostly pure Romanian in ethnic heritage.

This is completely unprecedented if Thailand Southeast Asia is already becoming popular in tourism for Ukrainians. In Romania, most people are completely not aware of anywhere in Asia and Asia continues to be mostly unknown to people in Romania. However, Turkey, and Egypt in the Middle East are surprisingly popular tourism destinations for Romanians. There is plenty of Romanians traveling to Bulgaria, Greece, Czech Republic, Italy, and France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
What is the Ukrainian view of Romania?
Don't really know.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
Don't really know.
You said you live in Ukraine, so why is the Ukrainian view of Romania not known? They are neighbors after all, and having some similarities in Eastern Europe, so I expected Ukrainians to be familiar with Romania.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:53 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
The Crimea peninsula beach resorts of Ukraine remind me of the sea coastline cities/towns of Romania for domestic tourism: Constanta/Mamaia, Costinesti, Efoire Sud, Vama Veche. I have plenty of family members living there: cousins, aunts, uncles etc. and my parents/sibling are originally from there before immigrating to USA around 25 years ago. I visited this region of Romania at least 4 times in separate years 1 month to 2 months in the summer.

What is the Ukrainian view of Romania? I expected these countries to have good relations and the popularity of tourism between both countries. One of my grandparents from my mother’s side is even originally from Ukraine, and Russia before moving to Romania, even if they consider themselves being mostly pure Romanian in ethnic heritage.

This is completely unprecedented if Thailand Southeast Asia is already becoming popular in tourism for Ukrainians. In Romania, most people are completely not aware of anywhere in Asia and Asia continues to be mostly unknown to people in Romania. However, Turkey, and Egypt in the Middle East are surprisingly popular tourism destinations for Romanians. There is plenty of Romanians traveling to Bulgaria, Greece, Czech Republic, Italy, and France.
I'm not surprised, there are plenty of Russians in Thailand, Vietnam and China these days. Ukrainians would be similar. I think with Vietnam it's because of their former ties with the Soviet Union. Vietnam was probably one of the few places they were allowed to go in that region, so if they wanted a tropical holiday destination they'd go there. Interestingly a lot of Russians also enjoy going to Hainan island, they're the largest group of tourists who go there aside from Chinese.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
I expected Canadians to be more worldly, multicultural, cosmopolitan, and frequently traveling to more regions of the world. There is too much of an emphasis on North America, Caribbean, Central America for travel, and not enough for Europe, and Asia.

What about the people from Vancouver British Columbia or even Toronto traveling to Hong Kong China, the rest of mainland China, Singapore, Thailand, India, and Taiwan?
There is some of that for sure but the ubiquitous, generalized travel experiences are the ones I described in my previous post. Of course, most Canadians who have origins in these countries have been to them but I am not sure that counts as "travel curiosity".

Now I do have quite a few people in my entourage who have been to these places out of curiosity but it's far from being the majority.

Though most people in my entourage (late 30s to mid 40s) are university educated francophones so most have been to Europe (France and other places).

Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Depends on the financial situation. Those with good financial situation generally travel a lot around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World