Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:12 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,672,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Only if you were N.Vietnamese.
Actually most of the bombing and deaths were in Southern Vietnam. I've seen the devastation first hand...still here stories of how much the Vietnamese hated the Americans for slaughtering innocents...I'm not saying people SHOULD hate, but it seems a lot of younger Viets care more about McDonald's than all that stuff.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 AM

4,117 posts, read 5,524,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Some Americans can't seem to tell the difference between anti-Americanism and legitimate criticism of US foreign policy and other aspects of US politics. It's as silly as calling people anti-Arab or anti-Muslim for criticising the Taliban or Al-Qaeda.
The comments I've heard include political criticism, the fact that there are so many stupid people there or they wouldn't have voted for Bush (agree), religious fanatics, too loud, guns, guns, guns, arrogant, have destroyed the English language. I've been sneered at when people in England have heard my accent (midwest) and I'm no longer too loud. Fortunately, in Scotland I only hear jokes about Americans but then Scots make fun of every nationality so they are equal opportunity p*sh takers.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,258 times
I have lived in Europe for several years and find myself subjected to anti-American sentiment every couple of months, sometimes more. The worst of it seems to come from the British, which is actually bizarre if you think about it given Britain's habit of supporting the US in most global conflicts in recent memory (Syria being the exception). Also, the most virulent criticism comes from people in their 20s or from those who have never been to the States.

An Irish guy said to me once that he was boycotting tourism to the US because it's a war-mongering nation and it was against his moral code, despite his penchant for going on holiday in the UK. While not "technically" anti-American (more like anti-US government), this is the kind of criticism that one normally finds in Europe.

I was trying to get some social help in France, as it became my place of residence during a short study period there. I actually have a visa from another European country and didn't need a visa to enter or live in France. Somehow to get this specific form of social support, however, I needed to present a French visa. A French person nearby, not realizing that I could understand them, said "Stupid American! She doesn't know she needs a visa to enter this country!". This was followed by lots of nasty laughter and hostile looks in my direction.

I have a German friend who told me she's also seen anti-Americanism in action. She was at a party with a Canadian friend of hers who was talking to a European woman (I forget the country). The European was giving her a chilly reception, until the Canadian revealed her country of origin. At this point, the European's face lit up, she immediately became more friendly, and said, "Oh, I thought you were American!".

Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,869,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
I have a German friend who told me she's also seen anti-Americanism in action. She was at a party with a Canadian friend of hers who was talking to a European woman (I forget the country). The European was giving her a chilly reception, until the Canadian revealed her country of origin. At this point, the European's face lit up, she immediately became more friendly, and said, "Oh, I thought you were American!".
Even back in the 1970's I knew American friends, who would wear the Canadian flag on their backpacks not to be identified as Americans when traveling in Europe.

Things have not changed.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times
Oh please. I've traveled throughout Europe, with my pronounced Texan accent, and I can count the negative comments or rudeness based on me being an American on one hand with fingers left over. I've never hidden the fact that I'm American, been ashamed of it, or been harassed because of it. (The only blatantly rude people I've encountered - rude BECAUSE I was American - were in Vienna, which isn't a city known for it's friendliness anyway.)

Of course, I am a polite traveler. That might have something to do with the overall pleasantness of my interactions with the local people.

Usually when people find out I'm from Texas, they become very curious and conversational, and that's fine.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,184,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
There is no anti American feelings really. This is bs of propaganda.

This is created by the US government to brainwash you for you to stay in usa and spend your money in usa only. They want you to be a bunch of consumers. Be in debt and enslave yourself in the US system. Just look at what you know in geography, it's clear they don't want you to leave usa.

I see usa guys in Asia or else and ask me why people hate them, I said it's not you that people hate, it s your dumb us government. Usa people are just a bunch of sheeps with no much neurons left and have no clue what s going on in the world expect what is broadcasted on cnn.

We like Americans. Just look by the number of people who wear usa t-shirt and hats.
Please I saw some French tourist the other day and they were wearing t shirts with the flag of France on it. Brainwash lol...we defiantly are not brainwashed and stop watching those YouTube videos of people making fun of Americans in geography.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 AM

2,673 posts, read 5,431,450 times
People might not always agree with American foreign policy but that doesn't mean they are anti American. They most probably don't agree with a lot of things about their own country as well. I think anti-Americanism is exaggerated. I think Americans are very popular in a lot of countries. If you are a pleasant person people will respond in kind.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,090,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
That's great. But I have.
Ah, but I do not travel to England...I encounter enough English people here

Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 AM

22,139 posts, read 29,456,548 times
To be honest, I'd probably be anti-American if I encountered Ameriscot too.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:27 AM

4,117 posts, read 5,524,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh please. I've traveled throughout Europe, with my pronounced Texan accent, and I can count the negative comments or rudeness based on me being an American on one hand with fingers left over. I've never hidden the fact that I'm American, been ashamed of it, or been harassed because of it. (The only blatantly rude people I've encountered - rude BECAUSE I was American - were in Vienna, which isn't a city known for it's friendliness anyway.)

Of course, I am a polite traveler. That might have something to do with the overall pleasantness of my interactions with the local people.

Usually when people find out I'm from Texas, they become very curious and conversational, and that's fine.
Just because you have not encountered many negative comments doesn't mean no one else has. Everyone's experiences are not exactly like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World