Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,214,882 times

Advertisements

Loviisa, south coast of Finland.

Old city full of history, nice archipelago, peacefull life, no rush, lot of possibilities for all kind of hobbys...But good connections to the west and east, 50 minutes to the international airport.
Happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM

72,962 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
What I like about my city (Maastricht):

- Mix of modern and ancient architecture
- Very multicultural (many international students, popular tourist destination)
- Border town, very close to (French-speaking) Belgium and Germany
- General attitude to life: laid-back, easy-going, social, tolerant
- Clean, organised and safe
- Not too big (~ 100,000 people) but still enough to do
- Great University with unique educational system (Problem-Based Learning)
- Plenty of parks and green space
- Fascinating history dating back thousands of years

Sounds like a very likable, nice city. Sounds like some things I would like in a city.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
NYC has public transportation system that runs 24/7. It is an unofficial capital of the world with lots of cultural activities and attractions for locals and international tourists alike.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I don't live in a city. I live in a small town nestled between two large cities (Dallas/Fort Worth to the west and Shreveport, Louisiana to the east).

Here's what I love about where I live:

1. There's a rich history of the discovery of oil in this area in the early 1900s. This oil boom brought with it lots of interesting art deco architecture, even in the very small towns. I think that's cool.

2. Texans are very friendly, hardworking, independent, strong people. I like that they will help you to your feet, and then they expect you to stand on your own two feet.

3. I love the green, rolling hills and pastures and woodlands of East Texas. Many people don't realize how green and fertile northeast Texas is. We've got plenty of trees, as well as many lakes and rivers. Hunting and fishing and outdoor activities are a part of life around here.

4. I love the potent mixture of cultures - cowboy, Mexican, African American, urban sophistication is close at hand but country living is never far away.

5. Football, football and then more football! High school football games are THE main attraction in small towns all across Texas, and my town is no exception. If you've never been to a high school football game in small town, America, you're missing out on a heady experience. I love the family atmosphere, the spirit of goodwill, the exuberance of youth, the parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles and kid sisters and brothers and bouncing nieces and nephews, all in team colors, yelling and cheering from the stands. I love the scents from the concession stand, and the excitement of the half time show, the pretty girls twirling and leaping and the band marching briskly in the cool autumn air. I love when the entire stadium jumps to it's feet as a new young star sprints down the field to score. It's wholesome fun at it's very best.

6. Christmas parades - so quaint! The line of antique cars, the goofy floats on the backs of trucks, the cold crowds stomping their feet in the frosty air and waving at their friends and family on the floats, and the sound of church bells in the air...it's nice.

7. The Pumpkin Patch - this is where everyone in town comes with their kids to pick out the Halloween pumpkin to carve together and put on the front porch. Little kids dart in and out of the rows of orange pumpkins, laid out neatly in the churchyard. Parents exchange holiday recipes, while the grandparents snap photos. On Halloween night, parents aren't afraid to let their kids go trick or treating, and the squeals and laughter of a hundred little ghosts and princesses and pirates and cartoon characters fill the night air.

8. Farmers markets - fresh eggs, organic produce, raw honey, tomatoes the size of baseballs and watermelons too big to carry, canned goods and bales of hay.

9. The Christmas tree farm - you ride the haycart back to the rows of trees, pick your own tree, cut it down, and then while it's being wrapped up, you can grab a mug of hot cider and sit by the bonfire and catch up with your neighbors. It always seems like the cold December sky is the deepest, richest shade of blue, and a brisk wind is always blowing the scent of pine and that bonfire and cider into your flushed face.

10. Going to the city! And boy do we have cities - Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Houston...some of the most vibrant cities in the US are within just a few hours' drive, and people from the small towns of Texas make these pilgrimages regularly. Dallas offers fabulous shopping, and KoMart - a huge Asian market. Fort Worth offers a booming art scene, museums, and the historic stockyards - as well as all the boot scootin' you could ever wish for. Austin offers night life and every variety of Texas music. San Antonio offers the riverwalk, the Alamo, missions, and a heady mixture of Texas and Mexico. Houston offers every sort of ethnic vibe you can imagine...with the ocean just a short drive away.

11. I love our weather - yes, summers are hot, but that's what floating the Frio River is for! Spring is a paradise of wildflowers on every roadside, with that big blue expanse of sky above. Fall is often blustery because we sometimes get the leftovers of Gulf hurricanes. Winters are nippy but rarely too cold to get out and enjoy the few weeks of coats and scarves and sweaters.

12. Our economy is strong and unemployment is low. Housing is affordable and the cost of living is reasonable. This means that most people aren't too stressed about money or making it day to day, which means that people are just generally more cheerful than those who are worried or financially strapped. People smile at you, they wave at you as they pass in their car, they strike up conversations at the gas pump or in the checkout line - even if they've never seen you before. This friendliness and extroverted approach transcends lines of race, gender, and ethnicity. People are courteous and affable...and it's genuine.

Those are just a few of the things I love about East Texas. There's a lot more but I'm tired of typing!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:02 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,243,816 times
Mänttä (I'm not including the Vilppula part - there's nothing good about Vilppula), somewhere in Finland.

- Small, pretty much everything is in walking distance
- The people. They are much friendlier here than in most other places that I've lived in Finland, and there's also a good amount of immigrants which makes me feel more at home.
- Lots of lakes and beaches which is very nice in the summer
- Clean and safe (pretty much anyway)

Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 AM

183 posts, read 295,315 times
My favourite city is the one I live in İstanbul
I would say the cosmopolitan nature of the city it is well intoxicating to me at least also it offers a lot to take in and I dont know a city divided by passing water just does it for me

Old 09-03-2013, 06:01 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,562,375 times
Bucharest

-Extreme architectural diversity (see my photo thread on Europe section)
-Many sunny days and pleasantful climate overall
-Good food for a vegan
-Lot of vegetation: many trees along streets, parks, old houses with gardens
-Lots of lakes
-Cleanliness and security (little crime)
-Lively atmosphere, relaxed people

Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,180,891 times
Oslo, Norway:

The only larger city in the country
Great job market
Natural landscape (hills, coast, woods)
Great for outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, cycling)

Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,303 times
São Paulo:

My parents and most of my friends live here
Plenty of services and cultural life
Vibrant nightlife
Richest city of the country
The climate is mostly mild
Many beautiful parks
The pollution levels are relatively low for a city with this size
Most people is open minded
It's placed a few kilometers of some beautiful beaches and romantic mountain towns.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 09-03-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 02:23 PM

250 posts, read 502,902 times
I have yet to come across an urban experience as sublime as walking through Central London on a clear weekend day; with as much joie de vivre, beauty, energy and buzz -- a booming megacity that is diversified, eclectic, changing and developing at an astonishing rate, and isn't an overly liberal culture.

Last edited by Citizen401; 09-03-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World