U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM

22,256 posts, read 25,927,959 times

Advertisements

London is like another world compared to the rest of the UK.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,907,212 times
-Warm, sunny climate well suited to outdoor activities.
-Fantastic beaches and river.
-Not overly crowded, but with most of the conveniences of larger cities.
-Safe, relaxed lifestyle.
-Feels like a city with a promising future.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:59 AM

15,737 posts, read 14,405,511 times
How eccentric ordinary Glasgow folk are.. and funny.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 AM

4,120 posts, read 5,036,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
How eccentric ordinary Glasgow folk are.. and funny.
Very true!

Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 AM

56,648 posts, read 44,928,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen401 View Post
I have yet to come across an urban experience as sublime as walking through Central London on a clear weekend day; with as much joie de vivre, beauty, energy and buzz -- a booming megacity that is diversified, eclectic, changing and developing at an astonishing rate, and isn't an overly liberal culture.

Well, this gives London a run for the money when it comes to joie de vivre, beauty, energy, buzz, and diversity!

Of course, it's a much slower pace, but then that's part of the charm of New Orleans!

(I'm not debating which city is superior, by the way - I like them both, and they're so different they really can't even be compared. Your pictures just reminded me somehow of some of my pictures of New Orleans!)

Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 AM

4,120 posts, read 5,036,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London is like another world compared to the rest of the UK.
I am not a city person, but I do love visiting London (my favourite city). About 4 or 5 days per trip is good. I lived there for about 7 months and wasn't really happy about that, but I could easily visit 3 or 4 times a year.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 AM

9,781 posts, read 17,855,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
-Warm, sunny climate well suited to outdoor activities.
-Fantastic beaches and river.
-Not overly crowded, but with most of the conveniences of larger cities.
-Safe, relaxed lifestyle.
-Feels like a city with a promising future.
The main thing about Perth aside from my family I miss is Freo, ain't anywhere in Australia that fully matches the vibe there.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:43 AM

321 posts, read 559,216 times
I live in Melbourne, Australia and I love it.

The things I love:

- On average, people are pretty fashionable here.
- It's very multicultural. The people, the food etc.
- It has proper winters. Not as cold as Europe of course, but compared to cities such as Sydney or Brisbane where the winters are more mild, Melbourne beats that.
- Very walkable.
- Distinct neighbourhoods. You've got the artsy-fartsy scene, yuppie corporate places, immigrant hubs, rich people areas etc.
- It mixes both the old and new. You've got your traditional Victorian-era style houses, and new architectural places like Federation Square.

I love living here. I'm not a huge fan of Australia as a whole, but I adore Melbourne.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 AM

9,781 posts, read 17,855,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
I live in Melbourne, Australia and I love it.

The things I love:

- On average, people are pretty fashionable here.
- It's very multicultural. The people, the food etc.
- It has proper winters. Not as cold as Europe of course, but compared to cities such as Sydney or Brisbane where the winters are more mild, Melbourne beats that.
- Very walkable.
- Distinct neighbourhoods. You've got the artsy-fartsy scene, yuppie corporate places, immigrant hubs, rich people areas etc.
- It mixes both the old and new. You've got your traditional Victorian-era style houses, and new architectural places like Federation Square.

I love living here. I'm not a huge fan of Australia as a whole, but I adore Melbourne.
Yep I love living here too, sure beats Perth, for me at least!

I would also add it seems less redneck than other cities - at least there are fewer of them in the places I'm familiar with. I can't imagine the Cronulla riots happening here.

Winters aren't that bad, it's only because Australia is blessed with mild winters that people think winters here are so cold. When I moved over people were like 'it must be so cold there!'

Melbourne has a ton of interesting, distinct nabes for everyone. It feels like quite a historic city but also new, growing and on the rise.

If you asked me 20 years ago which city I'd prefer, I would say Sydney. Now I would say Melbourne to live.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 AM

321 posts, read 559,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yep I love living here too, sure beats Perth, for me at least!

I would also add it seems less redneck than other cities - at least there are fewer of them in the places I'm familiar with. I can't imagine the Cronulla riots happening here.

Winters aren't that bad, it's only because Australia is blessed with mild winters that people think winters here are so cold. When I moved over people were like 'it must be so cold there!'

Melbourne has a ton of interesting, distinct nabes for everyone. It feels like quite a historic city but also new, growing and on the rise.

If you asked me 20 years ago which city I'd prefer, I would say Sydney. Now I would say Melbourne to live.
Agree, I'll say Melbourne is a very tolerant city that is widely accepting of different races and religions. Brisbane seems very bogan, same with Adelaide, Sydney seems like a city where races are quite divided, Perth seems like a mixture of redneck/rural while Darwin just seems rural. Hobart seems very green

Yeah, the winters here in Victoria are very mild, but to other states (with the exception of Tasmania), it seems a lot colder here than anywhere else, hence my proper winter comment... my QLD born cousin was moaning about how 13 degrees was so cold!

Melbourne is really vibrant and fast growing IMO, but I doubt if it'll ever overtake Sydney as Australia's major city on the international stage. I actually really like Sydney as much as Melbourne, but that's purely because I think Sydney has fantastic views XD Overall, I like the feel of Melbourne better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World